Forensic Neuropsch. resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lunabin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just accepted a postion in forensic neuropsych. and am looking for recommended readings/materials specifically for forensics.

My backround has been exclusively in clinical application (mostly medical settings) and I'm feeling the need to study up... any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd also love to hear some recommendations from those of you who are involved in forensic psych.

Its not something I had even considered until recently and I'm fairly certain my graduate program won't provide ANY training in it (but maybe I could find some post-doc training in it?), but the idea of consulting on civil cases involving emotional damages sounds incredibly fun and fits well with my research interests. I just don't have even a basic idea of how one goes about getting into forensic psych since I've never even come across anyone who does it.

Richard Rogers -Clinical Assessment of Malingering and Deception
Potherus et al: Psychological Assessments for the Courts
Larabee -Forensic Neuropsychology:A Scientific Approach
MacNeil: Handbook serise on Forensic Neuropsychology
I think Bob MacCafferay and Jerry Sweet also have books in that area.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very helpful - though I hate to think that I will be cramming for my new job, I really do want to be as prepared as I can be.

On a tangential subject - getting this far in grad school (actually, I'm almost done) - I'm amazed at how much is not taught. I love that I'm constantly learning everyday! It's funny how I am so close to having a Ph.D., and yet still feel like I am just beginning to learn...

Have you heard the old saying:
"When you get a BS you think you know everything
When you get your MS you realize you know nothing
When you get your PhD you still realize you know nothing but it is ok because now you know no one else does either"

When you get your PhD you still realize you know nothing but it is ok because now you know no one else does either"

I haven't heard that one, but I can completely relate! It's funny how much "advice" like that I read/heard early in grad school... 5 years later, and now I understand!

There really is nothing anyone can say/do to really prepare for this kind of experience. Despite the many many many obstacles along the way, I love it!

That is so going in my sig, thanks!

-t

I just accepted a postion in forensic neuropsych. and am looking for recommended readings/materials specifically for forensics.

My backround has been exclusively in clinical application (mostly medical settings) and I'm feeling the need to study up... any recommendations?
Lunabin,

How did you get into forensic neuropsych? I've had an interest in forensic psych. for some time and have recently become interested in neuro and health psych. Forensic neuropsych. would be the best way to combine my interests, both new and old. Any info that you, or anyone else, could provide would be most appreciated! Thanks.

there are a lot of us NP's who do forensic work because of the nature of the referrals (i.e. TBI secondary to MVA, fall at work, etc). There are no programs in forensic NP. Rather, if you are trained in NP you could end up at a site that does a fair amount of forensic work. The is not a specialty unto itself.