Forensic psychiatrisc NP expert witnesses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyguru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this true:

6 Subspecialties for Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners

Look under forensics in the article.

I have heard of psych np experts involved in med mal cases involving nps but not doing insanity or other evals.

I dont think the article is credible. I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

When the author has to include that they have a "bachelor’s degree in studio arts, which she uses to enhance patient care, promote the nursing profession, and solve complex problems", that should be enough for a reasonable person to not take them very seriously.

The nursing lobby can sell these degrees and churn out hundreds of "qualified experts" all they like, but ultimately, it's up to patients and the legal system to decide if they want to rely on the training (or lack thereof) of these practitioners.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never seen an NP do forensic work other than work that non-forensic doctors usually do such as write a 72 hour hold (though in most states a doctor needs to sign it).

In malpractice cases it's standard to get someone to objectively evaluate the defendant's practice. So it seems fine for an NP to evaluate another NP, but for other forensic work such as an NGRI, no I've never seen a NP do that.

In an NGRI it's usually a very serious issue. Although one could claim NGRI for even a misdemeanor, at that point the court overwhelmingly doesn't want to go there cause it makes things expensive, long, and drawn out, and they'd rather either just the person get help or drop the case.

Nothing against NPs. I know good ones, but NGRI requires good legal training on the part of the evaluator, and training that I've never seen someone in an NP program offer.

I could see, however, an NP working on a forensic unit, and doing perhaps some of the more simpler evaluations that won't lead to serious long-term consequences. I've never seen it done but I could see an NP doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users