Forensic Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here a forensic fellow or know alot about forensic psychiatry? If so what kind of demand is there for forensic psychiatrists? What is the typical lifestyle (including salary...i've heard rumors of FPs making a lotta cash for high-profile cases).

I'm an MSII doing research this year in forensic psychiatry (competency assessment tools) and have a background (masters) in bioethics...I think this sets me up nicely for a career in forensic psychiatry. I'm not too interested in working for the public mental health system, though. What other oopportunities might there be.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm doing a psych rotation at a prison for the criminally insane, so while I'm not a doctor I have picked up on a few things about forensic psych.

As far as life style goes, forensic psychiatrists do make more money on average than general psychiatrists due to all the court appearances they have to make.

I don't know if there are many opportunities to work outside the mental health system since forensic pshychiatrists mostly work within a medical/legal system so I can't help you there.

Forensic psych, IMO, requires huge amounts of patience. You deal with some very special patients some of which are VERY needy.

That's really the best I can tell you. If you're interested in forensic psych you should do a rotation at a psychiatric prison. I highly recommend it.

i think i read on the CIA webpage that they are looking to recruit psychiatrists...so that would be cool to work for the cia or other intelligence agencies...

Members don't see this ad :)
Forensic psychiatrists do not act like physicians because their duty is to the court to give an objective and accurate assessment of a patient's state of mind. You do not have the patients' best interest in mind.

You can make more money in cardiology and any surgical subspecialties.

Hey wonderer:

Check the title of the forum before posting. If you do not care for psychiatry, why waste your time posting in this forum.

Now go act like a REAL physician and make your money in cardiology.

PH

Dude, chill! There is a reason I don't like premed.

I stated the facts. I do not B.S. What is wrong with that?

It is always strange when someone who does not have much clinical experience and comes in and say that certain subspecialties in psych make lots of money (child psych, forensic, etc.). That's true to some extent (you can make 200k instead of 130-150k). But no docs choose psychiatry to make money. They are not that stupid. With a medical degree, there are other much much more ludicrative fields out there (even emergency medicine attendings start off making 200k). Otherwise, they would be fighting for spots in surgical subspecialities or go into a prestigious internal medicine residency program so they can procure a cardiology/GI/allergy fellowships later. That's all I said.

While you're entitled to your opinion I can't help but disagree with what you said about forensic psychiatrists not having the patients best interest at heart. I've met some very compassionate forensic psychiatrists who really care about their patients and do their best to bring them to a functioning social level. If a patient is not ready to be put back into society for whatever specific clinical criteria then they need to continue their therapy. IMO that IS in the patients best interest.