Forget US News - whats your favorite med school on this list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where would you want to go the most?

• UCSF

Votes: 81 22.6%
  • Stanford

Votes: 56 15.6%
  • Harvard

Votes: 76 21.2%
  • Hopkins

Votes: 42 11.7%
  • UCLA

Votes: 38 10.6%
  • Penn

Votes: 66 18.4%

• Total voters

trying

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of these choices, where would you want to go the most?

Members don't see this ad.

in all honesty, harvard.

because i know the area and many students, and love both.

UCSF -- because they just instituted a law where you can take sick days without actually being sick. And I love wine.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of the above would be on my list of places I would apply....but if FORCED to choose, I'd say either Hopkins or Penn, although the final decision would come down to which of the six choices would end up costing me the least.

Haha, I'm the only one who's voted for Hopkins so far. I'm not from CA, so I those schools aren't that appealing to me as they might be for CA residents.

I chose Hopkins because their reputation isn't just because of US news, I really think they have an amazing program, research opportunities, etc.

BTW, I didn't apply, because there was just no way that I would get in, but if I had possessed the scores I definitely would have.

Stanford. I like the enviroment of the school.

Haha, I'm the only one who's voted for Hopkins so far. I'm not from CA, so I those schools aren't that appealing to me as they might be for CA residents.

I chose Hopkins because their reputation isn't just because of US news, I really think they have an amazing program, research opportunities, etc.

BTW, I didn't apply, because there way no way that I would get in, but had I had the scores I definitely would have.

it was bw hopkins and penn for me.

i think hopkins is probably a solid 2nd or 3rd top choice for most ppl just bc of the location.

Whichever is the cheapest.

If they are all the same, Harvard.

Stolenspatulas, you don't even spell Columbia correctly in your mdapplicants profile page. You spell it like the country. I should get your interview. Haha, jk.

Which med schools are you interested in applying too, DropkickMurphy?

None of the above would be on my list of places I would apply....but if FORCED to choose, I'd say either Hopkins or Penn, although the final decision would come down to which of the six choices would end up costing me the least.

Stolenspatulas, you don't even spell Columbia correctly in your mdapplicants profile page. You spell it like the country. I should get your interview. Haha, jk.

Haha, Colombia. Yeah, they should revoke that interview (j/k ;) )

Members don't see this ad :)

i was hoping for a tan in south america, to be honest with you.

please dont fine me spelling police! (i just got a damn ticket the other day and now my insurance is up :eek: )

Which med schools are you interested in applying too, DropkickMurphy?
I'll be applying to about 25-30 MD programs- the ones that jump out at me are EVMS, Drexel, Pitt, Temple, CCLCM and a few others. Basically I'm applying to those programs where my numbers and EC's will make me above average (with the exception of CCLCM which is just my "reach" school).

I will also be applying to the DO schools and Ireland as possible backups.

i chose stanford - it's ucsf with a bit more prestige, for impressing your mother-in-law.

Are you kidding me? UCSF is higher-ranked, cheaper, and in a better city.

I'm pretty sure Stanford is cheaper. I know looking at numbers it doesn't seem like it but they have so much financial aid. They have the lowest graduating debt amount. If your parents pay 15K a year, the school will match it. They give you $12,500 for each research project (you can do up to 7). You really can't get much cheaper than Stanford. All equal, I would go to UCSF. (I hate the fact Stanford doesn't even rank for primary care!!..)

i'm lovin the SF love on this poll!!!

this poll isn't generalizable to anything, except for ppl making choices among the particular six schools the op happened to select. let's not get too excited about this one.

I find it funny that Hopkins is losing to UCLA. :laugh:

I don't think the list is fair because three of the schools are in Canada.

Why is Hopkins getting creamed here? Is it Baltimore?

Why is Hopkins getting creamed here? Is it Baltimore?

definitely.

why is ucla doing surprisingly well? bc its not in baltimore.

(i think if you asked 20 random premeds where there first choice would be none would say ucla.... maybe some here really really really like LA)

Yeah, but Philly isn't all that, and Penn is doing pretty well. :confused:

:confused: i picked penn bc i was impressed by philly as well as the school (my second was hopkins)

philly>>>>>baltimore (at least it seems that way from short visits to both places)

Are you kidding me? UCSF is higher-ranked, cheaper, and in a better city.

well, as to the higher ranked thing, i thought we were ignoring us news? i can't argue with the better city part, because i'm freezing my butt off in sf as we speak. cheaper? probably, but since this is hypothetical money doesn't concern me. i'd still rather go to stanford, just to have the association with the school - i'm already a semi-proud uc alumni.

:confused: i picked penn bc i was impressed by philly as well as the school (my second was hopkins)

philly>>>>>baltimore (at least it seems that way from short visits to both places)

Wow! I don't how much you saw of Philly, but having visited both cities on multiple occasions over the years, that seems a bit exaggerated to me.

EDIT: Of course, to each their own!

I didn't research or apply to any of those schools so the only one I could choose is Penn because it is so close to NY. I am very tied down to my home state :)

I didn't research or apply to any of those schools so the only one I could choose is Penn because it is so close to NY. I am very tied down to my home state :)

Can we please subtract one from Penn's total? We have another ignorant voter here! ;) :p

Nothing but love for ya, but why did you even bother voting? :p

Can we please subtract one from Penn's total? We have another ignorant voter here! ;) :p

i think its pretty much the same case for people that chose california schools... (ie UCLA)

I really wish someone would burn every copy of the US News 'even though we know jack lets rank the hell out of everything' edition every year.

Philadelphia is 90 miles from NYC. It's about 2 hours by bus and even less if you fork out the money for the Amtrak express train. That's pretty close IMO.

Also, I've spent some time in both cities (sure, more time in Philly) and Philly deserves at least:

Philly >> Baltimore

Baltimore and Philly both have nice burbs, but Philly has a much larger and much more livable downtown. Baltimore's liveable downtown is pretty much just the harbor and is as expensive as Philadelphia's much larger center city area (and there's more than just that).

Philadelphia is 90 miles from NYC. It's about 2 hours by bus and even less if you fork out the money for the Amtrak express train. That's pretty close IMO.

Yeah, but Baltimore is only 40 miles from the nation's capitol. Oh, and the Ravens and Orioles are superior to the Eagles and Phillies. :p

Haha, yeah I am pretty ignorant when it comes to these schools but have no fear, I didn't touch the poll. The post was more of a "if I was going to vote, I would vote for..." kind :)

Yeah, but Baltimore is only 40 miles from the nation's capitol. Oh, and the Ravens and Orioles are superior to the Eagles and Phillies. :p

That's almost like saying, "yeah well a C was only two grade levels below an A."

Baltimore has some serious work to do. Removing itself from comparison with Zimbabwe with respect to corruption would be a good starting point.

I voted for UCSF. But, having an acceptance from them makes me very biased. : D.

That's almost like saying, "yeah well a C was only two grade levels below an A."

What? :confused:

I'm missing the connection here. Neuronix was praising Philly for being 90 miles from NYC, so I thought it was appropriate to point out the fact that Baltimore is only 40 miles from DC. How is that like saying a C is only two grade levels below an A?

b/c im on the west coast, and i think they get more applications than any other school

What? Okay granted my MSAR is 2006-2007, but I have UCLA Geffen at 7018. Tufts (8368) and BU (8873) each have over a thousand more, New York Medical at 8824.

If I have to pay, there are at least 10 others I'd take ahead of these. These seem to be located in some places with plentiful living costs. Twist my arm, and I'd say San Fran or Stanford because of the city, but I'd take UCSD over either.

These are indeed all excellent schools, but I would be more likely to go to Duke, UVa, Baylor, Wash, or Michigan than any of these. Then if I wanted to, I'd still stand a pretty good shot of interviewing at all of the above for PGY (i.e. when I'm being paid to be there) assuming that my boards were good.

None of the above.

I voted for UCSF. But, having an acceptance from them makes me very biased. : D.

thats assume dude. i wish i was from california, i think i would have a pretty solid shot there if i was...eh.