1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Forgot my recommenders

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Scyph, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Scyph

I filled out my secondaries back in September, but my recommenders didn't get the recommendations in until December.

I had asked for five recommendations. I mistakenly relied on memory, and now I can't recall who I said would send recommendations for me to UVA, Penn State and Jefferson. I can't seem to access my secondary to check. And of course I didn't save a copy for my records.

So now what? Will it look bad if I call the schools and ask? Should I send all five? Is there any other way to access the applications or at least the names of the recommenders? Does anyone else have the same problem?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. zenlike

zenlike I'll see you in health.
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You could look at the LOR requirements for the schools you applied to on their websites or in the MSAR to jog your memory.

4. Scyph

Zenlike, thanks. I did look (except I couldn't find Jefferson's instructions at all). Sadly, there're many possible combinations for each school.

Also I don't remember whether those colleges even asked who would write recommendations in the secondary. Penn State and UVA make it sound like I could send more than the required minimum, and I don't remember a single school that did not ask for exactly 3 recommendations asking for names in the secondary. But again... stupid memory.

Edit: if I sent more than the stated number, what will they do? Just trash the extra ones? And think I'm a pest?

5. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i believe extra recs are totally ok with most schools. i had a total of 7 recs and a committee letter.

6. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I almost had the same problem, but it took me 30 seconds to figure it out when I logged into interfolio (delivery reciept). Didn't you use something similar to send your stuff in? Also, I would totally send in all 5. You'll be fine.

7. Scyph

I didn't send them from interfolio yet, that's the problem.

So if you send more recommendations than needed, would that be bad--especially if I didn't indicate it on the application?

8. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've done it with a few schools actually, where I indicated on the app that I would send in 3, but I ended up sending 4.

I didn't think the 4th one would come in time, which is why I had initially told them I would send 3. No one mentioned anything in my interviews. I'm very glad I did what I did.

:luck: