MD & DO Forgot to mention... 3.35 GPA 3.6 BCPM 35 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hiyalol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going over my transcript and forgot to mention in my "What are my chances?" post I made a few weeks ago that I had a W for Trig (Winter semester) and then when I decided to take it again during the summer (Summer 2) and got an F. My GPA did go down from a 3.0 to 2.9 something but afterwards is where my gpa average was 3.8-4.0 for the next 4 semesters, including re-taking trig and got a A to prove to admissions that I could do it. From the 2.9 I brought it up to 3.35 cgpa and 3.6 sgpa (that is with the re-takes, without it is around 3.48 GPA for MD). I am going to be applying next year for D.O.s and M.D.s but I am worried about the trig course retake. Also if they see my upward trend in GPA for 4 semesters after that Trig summer 2 course will they take into consideration that trig re-take?

The reason why I failed was too many family trips happened during that time (4 week period) and I had to take some tests early so I can leave for the trip which put me in a position to take a whole chapter test 4 days before the schedule date which only gave me 4 hours to study an entire chapter for 2 of the 4 tests. I am not the type to make excuses but that is the plain truth. I have a 35 on the MCAT which may offset any confusion about my intelligence but with the 4 straight semesters of straight As and some Bs it shows a strong upward trend. Will my recent years be taken into consideration more than my past since it is a large spike from my Cs and 2 Fs in the past (I re-took and got As on both).

Sorry for all the questions but would really appreciate anyone's input. Thanks! @Catalystik

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your history of bad choice making will be noted. However, you numbers are competitive. Schools do like upward trends. I hope your ECs are good.

I was going over my transcript and forgot to mention in my "What are my chances?" post I made a few weeks ago that I had a W for Trig (Winter semester) and then when I decided to take it again during the summer (Summer 2) and got an F. My GPA did go down from a 3.0 to 2.9 something but afterwards is where my gpa average was 3.8-4.0 for the next 4 semesters, including re-taking trig and got a A to prove to admissions that I could do it. From the 2.9 I brought it up to 3.35 cgpa and 3.6 sgpa (that is with the re-takes, without it is around 3.48 GPA for MD). I am going to be applying next year for D.O.s and M.D.s but I am worried about the trig course retake. Also if they see my upward trend in GPA for 4 semesters after that Trig summer 2 course will they take into consideration that trig re-take?

The reason why I failed was too many family trips happened during that time (4 week period) and I had to take some tests early so I can leave for the trip which put me in a position to take a whole chapter test 4 days before the schedule date which only gave me 4 hours to study an entire chapter for 2 of the 4 tests. I am not the type to make excuses but that is the plain truth. I have a 35 on the MCAT which may offset any confusion about my intelligence but with the 4 straight semesters of straight As and some Bs it shows a strong upward trend. Will my recent years be taken into consideration more than my past since it is a large spike from my Cs and 2 Fs in the past (I re-took and got As on both).

Sorry for all the questions but would really appreciate anyone's input. Thanks! @Catalystik

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking of just applying to all DO schools and some MD. I will have good ECs since I'll be volunteering with H&H and some other organizations with shadowing. Will DO schools look more favorably since their average is around 26-28 MCAT, and GPA is around the 3.4 cgpa and 3.5 sgpa and mine is quite low for cgpa but above the requirements for sgpa and significantly high for MCAT score?

I am thinking of just applying to all DO schools and some MD. I will have good ECs since I'll be volunteering with H&H and some other organizations with shadowing. Will DO schools look more favorably since their average is around 26-28 MCAT, and GPA is around the 3.4 cgpa and 3.5 sgpa and mine is quite low for cgpa but above the requirements for sgpa and significantly high for MCAT score?

If you're willing to go DO youll be fine. I think you'll get into some MD schools too. I wouldn't worry about the withdrawal and F since DO schools replace the grade. I had 5 withdrawals in college and no one even mentioned it in an interview. However your excuse for it is pretty dumb honestly. I was accepted to 2/3 schools I interviewed at. What are your EC's?