Form AT, and that stupid mutations problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yea I had that really really tough form. But just to make sure I wasnt the only who thought that. Can some genius tell me what the answer for that mutations problem was........where the choices were all A*Y*Z*/A*Y*Z*. I dont even know what I put as an answer, all i know is, i spent about five minutes trying to figure it out. Also, did anyone get that ekg passage question, the one asking about how the guys T curve changed after the experiment when he started running. I said it would be higher, atleast i think i put that. I totally guesses all of it, but who knows...

Members don't see this ad.

If you are talking about the lac operon passage, i think the answer was D. The answer was like this i thing : I-O+Z+/I+OcZ-. That was a tough one.

ok, how did u figure that one out. I know that the I mutant cant effect the other allele, jus its own, and the O can effect both. But whats up with the answers, so many same ones.

I+ can affect both dna strips, because it codes for a protein that inhibits the stuff...i forget, i know it's d though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The point was to find the mutant that had an intact operator gene and B-gal gene (O+ and Z+) but a defective gene for the inhibitor (which binds to the operator). The other mutant can have a defective operator and Bgal gene but must have a functional I gene. Answer D is right.

Originally posted by basha
ok, how did u figure that one out. I know that the I mutant cant effect the other allele, jus its own, and the O can effect both. But whats up with the answers, so many same ones.

the trick was that O was cis acting, so the normal O had to be with the normal Z...........the normal I however, since it was trans acting, could be on a chromsome separate from the normal O and Z. ..........O+ and Z+ had to be together....................that was the trick.....the end of the passage talked about what cis and trans acting were.

nero