• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

    Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Form CS

SensesFail

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2004
282
0
  1. Medical Student
    What the hell?!? Absolutely got owned today. :( Anybody else have this form? PS was ridiculous. Depressed. I really hope the saying that "The people who thought they did really horrible usually end up with better marks than people who thought it went smooth" is right. Either way, I highly doubt I scored higher than a 25. See you all next August. :(
     

    ssk123

    Member
    10+ Year Member
    Aug 9, 2004
    69
    0
    www.mdapplicants.com
      if you thought it was that difficult, i'm sure other people did too. i took the mcat twice. the 1st time, i thought i had totally bombed PS and ended up getting a 10, and the second time, I thought the bio was a b*tch, and I ended up getting a 10 on that too. it's all about that curve. and honestly, it's okay if you take it twice - I did better the 2nd time around, and i think the schools really weigh the 2nd score much more heavily.

      good luck! remember this test is not the end all in whether you will get into med school and definitely not the last word in whether you'll become a good doc.
       

      ethanolabsolute

      Senior Member
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jul 24, 2004
      101
      0
        I had form CM, but I seem to have had the same verbal test that u guys had as well. That's weird, I wonder how all that stuff works with the forms. Do u guys remember any specifics about other sections? Maybe if its form C something then they all have the same passages and questions but in a different order or something? Aw hell, I dunno. I did terrible on that modern america passage though. Most passages in that VR were easy I thought, but the few that were hard were REALLY hard in my opinion.
         
        About the Ads

        N-toxicologist

        the accidental tourist
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Apr 23, 2004
        16,846
        6
        cast in this unlikely role
          I hated the bio on CS, maybe because I kept having to fight sleep, but everybody around me said it was hard, too. PS and VR didn't seem too bad, except for the damn songbirds. Probably means I bombed both of them. And the writing sample? I hope for M--screwed the pooch on both, I think. Now the wait...
           

          larkrose

          Junior Member
          7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Aug 23, 2003
          16
          0
          NY
            I had for DM, but some of those questions I did see..

            For the Johnny one I put that he would have some heart problem, since I remember seeing his cholesterol level really high? and the girl had excitation. As for the calcium yeah I said that neuro because nothing else made sense on their; thought of the polarization, etc. ALso, yeah I put noradreniline for that catech.. Finally, for that one where it drops in temperature I put radiation? Nothing else seemed to make sense but beats me.
             

            SensesFail

            Senior Member
            5+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Apr 10, 2004
            282
            0
            1. Medical Student
              I guessed all C's on the very last passage in Verbal. Ran outta time! Anybody remember if they had at least a couple C's for that last passage? :D
              I guess the first few passages weren't bad. But then they became very detail oriented and difficult to read (limestone, canon liguistics, songbirds, seed dispersion). Really hard.
               

              SensesFail

              Senior Member
              5+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Apr 10, 2004
              282
              0
              1. Medical Student
                Haha, yeah it IS therapeutic to some degree...

                Here's some others I remember

                PS
                a) Drums passage. To get sinusoidal oscillations the guy should use... an AC current? This was the very first question of the test for me.
                b) Not sure if anyone will remember but... the very last independant question in PS. Something about finding the grams of something. Don't entirely remember the question but I remember choosing 80 g. Ring a bell?!
                c) Oooh, the solubility passage about CaCO3. There was one question about "how would you distinguish CaCO3" or something, and the answer choices were a bunch of ions. It was between Ca(2+) and CO3(-2) and I picked the latter. Was that right?
                d) Z,eff. Pretty sure I got it wrong. Increases alot while going down a family and increases only slightly going left to right in a period?

                BS
                a) To make sure that the Z and E forms of the following compound were made in a solution one could note that... only 1 H NMR signal was present? I didn't have a clue on this one. I looked the molecule and saw it would have 2 peaks but this wasn't an answer choice.
                b) In RECOVERING skeletal muscle after exercice, which of the following are built up? Choices were ADP, Glycogen, Lactic Acid and something else. This one had me for like 5 minutes! Eventually I had to move on and I just picked Lactic Acid, even though doesn't seem right if Muscle is RECOVERING.
                c) The Autonomic Nervous System innervates...3 of the 4 answer choices contained Skeletal Muscle so I chose the 4th one. This is right, isn't it? I think the actual choice (I picked) was "has ganglia".
                 

                nanosomic

                Senior Member
                7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Jun 30, 2003
                627
                0
                somewhere city
                  this is my take on the exam- form cs
                  Ps
                  hard. The chemistry passages were harder than the physics ones. I am probably sure of about 5 answers and uncertain about the rest.
                  Verbal
                  stupid, stupid. the passages on birds/islands, caves formation, song birds were killer. Questions for the other passages were too detail. I had to go back too the passages many times to find the answers to the detail questions, spent a lot of time doing that.
                  BS
                  I do not think it was difficult nor easy. I am just uncertain. Lot of neuro stuff which I do not like. One of the Ochem passage was stuff. Even some of the discretes were difficult.
                   

                  bonez318ti

                  Future Rally Medic
                  15+ Year Member
                  Jan 7, 2004
                  416
                  6
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    SensesFail said:
                    Haha, yeah it IS therapeutic to some degree...

                    Here's some others I remember

                    PS
                    a) Drums passage. To get sinusoidal oscillations the guy should use... an AC current? This was the very first question of the test for me.
                    b) Not sure if anyone will remember but... the very last independant question in PS. Something about finding the grams of something. Don't entirely remember the question but I remember choosing 80 g. Ring a bell?!
                    c) Oooh, the solubility passage about CaCO3. There was one question about "how would you distinguish CaCO3" or something, and the answer choices were a bunch of ions. It was between Ca(2+) and CO3(-2) and I picked the latter. Was that right?
                    d) Z,eff. Pretty sure I got it wrong. Increases alot while going down a family and increases only slightly going left to right in a period?

                    BS
                    a) To make sure that the Z and E forms of the following compound were made in a solution one could note that... only 1 H NMR signal was present? I didn't have a clue on this one. I looked the molecule and saw it would have 2 peaks but this wasn't an answer choice.
                    b) In RECOVERING skeletal muscle after exercice, which of the following are built up? Choices were ADP, Glycogen, Lactic Acid and something else. This one had me for like 5 minutes! Eventually I had to move on and I just picked Lactic Acid, even though doesn't seem right if Muscle is RECOVERING.
                    c) The Autonomic Nervous System innervates...3 of the 4 answer choices contained Skeletal Muscle so I chose the 4th one. This is right, isn't it? I think the actual choice (I picked) was "has ganglia".

                    I had form CN:
                    PS
                    a) Yes, Im pretty sure it is AC
                    b) i seem to recall putting 80 also
                    c) no idea about this. i hate solubility.. I think my mind blocked it out
                    d) dont remember this Q..

                    BS
                    a) I put 2 H signals.. but i thought that it would actualy pick up 3 NMR signals b/c there are 3 different types of H's.. so i guess i still dont really know what this question was getting at.
                    b) i dont remember what i put.. maybe glycogen? i was stuck on this too
                    c) I think the ANS innervates only smooth and cardiac muscle. too bad i got it wrong, i chose skelatal/smooth/cardiac. what a stupid mistake.
                     
                    About the Ads

                    bonez318ti

                    Future Rally Medic
                    15+ Year Member
                    Jan 7, 2004
                    416
                    6
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      nanosomic said:
                      what do you think about the passage on tanks on six pillars passage. whats do you guys put for the molecular nature of the pillars when the tanks are full with water, something crazy like that

                      i think i put that they got closer together because there was more force or something.. i cant even remember the exact answer choice..
                       

                      Jon Davis

                      Full Member
                      10+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Nov 15, 2000
                      822
                      2
                      In your consciousness.
                        It has to be neuromuscular, thats the main use of the Ca2+ ions.
                        I remembered that water is a polar compound and so it would line up in a field according to its polarity and therefore it increases the capacity of the capacitor.
                        I cant beleive i didnt get that noradrenaline one but then again i didnt know what a catecholamine was.

                        any input?
                        heres some ideas from a physics webpage i went to:
                        However, this only happens because water in its natural form contains mineral salts which make it conductive. In its purest form (only obtainable through extensive de-gassing, purification and de-ionization), water is in fact a phenomenal dielectric, with a dielectric constant (K) of 80[2]2] and a voltage standoff in the order of several thousand volts per millimeter (this varies enormously with purity and somewhat with temperature). Because it behaves as a near-infinite resistance load for any source of EMF, ultrapure water, as is called the liquid having less than 10^12ohms/m resistance is used in some pulse forming network capacitors and for insulating some special high voltage high frequency lines and the like.
                         

                        nanosomic

                        Senior Member
                        7+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Jun 30, 2003
                        627
                        0
                        somewhere city
                          Jon Davis said:
                          It has to be neuromuscular, thats the main use of the Ca2+ ions.
                          I remembered that water is a polar compound and so it would line up in a field according to its polarity and therefore it increases the capacity of the capacitor.
                          I cant beleive i didnt get that noradrenaline one but then again i didnt know what a catecholamine was.

                          any input?
                          heres some ideas from a physics webpage i went to:
                          However, this only happens because water in its natural form contains mineral salts which make it conductive. In its purest form (only obtainable through extensive de-gassing, purification and de-ionization), water is in fact a phenomenal dielectric, with a dielectric constant (K) of 80[2]2] and a voltage standoff in the order of several thousand volts per millimeter (this varies enormously with purity and somewhat with temperature). Because it behaves as a near-infinite resistance load for any source of EMF, ultrapure water, as is called the liquid having less than 10^12ohms/m resistance is used in some pulse forming network capacitors and for insulating some special high voltage high frequency lines and the like.

                          yeah I still believe that the correct answer was neuromuscular problems.
                           

                          bgreet

                          Dopefish Lives!
                          7+ Year Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Jun 14, 2003
                          799
                          0
                          37
                          NY, NY
                            Jon Davis said:
                            It has to be neuromuscular, thats the main use of the Ca2+ ions.
                            I remembered that water is a polar compound and so it would line up in a field according to its polarity and therefore it increases the capacity of the capacitor.
                            I cant beleive i didnt get that noradrenaline one but then again i didnt know what a catecholamine was.

                            any input?
                            heres some ideas from a physics webpage i went to:
                            However, this only happens because water in its natural form contains mineral salts which make it conductive. In its purest form (only obtainable through extensive de-gassing, purification and de-ionization), water is in fact a phenomenal dielectric, with a dielectric constant (K) of 80[2]2] and a voltage standoff in the order of several thousand volts per millimeter (this varies enormously with purity and somewhat with temperature). Because it behaves as a near-infinite resistance load for any source of EMF, ultrapure water, as is called the liquid having less than 10^12ohms/m resistance is used in some pulse forming network capacitors and for insulating some special high voltage high frequency lines and the like.

                            Wonderful, just another one I got wrong then. I thought water would make the charge zero, since it would conduct the charge from one plate to another. :/ The number I've gotten wrong just keeps climbing. I'm fearing what score I'm going to get now.
                             
                            About the Ads

                            bgreet

                            Dopefish Lives!
                            7+ Year Member
                            15+ Year Member
                            Jun 14, 2003
                            799
                            0
                            37
                            NY, NY
                              SensesFail said:
                              Anyone remember a discrete in BS dealing with UV spectra between 200-300 ppm? Choices were Cylohexanone, 2-methylcyclohexanone, etc... Didn't have a clue for that. Studied H NMR, C NMR, and Infrared, but never came across UV spectra. I think I picked Cyclohexanone. What was the answer!?!?

                              This one I put cyclohexanene becuase UV spectra detect conjugated bonds. Figured there had to be a double bond in there for it to pick up. I don't know if I'm right though.
                               

                              bgreet

                              Dopefish Lives!
                              7+ Year Member
                              15+ Year Member
                              Jun 14, 2003
                              799
                              0
                              37
                              NY, NY
                                Heres another question I had on BS. Something about the amount of CO2 in the blood system with two possible answers. One being that the ph is lower in the right atria than the left and the other being that the pH changes in the pulminary system. I put it changes in the pulminary system hope I was right. :/
                                 

                                willthatsall

                                Unretired
                                7+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Jan 27, 2004
                                2,011
                                8
                                GA
                                  bgreet said:
                                  Heres another question I had on BS. Something about the amount of CO2 in the blood system with two possible answers. One being that the ph is lower in the right atria than the left and the other being that the pH changes in the pulminary system. I put it changes in the pulminary system hope I was right. :/

                                  don't recall having this question, but I had form CH. But just intuitively it seems like both of these are possible answers.
                                   

                                  SensesFail

                                  Senior Member
                                  5+ Year Member
                                  15+ Year Member
                                  Apr 10, 2004
                                  282
                                  0
                                  1. Medical Student
                                    ASDIC said:
                                    did any of you have a passage on the SARs virus...there was this question about it is unreliable to test for antibodies before 28 days after viral infection?

                                    does anyone know why?

                                    Yeah I remember that question. I remember I had it down to two for this one. I think I ended up putting the option that said "because it would take 28 days before enough antibodies specific to the virus were produced in enough quantity to be detected". Not too sure though
                                     

                                    bgreet

                                    Dopefish Lives!
                                    7+ Year Member
                                    15+ Year Member
                                    Jun 14, 2003
                                    799
                                    0
                                    37
                                    NY, NY
                                      I'm just curious... doesn't an insulator resist change and a conductor experience the most change? Therefore shouldn't the answer be conductor? A good example that I can think of is metal on a cold day.... the metal quickly becomes cold (remember all those movies/cartoons with the kid getting his tongue stuck to the metal pole?)
                                       
                                      About the Ads

                                      nanosomic

                                      Senior Member
                                      7+ Year Member
                                      15+ Year Member
                                      Jun 30, 2003
                                      627
                                      0
                                      somewhere city
                                        ASDIC said:
                                        did any of you have a passage on the SARs virus...there was this question about it is unreliable to test for antibodies before 28 days after viral infection?

                                        does anyone know why?


                                        I remember this and I put the ans. choice that says it will take around 28 days to actually detect the antibodies. My logic was 28 days is a longtime for the immune system to respond to the viral infection so I did not choose the one you chose
                                         

                                        nanosomic

                                        Senior Member
                                        7+ Year Member
                                        15+ Year Member
                                        Jun 30, 2003
                                        627
                                        0
                                        somewhere city
                                          ASDIC said:
                                          I got raped in verbal in CS...5 passages that killed me: limestone caves, bird songs repertoire, evolution in islands, language and literature and the hopelessness of modern america.

                                          The sciences were not bad tho.

                                          I feel ya. I had no clue, I mean nada on the evolution in islands passage. I was just saying to myself wtf, wtf....oh well
                                           

                                          VPDcurt

                                          2K Member
                                          15+ Year Member
                                          Jul 20, 2004
                                          2,644
                                          23
                                          1. Attending Physician
                                            bgreet said:
                                            I'm just curious... doesn't an insulator resist change and a conductor experience the most change? Therefore shouldn't the answer be conductor? A good example that I can think of is metal on a cold day.... the metal quickly becomes cold (remember all those movies/cartoons with the kid getting his tongue stuck to the metal pole?)


                                            I believe I put "radiator." A refrigerant is a substance that draws heat from other substances and is constantly recycled so it can continue to perform the cooling. A radiator is something that gives off heat and thus cools itslef. Who the hell knows - only time will tell.
                                             

                                            Shrike

                                            Lanius examinatianus
                                            10+ Year Member
                                            Apr 23, 2004
                                            646
                                            4
                                            too far south
                                              bgreet said:
                                              I'm just curious... doesn't an insulator resist change and a conductor experience the most change? Therefore shouldn't the answer be conductor? A good example that I can think of is metal on a cold day.... the metal quickly becomes cold (remember all those movies/cartoons with the kid getting his tongue stuck to the metal pole?)
                                              An insulator is something whose thermal conductivity is low; heat has a hard time passing through it. Temperature will (as in the problem) be different on the two sides of it, because it takes time for temperature to equalize and meanwhile heat has moved faster in the substances on either side of it.

                                              Metal on a cold day is not colder than air to begin with, but if feels colder, because it is a good conductor -- heat from your skin moves into the metal rapidly. The surface you're touching will get colder, but the difference between that temperature and the temp on the other side will be less than with an insulator.

                                              Maybe this is easier -- imagine a perfect insulator and a perfect conductor. In the former case, the two temperatures are very different -- whatever the internal and external temperatures would otherwise be. In the latter case, they have to be exactly the same at the very surface, because heat moves infinitely fast (actually, at the speed of electrons in the material) through it.
                                               

                                              bgreet

                                              Dopefish Lives!
                                              7+ Year Member
                                              15+ Year Member
                                              Jun 14, 2003
                                              799
                                              0
                                              37
                                              NY, NY
                                                Shrike said:
                                                An insulator is something whose thermal conductivity is low; heat has a hard time passing through it. Temperature will (as in the problem) be different on the two sides of it, because it takes time for temperature to equalize and meanwhile heat has moved faster in the substances on either side of it.

                                                Metal on a cold day is not colder than air to begin with, but if feels colder, because it is a good conductor -- heat from your skin moves into the metal rapidly. The surface you're touching will get colder, but the difference between that temperature and the temp on the other side will be less than with an insulator.

                                                Maybe this is easier -- imagine a perfect insulator and a perfect conductor. In the former case, the two temperatures are very different -- whatever the internal and external temperatures would otherwise be. In the latter case, they have to be exactly the same at the very surface, because heat moves infinitely fast (actually, at the speed of electrons in the material) through it.

                                                I understand, perhaps I misconstrued the original question that was asked? I thought it was basically an equilibrium question, asking why a particular material changed its temperature rapidly (turned cold very quickly). I'm assuming at this point that I misread the question on the test and answered it incorrectly. :rolleyes:
                                                 

                                                Shrike

                                                Lanius examinatianus
                                                10+ Year Member
                                                Apr 23, 2004
                                                646
                                                4
                                                too far south
                                                  bgreet said:
                                                  I understand, perhaps I misconstrued the original question that was asked? I thought it was basically an equilibrium question, asking why a particular material changed its temperature rapidly (turned cold very quickly). I'm assuming at this point that I misread the question on the test and answered it incorrectly. :rolleyes:
                                                  That, like several others throughout the test, was a strangely-worded question. I teach physics, and when I saw this one I knew that half my own students would blow it because they'd think along the sort of lines you did. Same was true in the crab nebula passage: two questions were conceptually trivial, but I knew they'd hidden the actual question well. And asking about molecular-level effects on the pump passage: again, the concepts are basic, but the strange question form threw a lot of people off.

                                                  This was an overall theme, I believe; compared to recent exams, more tricks, less really meaty stuff. It even applied on verbal (which I also teach), which at my center was by consensus of my students considered relatively easy. I heard this, and was thinking, some people are going to be dissapointed: there were many more tricky questions than most test-takers noticed. That included 11 except/not/least questions, but it went beyond that; there were numerous LSAT-style tiny wording shifts.

                                                  In my opinion, this one was even less a content test than they've been recently (which means not too much).
                                                   
                                                  This thread is more than 17 years old.

                                                  Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                                  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                  7. This thread is locked.