Form CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SensesFail

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What the hell?!? Absolutely got owned today. :( Anybody else have this form? PS was ridiculous. Depressed. I really hope the saying that "The people who thought they did really horrible usually end up with better marks than people who thought it went smooth" is right. Either way, I highly doubt I scored higher than a 25. See you all next August. :(

Members don't see this ad.

if you thought it was that difficult, i'm sure other people did too. i took the mcat twice. the 1st time, i thought i had totally bombed PS and ended up getting a 10, and the second time, I thought the bio was a b*tch, and I ended up getting a 10 on that too. it's all about that curve. and honestly, it's okay if you take it twice - I did better the 2nd time around, and i think the schools really weigh the 2nd score much more heavily.

good luck! remember this test is not the end all in whether you will get into med school and definitely not the last word in whether you'll become a good doc.

I actually started on the limestone passage 'cause I glanced at the questions and they all seemed pretty basic.

...BIG MISTAKE. Threw me off for the rest of that section and I never recovered. Hoping for an 8 at best.

I had form CM, but I seem to have had the same verbal test that u guys had as well. That's weird, I wonder how all that stuff works with the forms. Do u guys remember any specifics about other sections? Maybe if its form C something then they all have the same passages and questions but in a different order or something? Aw hell, I dunno. I did terrible on that modern america passage though. Most passages in that VR were easy I thought, but the few that were hard were REALLY hard in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hated the bio on CS, maybe because I kept having to fight sleep, but everybody around me said it was hard, too. PS and VR didn't seem too bad, except for the damn songbirds. Probably means I bombed both of them. And the writing sample? I hope for M--screwed the pooch on both, I think. Now the wait...

I had for DM, but some of those questions I did see..

For the Johnny one I put that he would have some heart problem, since I remember seeing his cholesterol level really high? and the girl had excitation. As for the calcium yeah I said that neuro because nothing else made sense on their; thought of the polarization, etc. ALso, yeah I put noradreniline for that catech.. Finally, for that one where it drops in temperature I put radiation? Nothing else seemed to make sense but beats me.

Did anyone have the Na absorption thing???

I can't remember exact questions.....but here is an effort

to be absorbed it has to be with glucose??

did any of the CS takers find the verbal just undoable with the last few passage?

I guessed all C's on the very last passage in Verbal. Ran outta time! Anybody remember if they had at least a couple C's for that last passage? :D
I guess the first few passages weren't bad. But then they became very detail oriented and difficult to read (limestone, canon liguistics, songbirds, seed dispersion). Really hard.

Haha, yeah it IS therapeutic to some degree...

Here's some others I remember

PS
a) Drums passage. To get sinusoidal oscillations the guy should use... an AC current? This was the very first question of the test for me.
b) Not sure if anyone will remember but... the very last independant question in PS. Something about finding the grams of something. Don't entirely remember the question but I remember choosing 80 g. Ring a bell?!
c) Oooh, the solubility passage about CaCO3. There was one question about "how would you distinguish CaCO3" or something, and the answer choices were a bunch of ions. It was between Ca(2+) and CO3(-2) and I picked the latter. Was that right?
d) Z,eff. Pretty sure I got it wrong. Increases alot while going down a family and increases only slightly going left to right in a period?

BS
a) To make sure that the Z and E forms of the following compound were made in a solution one could note that... only 1 H NMR signal was present? I didn't have a clue on this one. I looked the molecule and saw it would have 2 peaks but this wasn't an answer choice.
b) In RECOVERING skeletal muscle after exercice, which of the following are built up? Choices were ADP, Glycogen, Lactic Acid and something else. This one had me for like 5 minutes! Eventually I had to move on and I just picked Lactic Acid, even though doesn't seem right if Muscle is RECOVERING.
c) The Autonomic Nervous System innervates...3 of the 4 answer choices contained Skeletal Muscle so I chose the 4th one. This is right, isn't it? I think the actual choice (I picked) was "has ganglia".

this is my take on the exam- form cs
Ps
hard. The chemistry passages were harder than the physics ones. I am probably sure of about 5 answers and uncertain about the rest.
Verbal
stupid, stupid. the passages on birds/islands, caves formation, song birds were killer. Questions for the other passages were too detail. I had to go back too the passages many times to find the answers to the detail questions, spent a lot of time doing that.
BS
I do not think it was difficult nor easy. I am just uncertain. Lot of neuro stuff which I do not like. One of the Ochem passage was stuff. Even some of the discretes were difficult.

SensesFail said:
Haha, yeah it IS therapeutic to some degree...

Here's some others I remember

PS
a) Drums passage. To get sinusoidal oscillations the guy should use... an AC current? This was the very first question of the test for me.
b) Not sure if anyone will remember but... the very last independant question in PS. Something about finding the grams of something. Don't entirely remember the question but I remember choosing 80 g. Ring a bell?!
c) Oooh, the solubility passage about CaCO3. There was one question about "how would you distinguish CaCO3" or something, and the answer choices were a bunch of ions. It was between Ca(2+) and CO3(-2) and I picked the latter. Was that right?
d) Z,eff. Pretty sure I got it wrong. Increases alot while going down a family and increases only slightly going left to right in a period?

BS
a) To make sure that the Z and E forms of the following compound were made in a solution one could note that... only 1 H NMR signal was present? I didn't have a clue on this one. I looked the molecule and saw it would have 2 peaks but this wasn't an answer choice.
b) In RECOVERING skeletal muscle after exercice, which of the following are built up? Choices were ADP, Glycogen, Lactic Acid and something else. This one had me for like 5 minutes! Eventually I had to move on and I just picked Lactic Acid, even though doesn't seem right if Muscle is RECOVERING.
c) The Autonomic Nervous System innervates...3 of the 4 answer choices contained Skeletal Muscle so I chose the 4th one. This is right, isn't it? I think the actual choice (I picked) was "has ganglia".

I had form CN:
PS
a) Yes, Im pretty sure it is AC
b) i seem to recall putting 80 also
c) no idea about this. i hate solubility.. I think my mind blocked it out
d) dont remember this Q..

BS
a) I put 2 H signals.. but i thought that it would actualy pick up 3 NMR signals b/c there are 3 different types of H's.. so i guess i still dont really know what this question was getting at.
b) i dont remember what i put.. maybe glycogen? i was stuck on this too
c) I think the ANS innervates only smooth and cardiac muscle. too bad i got it wrong, i chose skelatal/smooth/cardiac. what a stupid mistake.

did anyone remember the passage on tubercuolosis. whats up with the question where they gave us the MRNA and asked us to find the antisense MRNA. I did not seem to be coming up with the right ans and I just guessed c

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, you guys are discussing this by test form?! take a deep breath, forget about the test now that its over, and focus on apps...good luck

I recalled seeing a correct answer, though i dont remember what choice it was specifically.

didnt you just have to convert the As to Us and Gs to Cs and vice versa?

what do you think about the passage on tanks on six pillars passage. whats do you guys put for the molecular nature of the pillars when the tanks are full with water, something crazy like that

nanosomic said:
what do you think about the passage on tanks on six pillars passage. whats do you guys put for the molecular nature of the pillars when the tanks are full with water, something crazy like that

i think i put that they got closer together because there was more force or something.. i cant even remember the exact answer choice..

bonez318ti said:
i think i put that they got closer together because there was more force or something.. i cant even remember the exact answer choice..
I think I put the one which says something like they get closer because of reduced KE. I dunno if that was right though

that question about johnny and glenda is buggin me and I insist its not neuromuscular. Its gastrointestinal damnit! Why am I discussing this dumb test, I dont seem to feel any better......

It has to be neuromuscular, thats the main use of the Ca2+ ions.
I remembered that water is a polar compound and so it would line up in a field according to its polarity and therefore it increases the capacity of the capacitor.
I cant beleive i didnt get that noradrenaline one but then again i didnt know what a catecholamine was.

any input?
heres some ideas from a physics webpage i went to:
However, this only happens because water in its natural form contains mineral salts which make it conductive. In its purest form (only obtainable through extensive de-gassing, purification and de-ionization), water is in fact a phenomenal dielectric, with a dielectric constant (K) of 80[2]2] and a voltage standoff in the order of several thousand volts per millimeter (this varies enormously with purity and somewhat with temperature). Because it behaves as a near-infinite resistance load for any source of EMF, ultrapure water, as is called the liquid having less than 10^12ohms/m resistance is used in some pulse forming network capacitors and for insulating some special high voltage high frequency lines and the like.

Jon Davis said:
I remembered that water is a polar compound and so it would line up in a field according to its polarity and therefore it increases the capacity of the capacitor.
I cant beleive i didnt get that noradrenaline one but then again i didnt know what a catecholamine was.

any input?
However, this only happens because water in its natural form contains mineral salts which make it conductive. In its purest form (only obtainable through extensive de-gassing, purification and de-ionization), water is in fact a phenomenal dielectric, with a dielectric constant (K) of 80[2]2] and a voltage standoff in the order of several thousand volts per millimeter (this varies enormously with purity and somewhat with temperature). Because it behaves as a near-infinite resistance load for any source of EMF, ultrapure water, as is called the liquid having less than 10^12ohms/m resistance is used in some pulse forming network capacitors and for insulating some special high voltage high frequency lines and the like.

yeah I still believe that the correct answer was neuromuscular problems.

Jon Davis said:

any input?

Wonderful, just another one I got wrong then. I thought water would make the charge zero, since it would conduct the charge from one plate to another. :/ The number I've gotten wrong just keeps climbing. I'm fearing what score I'm going to get now.

SensesFail said:
Anyone remember a discrete in BS dealing with UV spectra between 200-300 ppm? Choices were Cylohexanone, 2-methylcyclohexanone, etc... Didn't have a clue for that. Studied H NMR, C NMR, and Infrared, but never came across UV spectra. I think I picked Cyclohexanone. What was the answer!?!?

This one I put cyclohexanene becuase UV spectra detect conjugated bonds. Figured there had to be a double bond in there for it to pick up. I don't know if I'm right though.

It was one of the cyclohexenones (there were two different ones). Remember, to be conjugated, there must be 2 double bonds with a single bond between them. So the carbonyl was one double bond and the alkene bond was the other. I think it was 2-cyclohexenone.

Yea. I put 2 cyclohexenone as well. I recalled drawing both structures out to see which one was conjugated..

Heres another question I had on BS. Something about the amount of CO2 in the blood system with two possible answers. One being that the ph is lower in the right atria than the left and the other being that the pH changes in the pulminary system. I put it changes in the pulminary system hope I was right. :/

bgreet said:
Heres another question I had on BS. Something about the amount of CO2 in the blood system with two possible answers. One being that the ph is lower in the right atria than the left and the other being that the pH changes in the pulminary system. I put it changes in the pulminary system hope I was right. :/

don't recall having this question, but I had form CH. But just intuitively it seems like both of these are possible answers.

did any of you have a passage on the SARs virus...there was this question about it is unreliable to test for antibodies before 28 days after viral infection?

does anyone know why?

I didn't have this form, but I'd think a passage about SARS is probably experimental, since the whole thing happened last year, it must be a brand new passage.

ASDIC said:
did any of you have a passage on the SARs virus...there was this question about it is unreliable to test for antibodies before 28 days after viral infection?

does anyone know why?

Yeah I remember that question. I remember I had it down to two for this one. I think I ended up putting the option that said "because it would take 28 days before enough antibodies specific to the virus were produced in enough quantity to be detected". Not too sure though

I'm just curious... doesn't an insulator resist change and a conductor experience the most change? Therefore shouldn't the answer be conductor? A good example that I can think of is metal on a cold day.... the metal quickly becomes cold (remember all those movies/cartoons with the kid getting his tongue stuck to the metal pole?)

Water is a dielectric... the passage stated that it had a dielectric constant... plus it is a non electolyte. Use the formula
Cprime=KC
Insulators increase charge capacity.....

yay! but i wonder if i picked the correct wording of the answer.
2 of them seemed similar i think.
freaking mcat bastards.

ASDIC said:

does anyone know why?

I remember this and I put the ans. choice that says it will take around 28 days to actually detect the antibodies. My logic was 28 days is a longtime for the immune system to respond to the viral infection so I did not choose the one you chose

ASDIC said:
I got raped in verbal in CS...5 passages that killed me: limestone caves, bird songs repertoire, evolution in islands, language and literature and the hopelessness of modern america.

The sciences were not bad tho.

I feel ya. I had no clue, I mean nada on the evolution in islands passage. I was just saying to myself wtf, wtf....oh well

bgreet said:
I'm just curious... doesn't an insulator resist change and a conductor experience the most change? Therefore shouldn't the answer be conductor? A good example that I can think of is metal on a cold day.... the metal quickly becomes cold (remember all those movies/cartoons with the kid getting his tongue stuck to the metal pole?)

I believe I put "radiator." A refrigerant is a substance that draws heat from other substances and is constantly recycled so it can continue to perform the cooling. A radiator is something that gives off heat and thus cools itslef. Who the hell knows - only time will tell.

does anyone remember that VOA meter question? attached to a fuse and asking whether it was measuring voltage, current, resistance or power?

:scared:

bgreet said:
An insulator is something whose thermal conductivity is low; heat has a hard time passing through it. Temperature will (as in the problem) be different on the two sides of it, because it takes time for temperature to equalize and meanwhile heat has moved faster in the substances on either side of it.

Metal on a cold day is not colder than air to begin with, but if feels colder, because it is a good conductor -- heat from your skin moves into the metal rapidly. The surface you're touching will get colder, but the difference between that temperature and the temp on the other side will be less than with an insulator.

Maybe this is easier -- imagine a perfect insulator and a perfect conductor. In the former case, the two temperatures are very different -- whatever the internal and external temperatures would otherwise be. In the latter case, they have to be exactly the same at the very surface, because heat moves infinitely fast (actually, at the speed of electrons in the material) through it.

Shrike said:
An insulator is something whose thermal conductivity is low; heat has a hard time passing through it. Temperature will (as in the problem) be different on the two sides of it, because it takes time for temperature to equalize and meanwhile heat has moved faster in the substances on either side of it.

Metal on a cold day is not colder than air to begin with, but if feels colder, because it is a good conductor -- heat from your skin moves into the metal rapidly. The surface you're touching will get colder, but the difference between that temperature and the temp on the other side will be less than with an insulator.

Maybe this is easier -- imagine a perfect insulator and a perfect conductor. In the former case, the two temperatures are very different -- whatever the internal and external temperatures would otherwise be. In the latter case, they have to be exactly the same at the very surface, because heat moves infinitely fast (actually, at the speed of electrons in the material) through it.

I understand, perhaps I misconstrued the original question that was asked? I thought it was basically an equilibrium question, asking why a particular material changed its temperature rapidly (turned cold very quickly). I'm assuming at this point that I misread the question on the test and answered it incorrectly. :rolleyes:

bgreet said:
I understand, perhaps I misconstrued the original question that was asked? I thought it was basically an equilibrium question, asking why a particular material changed its temperature rapidly (turned cold very quickly). I'm assuming at this point that I misread the question on the test and answered it incorrectly. :rolleyes:
That, like several others throughout the test, was a strangely-worded question. I teach physics, and when I saw this one I knew that half my own students would blow it because they'd think along the sort of lines you did. Same was true in the crab nebula passage: two questions were conceptually trivial, but I knew they'd hidden the actual question well. And asking about molecular-level effects on the pump passage: again, the concepts are basic, but the strange question form threw a lot of people off.

This was an overall theme, I believe; compared to recent exams, more tricks, less really meaty stuff. It even applied on verbal (which I also teach), which at my center was by consensus of my students considered relatively easy. I heard this, and was thinking, some people are going to be dissapointed: there were many more tricky questions than most test-takers noticed. That included 11 except/not/least questions, but it went beyond that; there were numerous LSAT-style tiny wording shifts.

In my opinion, this one was even less a content test than they've been recently (which means not too much).

anyone know the answer to this one? I'm thinking that the first answer is more correct then the latter.

edited by SDN Administration