Form DG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaeymaey

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone take form DG? I thought the PS was tough (I had 2 passages left over), but the VR and BS seemed ok.

Members don't see this ad.

chaeymaey said:
Anyone take form DG? I thought the PS was tough (I had 2 passages left over), but the VR and BS seemed ok.

Yea, I'm right there with you. I didn't read the last two passages, just answered the questions as best I could. I got 14 and 12 on tests 7 and 8, so I don't know what happened. For BS, I thought there was a lot of tough stuff on IR too, what the hell? At least I finished with time to spare.

Adam

I took numerous practice exams: AAMC 3R, 4R, 5R, 6R, 7 as well as Examkrackers 1G, 2F, 3G. My opinion on form DG:

The Physical Science section was by far the hardest I have ever taken. I’m actually very glad that I DIDN’T study too much for this section because it sure as hell would not have helped. So much of this section just seemed like a guessing game. And PS also seemed a lot longer than normal – I’d say that the passages on form DG were pretty damn long compared to those on the aforementioned practice exams.

The Verbal Reasoning section was fine and routine until that last passage (with TEN questions) reared its ugly head. If I remember correctly, it had something to with “historical fiction, modernism, post-modernism, and the mixing of fact and fiction”.

Biological Sciences was pretty similar in content and difficulty to the practice exams I took. I did have to reread that last “albino mouse / sandy pig” genetics passage, but I think I ended up fine on that one. Oh and there was this one structure classification problem that I swore had no right answer…

Moral of the Form DG Story:

Physical Sciences = bad bad. BAD, I tell you!

I had form DG. Left out of there feeling pretty weak, especially finding out that a lot of people didn't even have that passage about postmodernism fact and fiction. That passage was a beast!!! Only had like 5 minutes to guess on it. Ha!

Physical Sciences was crazy! Enough said.

Biology was great. It did make me feel good walking out of the test because I knew that stuff. The only things I got stuck on were the last section of discretes for some reason. Oh well, what can I say... hello curve!

So... 59 days and counting...

(But glad to know I wasn't the only one experiencing the horror before lunch!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I had form DG. Physical Section was tough. I am hoping for 7. Yah, you heard me right, a F'in 7. I had about two passages left with 10 minutes left so naturally I didn't read the passages. Just read the question and picked an answer that seems reasonable. Didn't even bother doing the calculations. It was BAD I'd tell yah!The VR and BS were okay except that the last passage in VR as you guys mentioned.

Do you guys know how generous the curve is going to be from past exams or heresay?

FutureDocDO said:
Same here. I had form DG. Physical Section was tough. I am hoping for 7. Yah, you heard me right, a F'in 7. I had about two passages left with 10 minutes left so naturally I didn't read the passages. Just read the question and picked an answer that seems reasonable. Didn't even bother doing the calculations. It was BAD I'd tell yah!The VR and BS were okay except that the last passage in VR as you guys mentioned.

Do you guys know how generous the curve is going to be from past exams or heresay?

I don't think its possible to tell how generous the curve will be. I can only hope that those AAMC practice exams turn out to be good indicators of one's real score. Cause they are grossly off the mark in terms of the difficulty of the PS section.

I agree that the PS was nothing like any of the AAMC tests I took (3R, 6R, 7, 8). It was a whole other animal. I'll be happy with an 8. The BS had these weird details, like the IR question about which C=O bond is seen in the spectra (I think it was the conjugated one) and whether the other thing was the N-H or the C-H (I chose N-H). The last VR was definitely what TPR calls the "killer" passage. I had about 8 minutes to do it, but the questions and the subject of the passage were pretty difficult.

Is anyone else having flashbacks of questions? Today I was thinking about that passage on regulation of transcription factors. I had put that that one protein was a transcription factor. Then I changed it to restriction enzyme. Then I remembered today that restriction enzymes are the same as restriction endonucleases - bacterial DNA cutters. Dammit, I had the right answer and I erased it!

chaeymaey said:
Is anyone else having flashbacks of questions? Today I was thinking about that passage on regulation of transcription factors. I had put that that one protein was a transcription factor. Then I changed it to restriction enzyme. Then I remembered today that restriction enzymes are the same as restriction endonucleases - bacterial DNA cutters. Dammit, I had the right answer and I erased it!

Right - the question about how dpp or ddp was acting.

I initially thought it acted like a steroid hormone...but then after 30 seconds of wandering through the passage I decided to change my answer to transcription factor.

How 'bout the last question on PS?
Ain't it impossible to calculate 8 x sin(3 x Pi x .25cm) ?
That question was crap...

I guessed on the first question in PS as well. Temp = 0K. No friggin' CLUE how to find the answer.

And the percent KNO3 that would precipitate if Temp lowers to 60C...I guessed 60%.

A million bucks says I got all three wrong!! :smuggrin:

to all of you who took form DG, was this your first time taking the MCAT, or are you taking it again. If this is a retake, please tell me how you think it matched up with last years.

for first-timers, how did you study? i took a Kaplan course and bought all the examkrackers books. those are really good at breaking everything down to the molecular level so you can understand it more thouroughly. anyways, just wanted to know. knowing that the test was quite a bit more difficult than usual, we all probably did good.

BELIEVE IT INTO EXISTENCE!!!!

This was my first time (I'm an MCAT virgin. Time to break the seal...wow, that's so bad). I took TPR and took some AAMC tests. I felt prepared and that I had the basics down. The questions with the new info threw me off on PS. I put 0 K on the first question too! I guess that's good. On the last problem, I think my equation had a 12*pi*1/4 so I had something like 8sin9. I think I picked the answer for 8sin90 just cuz I had no clue what 8sin9 was. Although from what I hear from other ppl, I think our PS was easier than some of the others (Tarzan and the A/C, etc)

allexsimmons said:
to all of you who took form DG, was this your first time taking the MCAT, or are you taking it again. If this is a retake, please tell me how you think it matched up with last years.

for first-timers, how did you study? i took a Kaplan course and bought all the examkrackers books. those are really good at breaking everything down to the molecular level so you can understand it more thouroughly. anyways, just wanted to know. knowing that the test was quite a bit more difficult than usual, we all probably did good.

BELIEVE IT INTO EXISTENCE!!!!

First time taking the MCAT for me. Hopefully the last!!! :scared:

I had all the Examkrackers books, 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning, the three EK practice MCATs, AAMC exams 3R-7 (very useful... right... :laugh: ), and I think that's about it.

Studied very intensely for 3 weeks during this past Winter break, took all those practice exams I mentioned (one per week), as well as 4 EK verbal exams.

I really liked Examkrackers material because it wasn't dry. But I kinda wish I had access to the Kaplan exam bank, or even TPR A-D. Super tough practice Physical Science sections would have been great preparation for form DG (and most other forms too - especially those with that Tarzan bologna :mad: ).