Form FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smitty3L

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
PS - I ran out of time!! I don't know if it was because the section was harder than any of the practice tests or because I was overcompensating my nervousness by taking too much time on the first half of the test. I was thinking "take your time" b/c I always have time left over. Anyhow I felt flustered on the last half, and now my hopes went from an 11 to an 8.

VR - I thought it was OK, but who can ever tell about verbal?

BS - Not bad, not too much orgo, and the orgo wasn't too tough either.

Anybody else with this form?

Members don't see this ad.

lol you posted this when i was writing mine :D I'll copy past, if a mod sees this delete my post.

The physics wasn't bad, saved the solubility passage for last and kinda wiffed that, but a few of the ****
Verbal is always my worst but I was able to get through and read the whole thing! Consisted of a passage on ****
Writing was on how Scientific advances should be shared with all nations, and the second one was 'A business's primary goal should be maximizing profit'

Bio KICKED me ass!!! A rediculous passage on dam **** another hardcore one on cAMP, only 3 orgo passages which was a relief.

anyway, i misbubbled about 30 questions on bio so wasted about 2-3 mins fixing that but still managed to finish! Thank god!

****Edited by SDn Administration

I had form FK, but it seems fairly similar to form FM.

PS was not too bad, but I was disappointed that there was not a lot of chem on there. A lot about waves, though I liked that they just gave us the two formulas for magnetic force near the end.

Verbal seems to be different from FM. ours had a passage about war as human nature, memes and evolution, and some other ones (all a blur)

bio was not too bad, but that alkylating agent passage sucked big time. i read that thing 3 times and would need to draw a diagram before the pathway starts making sense

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah,
I found bio to be difficult at times. **** that was a bit tough for me...

There was a hard ass orgo passage that showed some experiment and some crazy long mechanisim. The questions were super easr, I wish I would have flipped ahead, I would have skipped reading that!

Verbal was pretty hard... I pushed through and finished though.

i had no idea about the ****it wasnt one of the choices! sucks. def the worst physical i ever took. bio and verbal were definitely good for me

****Edited by SDN Administration

I thought it would be 0 because if you think about it, C is not connected to anything more or less electronegative. Also, you can think about diatomic molecules like O2 which also have oxidation states of 0.

overall thought i thought the PS was very hard and guessed on a lot of questions. the Lasik passage was killer. I was very surprised to see the boyle's law question (thank God i got it right).

About the work problem, since no machine is 100% efficient, I reasoned that the answer was (1-e)mgh... Does that answer the question though?

That was a difficult PS section overall... It seemed that more of the questions were reading comprehension related, that could just be normal though...

****Edited by SDN Admninistration

ah yeah I remember that circuit one! I thought too hard about it and got it wrong by putting (1+e)mgh, but the answer is just mgh since that is the work needed to lift the object.

yeah, me3 is right about the oxidation. messed up on the formal charge calculation (4 - 4 /= 4)! hope the curve is good if I have more dumb mistakes like these

About the circuit question, i remember them saying something other than work. If it was "how much work did the machine do" then it would have easily been mgh, but there was some other reason why i put mgh/e; i forgot. Anyone remember?

Anyone remember the ****
How about the bio passage about ****
I need some consolation.

i think it is 0 right for the ox state because it's all carbons right?

me3 said:
About the circuit question, i remember them saying something other than work. If it was "how much work did the machine do" then it would have easily been mgh, but there was some other reason why i put mgh/e; i forgot. Anyone remember?

Anyone remember the lasik passage? Specifically the value of R. What was the answer. I had no idea.

How about the bio passage about the budding. Why couldn't some samples bud. I put because it was too elastic. Was that right?

I need some consolation.

deffinintly had to factor in e because it is the effecincy factor

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the physical science was by far the toughest section and that the verbal was super easy. But who really knows. The bio wasn't too bad but I thought it got harder near the ending passages. Atleast I finished every section, I was happy about that.

Geoff

me3 said:

Anyone remember the lasik passage? Specifically the value of R. What was the answer. I had no idea.

How about the bio passage about the budding. Why couldn't some samples bud. I put because it was too elastic. Was that right?

I need some consolation.

about the circuit question, it asked something along the lines of "how much work would the machine have to do to raise something to a certain height". I put mgh/e also because the work done by the machine will be less than the total energy it uses (so work done = total energy * e). i figured that since mgh is the amount of work that needs to be done, total energy used by the engine will be mgh / e

hope that was right. what was the question about R again? I forgot the details. about the budding, I put it was too flexible also (seemed to make the most sense)

umairfoo said:
about the circuit question, it asked something along the lines of "how much work would the machine have to do to raise something to a certain height". I put mgh/e also because the work done by the machine will be less than the total energy it uses (so work done = total energy * e). i figured that since mgh is the amount of work that needs to be done, total energy used by the engine will be mgh / e

hope that was right. what was the question about R again? I forgot the details. about the budding, I put it was too flexible also (seemed to make the most sense)

The R question was in the lasik passage. It was something about what should be the case to get the laser not to penetrate too far. I don't remember. It's all like a dream now. I'm just glad it's over.

Also, what about the action potential question. Please don't tell me it was measuring speed or strength because I eliminated those and the last two answers were way too close to each other. What did you think?

***** I don't remember. It's all like a dream now. I'm just glad it's over.

Also, what about the action potential question. Please don't tell me it was measuring speed or strength because I eliminated those and the last two answers were way too close to each other. What did you think?[/QUOTE]

I think I know which question you mean ***** is that the question you were thinking of?

PS Section: Hardest section IMO; It was the first time I've taken a test (real or practice) and not have been half way done by the time 50 minutes was up.

Verbal: Tougher than the one I took in April, but not too bad

BS: Easiest I've seen yet IMO. Love the physiology and the O.Chem

Overall Impression: Since I took the MCAT in April and bombed the PS section, but did well on the others, I am not excited because I felt the PS section was much harder this time around than in April. But I was more familiar with the topics this time around. Oh well, we'll have to wait and see

This is what I put. I am pretty sure your right. Because you multiply the efficiency by the amount of work output, to get the work available for another process.

Thus if a machine was 50% efficient.... its e would be e = .5 . Thus if the machine did 100 Joules of work then 100 * .5 = 50 joules would be available for work.

Thus, the amount of work that a process needs the machine to do that has a 50% efficiency, would be twice the work. In other words, if the process required 50 joules, the machine would have to do 50/e = 50/.5 = 100 joules.

Therefore the equation for the work needed to be performed by the circuit is

mgh / e .

I think.............

***Edited by SDN Administration

The R question was in the lasik passage, not the finger/pulse passage. *****

when the heart stops, the blood will stop circulating so I picked the answer which said someting about a lack of oxygen.

I remember for the LASIK it asked ****

*****yeah I remember now. the action potential measured the charge across the membrane of the neuron. even now i can't recall the heart stopping question, though those devices are supposed to measure O2 saturation in the blood, so I guess the reading will eventually change to reflect the lack of oxygen.

Edited by SDN Administration

Anyone remember the UO2 passage (radioactive decay). What was the answer to that formula asking for the missing product. **** Anybody know the right answer?

[****
I remember the U02 one but it seemed simple enough, just balancing the equation with an obvious answer in the bank.

what examples did you guy use for the essay....
for the science discoveries i used
Polio and Nuclear Bombs

for business primary goal i used
Nike and Truth company

What about you?

holy crap. we're not supposed to be even referring to anything i think. i got a message in my inbox.

superso said:
holy crap. we're not supposed to be even referring to anything i think. i got a message in my inbox.

You can refer to generalities. However, any verbatim quoting of questions, answers or significant information which might allow others to delineate what the MCAT question was, are not allowed discussion on SDN.

While we appreciate the community and the value of being able to discuss the exam and how others approached the questions, the legal ramifications of this type of discussion are enormous and SDN has been "warned" in the past about these.

Therefore, please review the Sticky placed by Lee at the top of this forum and feel free to contact me should you have any questions regarding this matter. Until this situation is governed by the users themselves, I shall continue to edit the posts as I see them violating the TOS Agreement. Frankly, I'm getting rather tired of it.

Thank you for understanding and being part of the growing SDN community.

Kimberly Cox, I understand what you are doing. It is far more frustrating though that the MCAT is so secretive. Do you realize that the practice tests they have released are far less difficult than the real thing? Do you also realize that topics constantly show up that are in no review books? Look at the verbal practice material on the market, it is nothing like the real test. I understand you are doing your job, but we have all been studying this summer to come into a real exam that was different, and it is very frustrating for us. Thanks

haha i think shes a surgical resident or somewhere up there but she's actually going thru these posts for altruistic reasons. I think amcas threatens to shut down boards where people discuss these things. That test was BS aug. Some sections were way out there, others were far easier. They curve by form or by passage though so keep hope aliiiiive