format of personal statement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by salud80, May 28, 2002.

1. salud80

salud80 Junior Member

I heard that if you use microsoft words, the text will be scrambled. Instead of using programs like microsoft words, we have to write texts using notepad for copy and pasting personal statements into the spaces provided in the AAMC website. Does anybody know if this is true.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vyc

vyc Senior Member

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i know last year i wrote my PS in Word and it transferred just fine.

4. beachdude

beachdude Member

But be careful when you use MS word - sometimes when you cut and paste, apostrophes magically turn into question marks

5. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
    if you're comfortable with word, use word.
    i'm guessing the format the adcoms receive is what it looks like when i hit print on amcas, so make sure all of the characters, spacing, etc. come out okay. my suggestion, use a basic font like courier new, verdana, or times new roman so you don't type funky stuff.

although, i have had a couple of apostrophes come out as question marks for other sections after i cut and paste, so just make sure you check for stuff like that.

note: for essay, when i had a space between each paragraph and a tab to start the paragraph, it was the same on amcas printing as was just a space between each paragraph. so save yourself some characters and forget the tabs!

g/l to all :)