1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Formation of water in degradation of glucose

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by boomboom2dolla, Jan 3, 2009.

1. boomboom2dolla

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    balance equation for degradation of glucose is

1 glucose + 6O2 --> 6CO2 + 6H2O

I can't find where all the water are coming from
    I know there are 2H20 from glycolysis

so 4 must be coming from the electron transport chain

I guess my question is when NADH donates the electron that goes through the chain how many NADH does it take to produce the rest of the 4 molecules of H20 ?

I just know that 1/2 O2 is reduced to water at the end of etc but as far how that whole scheme produce 4 molecules of water with about 20 NADH entering the chain is confusing to me. :rolleyes:

anybody care to enlighten me?

2. Contach

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know if I completely understand what you are saying, but I will try.

Firstly, NADH don't "enter" the cycle, they are products, thus they leave the cycle. NAD+, on the other hand, enter the cycle.

I'm not too sure why you think 20 NADH leave the cycle... Its been a while since Ive looked at glycolysis and the CAC, but I think I remember the end product being 20something ATPs are produced, where each NADH produces 2-3 ATP...

It sounds like you know where 4 of the waters are coming from: the NADH. I can't confirm if this is right, but I'm pretty sure a water is also produced in the formation of PEP (phosphoenolpyruvate) the precursor to pyruvate, thus there are 2 produced here.. 4+2 = 6 per glucose molecule.

Water is not really important in this process. But it's good that you are trying to understand everything...

Do you want to rephrase your question?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...