Former D1 Athlete: Average MCAT, Low GPA. School suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThisCycleJB19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying in the next cycle. Former D1 football athlete, team captain senior year. Originally an engineering major, switched late and will finish prerequisites at the end of this April. I have a great deal of volunteering experience, sub-investigator of an ongoing research project, research assistant for a different project, scribe, and ongoing intern at a health center.

MCAT: 509 (Chem/Phy: 126, CARS: 128, Bio: 128 (prior to taking Biochem and Biology), Psych/Soc: 127)
Science GPA: 3.10-3.20 depending on how I finish this semester...projected 3.17
Cum GPA: 3.45

Looking for advice on which schools to apply to this June? I understand that my MCAT is average and my GPA is low, especially in science. I live in the Midwest, and would prefer to stay on this side of the Mississippi. I was hoping to gain more clarity and any details on schools that value athletics as an extra curricular.

Any thoughts/insights would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Former D1 athlete who just completed a pretty successful cycle

Some people seemed to care a lot but the majority of my interviewers were more interested in my medical-related activities - and this is even after devoting a pretty substantial portion of my app to athletics

Unless you are URM, or were an all-American or won a natty, you shouldn't bank on this carrying your app

If I were you I would apply to a good number of carefully selected MD schools but more importantly focus a lot of energy on DO schools

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the insight, I will definitely apply to some DO schools. I would like to think I have a fairly competitive application for DO.

Not an URM and was not an All-American, but did win a National Title.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight, I will definitely apply to some DO schools. I would like to think I have a fairly competitive application for DO.

Not an URM and was not an All-American, but did win a National Title.

That's sick, definitely play that up in your app then as it can be an uphill battle with below average stats

Good luck dude

Thanks man, hopefully this cycle works out. I will be using Prospective Doctor Medical School Chance Predictor and will apply to 6-10 'Reach' schools, 4-6 'Target', and a couple DO's. Best of luck to you as well.

OP said midwest so I assumed Alabama since SC is not midwest. (And Bama also won it 2 times in 4 years.)
Oh i missed the midwest comment. Although bama isn't midwest either, maybe more than SC but definitely still southern. Could be FCS instead of BCS

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Ohio State
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
NOVA MD
California University (new school)
Kaiser and Roseman if they open for 2019

Appreciate the advice Faha!

Good to know many on my list are the same as yours. This is my current list with far reaches, reaches, targets, and have yet to determine my "safer/undershoot" schools. I put any schools that are different than yours in bold.

Far Reach:
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Wisconsin
Rush Medical College (personal connection)
Jefferson
Creighton
New York Medical College

Reach:
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Penn State
Toledo

Target:
Wayne State
Wright State
West Virginia
Central Michigan
Loyola University Chicago Stritch
University of South Carolina
Florida International University
University of Louisville
Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine - Ohio University

Schools I left out from your list..
Seton Hall, California University, Kaiser, Roseman - I know these are newer, I just want to get more information on them before adding them to my list.
Western Michigan, Wisconsin, Quinnipac, Temple - I feel these are a little above my numbers and I would prefer the other reaches for different reasons.

I will probably end up in the 25 school range.

I know you said you had a connection to Rush but before you spend the application fee make sure you read their service requirements. They are considered outlandish and require hundreds of hours in various service areas. And many applicants have thousands of hours. You might also check out Midwestern University in Downers Grove Il. It’s a DO school that has been around for years. And FYI, Creighton is across the river. Good luck.

South Carolina, Louisville and Florida International are state public schools that prefer their own residents and accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.

I know you said you had a connection to Rush but before you spend the application fee make sure you read their service requirements. They are considered outlandish and require hundreds of hours in various service areas. And many applicants have thousands of hours. You might also check out Midwestern University in Downers Grove Il. It’s a DO school that has been around for years. And FYI, Creighton is across the river. Good luck.
I didn't know that about Rush, thanks for that info. I will look up Midwestern.
WHOOPS on Creighton! But, not terribly far away.

I had a similar situation with D1 athletics and GPA, but a bump up on my MCAT score.

I ended up getting accepted to 6 schools (suggested by this wonderful forum) where my GPA was at or below the 10% percentile- so in my admittedly limited experience, I'd look at MCAT match more than GPA.

In terms of schools valuing athletics- hard to tell. Schools I thought might give me athlete love (ie, Vandy) no such luck. Did it get me my interviews? Again, hard to say. The benefit of my athletics experience was tying together my PS, EC descriptions, and goals, and helping me answer a lot of interview questions about challenges and failure and teamwork. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users