Former Dental School Student Considering Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellatha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in dental school for a semester but withdrew because I began suffering severe mental health issues. I've since acquired medication and haven't had issues with mental health.

I am currently in a Master's program in biology but am considering applying to medical school when I finish. I found that I didn't like dentistry when I was in dental school.

I scored in the 99th percentile on the DAT and am unsure how this translates to the MCAT (I'm guessing the latter is much harder).

I graduated from university with a 3.55 GPA, but my overall and science GPA are only 3.4 because of community college classes.

I don't have many ECs. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in dental school for a semester but withdrew because I began suffering severe mental health issues. I've since acquired medication and haven't had issues with mental health.

I am currently in a Master's program in biology but am considering applying to medical school when I finish. I found that I didn't like dentistry when I was in dental school.

I scored in the 99th percentile on the DAT and am unsure how this translates to the MCAT (I'm guessing the latter is much harder).

I graduated from university with a 3.55 GPA, but my overall and science GPA are only 3.4 because of community college classes.

I don't have many ECs. What are my chances?

Please don't create duplicate threads (Considering Medical School)

You won't get a specific read until you have actual MCAT scores, but your GPAs are below average for many allopathic schools. Perhaps @Goro and some other ADCOMs can weigh in, but looks like DO schools may be more of a possibility. Again, MCAT scores are needed.

For future reference, I think this is where you need to be: What Are My Chances? WAMC Medical

Reactions: 1 user
Please don't create duplicate threads (Considering Medical School)

You won't get a specific read until you have actual MCAT scores, but your GPAs are below average for many allopathic schools. Perhaps @Goro and some other ADCOMs can weigh in, but looks like DO schools may be more of a possibility. Again, MCAT scores are needed.

For future reference, I think this is where you need to be: What Are My Chances? WAMC Medical

Sorry for the duplicate threads; I tried to edit the thread and it posted a second one for some reason. If someone can delete the other thread please do.

What MCAT score do you think I should be aiming for to be competitive for MD and DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect you'd need a good story for why you are switching to medicine which would need to be backed up with significant shadowing/volunteering/work experiences. Mental health issues are unfortunately still taboo, so it would probably be better to frame this in terms of realizing dentistry was not your thing. Finally, medical education is long and stressful. Make sure this is something you really want and mentally ready for and maybe explore other, shorter options such as PA.

I suspect you'd need a good story for why you are switching to medicine which would need to be backed up with significant shadowing/volunteering/work experiences. Mental health issues are unfortunately still taboo, so it would probably be better to frame this in terms of realizing dentistry was not your thing. Finally, medical education is long and stressful. Make sure this is something you really want and mentally ready for and maybe explore other, shorter options such as PA.

I enjoyed the medical aspects of dental school but disliked the fine motor skill thing.

I took a quick gander at some sample questions on the ADA's website. There's no math or perception on the MCAT, but I wouldn't underestimate the step-up in difficulty. Forget your DAT score. This is a whole 'nother animal.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive this should prob be in the premed section

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
The other thing you’re going to have to convince ADCOMS of is your dedication to medical school. It’s an absolute grind, and you’ve already shown that you’ve started a professional school and “didn’t like it” so stopped (no judgment but it happened). You’re as much of an investment to medical schools as you are investing to go there so you’ll have to convince ADCOMS why to choose you over thousands of qualified applicants that didn’t A) choose another health profession already, and B) quit said professional school. Good luck to you though!

Dumb question but does he even have to disclose that he started dentistry school? Can't he just say he was thinking dentistry and changed his mind?

Dumb question but does he even have to disclose that he started dentistry school? Can't he just say he was thinking dentistry and changed his mind?

not a dumb question, and I’m not sure if he “has to,” but I think he “has to.” Becausehe’s going to have a gap in that time and he’ll have to explain what he was doing during that time. If he doesn’t disclose it, then they find out, at the very least it look like he was intentionally trying to hide something. Big automatic red flag for institutions.

Sorry for the duplicate threads; I tried to edit the thread and it posted a second one for some reason. If someone can delete the other thread please do.

What MCAT score do you think I should be aiming for to be competitive for MD and DO?
505+ for DO and 515+ for MD... However, you may be able to get into the newer DO schools with 500

not a dumb question, and I’m not sure if he “has to,” but I think he “has to.” Becausehe’s going to have a gap in that time and he’ll have to explain what he was doing during that time. If he doesn’t disclose it, then they find out, at the very least it look like he was intentionally trying to hide something. Big automatic red flag for institutions.
Yes, there is a prompt in ADEA AADSAS. OP may also have to provide a DS transcript for the application, including grades.

MCAT also has the behavioral/social sciences section which is not covered on the DAT, as well as more physics. I'm sure others can go through all the differences.

I'd try to reign in any severe mental health issues before thinking about medical school, especially if they sadly were related to you failing out of dental school... rather, you don't have to be 100% better, but at least be well on the path of healing. Med school is a beast even for people with alright mental health and good coping techniques. You come first.

He has to disclose it because they use amcas uses a clearinghouse to find all enrollement / grades.