Former homeless/foster youth now applying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redheadresearcher

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was homeless/in foster care when I was in high school. My transition to college life was a struggle and because of it, my first two years in undergrad I had a very low gpa
the second two years I brought it up, but my gpa is far from competitive.

I have research experience and publications and hundreds of hours of patient experience and community outreach, but I don't know whether or not my gpa will prevent medical acceptance.

Should I focus on getting a masters or will the unique circumstance of my upbringing make up for the low gpa?

Thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

It would help to have some actual numbers -- the advice will depend on the overall gpa and on just how upward of an upward trend you have. Whether or not your circumstances make up for it hinges on that!

That said, have you considered a post-bacc as a way to bring your gpa up?

Last edited:
Your story will make a compelling PS. But medical school is a numbers game, so metrics matter.
Provide a breakdown of your GPA from F, So, J, Se, your MCAT score (if you have taken it), and your state of residence.
We will be able to better advise you with that info.

A masters will be a waste in most MD school considerations since Adcoms will focus mainly on undergraduate and postbacc course GPAs.
However, some DO schools will take into account graduate GPAs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It would help to have some actual numbers -- the advice will depend on the overall gpa and on just how upward of an upward trend you have. Whether or not your circumstances make up for it hinges on that!

That said, have you considered a post-bacc as a way to bring your gpa up?

My first two years my science GPA was a mid 2.5. The second two years I was getting 3.4-3.8's, but because my first two years were low my ending science GPA is a 3.1
I have considered post-bacc, but I was told a masters would be more beneficial.

Last edited:
Your story will make a compelling PS. But medical school is a numbers game, so metrics matter.
Provide a breakdown of your GPA from F, So, J, Se, your MCAT score (if you have taken it), and your state of residence.
We will be able to better advise you with that info.

A masters will be a waste in most MD school considerations since Adcoms will focus mainly on undergraduate and postbacc course GPAs.
However, some DO schools will take into account graduate GPAs.

My science GPA is a 3.1
I havent taken my MCAT, I take that this Spring and I am studying about 30 hours a week so hopefully my MCAT score will show my dedication. I am in WA

University of Washington and Washington State University have MD medical schools with heavy instate bias.

UWSOM's takes F, So, Ju GPAs into consideration when determining admissions, so it will not be to your benefit due to your first two years' grades. But it does take into consideration upward trend as well as post-bacc course trends. Admissions Frequently Asked Questions | UW Medicine

WSUCOM's admissions facts does not provide much info on preferences regarding upward trend, etc. Frequently Asked Questions | Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine | Washington State University

Get a subscription to MSAR to check out other AMCAS schools and their requirements.

I don't know much about DO schools in Washington State. @Faha might be able to help. Getting a masters won't help with MD admissions, but will for some DOs.

Kill the MCAT, aim for 512+ and you have a good shot at your state schools. Make sure you take multiple practice exams under testing conditions.

GL!!!

I actually spoke to UW back in June and they said they do a full file review unless your GPA is below 2.7 for Fr, So, Ju calculation. But based on a thread here around that time (you could search it) this calculation is [Fr + 2(So) + 3(Ju)]/6 = GPA if I recall correctly, so definitely favors an upward trend. Admissions also said if you get screened out but feel your circumstances are unique they're open to being contacted and will consider reopening your file for full review.

What part of WA are you from? They also heavily favor applicants that are from underserved areas of the state or show an interest in serving underserved populations.

I'd say if you do well on the MCAT you're good to go! UW isn't an MCAT heavy school either. I'd say if you get a 508 you'd be good. They have a pretty explicit grid that will give you a better idea of GPA/MCAT combos for admission. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
My first two years my science GPA was a mid 2.5. The second two years I was getting 3.4-3.8's, but because my first two years were low my ending science GPA is a 3.1
I have considered post-bacc, but I was told a masters would be more beneficial.

You might want to seek some second opinions re: post-bacc classes. Post-bacc classes get averaged in with your undergrad gpa, where master's classes don't. Is your overall cumulative gpa over a 3.0, too?

If you're over a 3.0 with an otherwise good application, then that should give you a shot at DO and probably some MD. Taking some additional undergrad classes might be worth it. Your MCAT will be important, of course.

Does any of your volunteering tie in with your experiences? The more you have a narrative, the better. I think my overall gpa was higher than yours, but my post-bacc gpa was in the region of your last couple years and I got in. I have some homelessness in my past too, and I think being able to fit my history, my volunteer work, and my motivations for going into medicine into one cohesive story helped my case.

You might want to seek some second opinions re: post-bacc classes. Post-bacc classes get averaged in with your undergrad gpa, where master's classes don't. Is your overall cumulative gpa over a 3.0, too?

If you're over a 3.0 with an otherwise good application, then that should give you a shot at DO and probably some MD. Taking some additional undergrad classes might be worth it. Your MCAT will be important, of course.

Does any of your volunteering tie in with your experiences? The more you have a narrative, the better. I think my overall gpa was higher than yours, but my post-bacc gpa was in the region of your last couple years and I got in. I have some homelessness in my past too, and I think being able to fit my history, my volunteer work, and my motivations for going into medicine into one cohesive story helped my case.

My overall GPA is around a 3.2. And yes, I have worked with foster youth and refugee students.

My husband was also homeless teen and in foster care for a few years, and now he has multiple ivy degrees and works in finance. He definitely wrote about it in essays and it gave him something different to talk about during interviews. Use your past to your advantage, even if your grades were lower. Someone will want you if you show you're firing on all cylinders now. Good luck!

I was homeless/in foster care when I was in high school. My transition to college life was a struggle and because of it, my first two years in undergrad I had a very low gpa
the second two years I brought it up, but my gpa is far from competitive.

I have research experience and publications and hundreds of hours of patient experience and community outreach, but I don't know whether or not my gpa will prevent medical acceptance.

Should I focus on getting a masters or will the unique circumstance of my upbringing make up for the low gpa?

Thoughts!
There are med schools that reward reinvention, but I don't think that you've arrived at that place yet.

Read this:

While it may be a compelling story, it will NOT make up for your current numbers. Why? Because they're current. Whatever problems plagued you 2 years ago may still be haunting you now, and would presumably follow you to medical school. You will need a little distance between you and your past woes -- and that distance needs to be paved with As -- before schools will be willing to take a risk on you. A formerly homeless teen who flunks out during MS1 does nobody any good.

A masters probably won't do you any good here. Some post-bacc classes will average in with your UGPA and help bring things up to a more competitive level. 30-60 additional units at a 4.0 would both assuage any concerns about your academic clout and serve to bolster your GPA.

I don't know where this prevailing myth comes from, that unique experiences will compensate for poor numbers. The reality is that it absolutely does not, at least not reliably. What you really need is present successes rather than past woes. Find things you can do right now that are compelling. I've seen pre-meds do all sorts of things -- founding successful start-ups, artistic successes, high level research, etc. The truth that doesn't get reinforced enough, however, is that even these superstar types struggle if they have poor numbers. We're talking 30+ apps and 2 or 3 interviews and MAYBE an acceptance. It's tough out there.

*Edited to remove misinformation about DO grade replacement which apparently is longer a thing*

Last edited:
Some judicious choice of classes could also be targeted for potential grade replacement with DO schools.

Just wanted to make one correction. Per @Goro, grade replacement is no longer available for DO applicants.

Reactions: 1 user