Former idiot asking for tips, advice, help, and/or guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Don_fonz132

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make the whole story short, I began school at Illinois State University. Didn't really know what to major in so I just thought, "how about psychology. The brain is pretty cool". I then decided to join a fraternity, which took quite its toll on my grades to say the least. I ended up doing just as bad the next semester.

(ENG-C, COM- B, MAT-C, BIO-C, PSY- B, PSY - B, PHY- C, ENG145- B, ) 1st and 2nd semester grades

The next school year began, and mid way through I decided on Biochemistry, and hopefully later becoming a Pharmacist. Along with this thought came a sort of epiphany. To explain it as best as I can, I realized the importance of school, the waste of partying/drinking, the importance & value of learning, how to study, etc (I'm sure you get the picture). HOWEVER, this all came three-quarters into the semester. I fought hard against my F in Chemistry to earn a C, failed my math class, and got B's in my two other gen ed classes.

(CHE-C, POL- B, ANT- B, MATH-D) 1st semester grades

I definitely plan on retaking my math class and do not know if I should retake my Chemistry class. What other classes should I retake? Thus, I was wondering is it still possible to pursue my passion to become a pharmacist. I really feel like I've dug myself into a hole I cannot get myself out of. I have also left myself with a possible extra year or two of school, which is a HUGE setback from an employer/graduate schools perspective.
I know what it takes and am ready for anything to be thrown my way. I have no problem with losing my social life and focusing completely on school, for I have already done my share in partying (as you can see by my awful grades). I have begun reading different books pertaining to biology, chemistry, and psychology for my own personal & academic benefit. I have developed a love and interest for chemistry and for learning.

Next semester I plan on retaking Math, taking the proceeding chemistry class, Biological diversity, and perhaps a physics/physiology class. Needless to say I will try my hardest just as I did the last quarter of the previous semester.

Lastly, I feel as though I have no one to ask for help. My background simply shows that I am an idiot who does not take his grades or his school seriously. So why should I be taken serious when asking my counselor questions? However, I have accepted the fact that I was an idiot but I swear to you when I say I am done messing up in school & with my old way of living.

Members don't see this ad.

Van Wilder! love that movie. hey its never too late. you can't just really say goodbye to social life, you just have to pick a good group with the same interest as you do (or you're planning to do) to benefit to your success. you are still young and focus on your goal (to be a pharmacist?) and start studying and excel on all your sciences mainly chem/biochem/organic chem and all other requirements needed for your school of pharmacy. make your research. this forum has a pharmacy community where you can blend in and talk to "been there, done that" members to see what they can help you out with to rebuild. first, maybe you should major to Chemistry or Biochemistry for better chance of acceptance.Secondly, start now... ISU is a good school.

Reactions: 1 user
Don_fonz132, you are so sweet and innocent!! Yes, everyone your age will "party hardy". That's the perk of being young. At my age, it looks like I need a super long talk and possibly years of therapy :oops:

Now that you know this, move on to bigger and brighter things!! Please don't beat yourself up for being young. Young people drink, smoke and chew and run with those that do...that's what young people do!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Suggest re-taking all science coursework with F/D/C grades, and go for a post-bac SMP, or DO programs.

Next semester I plan on retaking Math, taking the proceeding chemistry class, Biological diversity, and perhaps a physics/physiology class. Needless to say I will try my hardest just as I did the last quarter of the previous semester.

Lastly, I feel as though I have no one to ask for help. My background simply shows that I am an idiot who does not take his grades or his school seriously. So why should I be taken serious when asking my counselor questions? However, I have accepted the fact that I was an idiot but I swear to you when I say I am done messing up in school & with my old way of living.[/quote]

Suggest re-taking all science coursework with F/D/C grades, and go for a post-bac SMP, or DO programs.

Lastly, I feel as though I have no one to ask for help. My background simply shows that I am an idiot who does not take his grades or his school seriously. So why should I be taken serious when asking my counselor questions? However, I have accepted the fact that I was an idiot but I swear to you when I say I am done messing up in school & with my old way of living.
[/quote]
Would you suggest even retaking the Chem class that I got a C in even though I plan on receiving nothing less than a B in any other class from here on out? The only reason I received that C is because I realized its importance when it was too late.

Because words are easy, doing is hard. Your sGPA needs as much help as it can get, and you need to convince AdComs that you can handle the rigors of medical school by aceing difficult coursework NOW, before it gets much harder in medical school.

Because words are easy, doing is hard. Your sGPA needs as much help as it can get, and you need to convince AdComs that you can handle the rigors of medical school by aceing difficult coursework NOW, before it gets much harder in medical school.

would you suggest retaking all, and any classes that I have a C in? including the easy BIO & ENG gen eds. that I decided to not take serious my freshman year? My main concern would be being forced to graduate after 5 years. That would just look really bad.[/quote]

It depends upon the path you want to take. The easiest is to aim for DO programs because AACOMAS's grade replacement policy does wonders for the GPA.

For MD schools, retakes will be avged, but you still need to show you can master the pre-recs, and then a post-bac or SMP will show you can handle medical school.

Graduating in five years is not a deficit.

would you suggest retaking all, and any classes that I have a C in? including the easy BIO & ENG gen eds. that I decided to not take serious my freshman year? My main concern would be being forced to graduate after 5 years. That would just look really bad.
[/quote]

Don,
It's great that you realized your mistake earlier. You still have a lot of time. Haha, a lot of us didn't until years later. You're smarter than most of us :)

Now you have that " do well" mentality. You have a dream. How bad do you want it??? You do whatever it take to prove it to yourself and ad com. Your school will take priority but please do have a social life as well :). You start by pay attention. People study differently. Go to class. Study hard. Use various resources. Understand your preferr method. In my opinion, you want to acquire the skills that help you in the future not just getting As. After all, undergrad is just our first step. Most of us have jobs/volunteer/families.... We're busy all the time. Expect that. Put the time in and earn your strides. For example, i slept 5 hour average everyday last semester :).

Surround yourself with people that have the same motivation. That'll help you focus. Ask for their advices... Start small.

Don,
It's great that you realized your mistake earlier. You still have a lot of time. Haha, a lot of us didn't until years later. You're smarter than most of us :)

Now you have that " do well" mentality. You have a dream. How bad do you want it??? You do whatever it take to prove it to yourself and ad com. Your school will take priority but please do have a social life as well :). You start by pay attention. People study differently. Go to class. Study hard. Use various resources. Understand your preferr method. In my opinion, you want to acquire the skills that help you in the future not just getting As. After all, undergrad is just our first step. Most of us have jobs/volunteer/families.... We're busy all the time. Expect that. Put the time in and earn your strides. For example, i slept 5 hour average everyday last semester :).

Surround yourself with people that have the same motivation. That'll help you focus. Ask for their advices... Start small.

I want it real bad.. and that's an understatement. Greatly appreciate your feedback. I suppose I will start by retaking the classes in which I did not perform so well in, joining a chemistry club, taking summer courses, and volunteering or shadowing of some sort. Again, thank you very much for the feedback