Former law school student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GettingMyMPH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a former law school student - withdrew after the first semester. With my below average grades and the crumbling legal market, I knew that it would be almost impossible to have a legal career so I withdrew.

Besides that I have extensive public health experience: coordinating a federal grant, research, and 1 publication in the Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse.

My question is, how do you think my law school stint will affect my MPH acceptance prospects?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not much. They might ask why. Best to provide an honest answer.

I am a former law school student - withdrew after the first semester. With my below average grades and the crumbling legal market, I knew that it would be almost impossible to have a legal career so I withdrew.

Besides that I have extensive public health experience: coordinating a federal grant, research, and 1 publication in the Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse.

My question is, how do you think my law school stint will affect my MPH acceptance prospects?

I would recommend addressing in your personal statement essay why your grades were below average, why you ultimately withdrew, and (I think most critically) why the transition to the MPH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you withdrew, do the grades even show on your transcript from that time? If not I would not even talk about them, just address how you knew it wasn't your passion, the job prospects weren't great for the investment, etc. etc. Truthfully, if you are just applying for an MPH and your grades from undergrad and your GRE are good, I wouldn't waste any of the statement space addressing it at all and just focus on public health.

Since you withdrew, do the grades even show on your transcript from that time? If not I would not even talk about them, just address how you knew it wasn't your passion, the job prospects weren't great for the investment, etc. etc. Truthfully, if you are just applying for an MPH and your grades from undergrad and your GRE are good, I wouldn't waste any of the statement space addressing it at all and just focus on public health.

I disagree, somewhat. Devoting some sentence or two about law school is important, I think, especially as you can make a reasonable case for why you are transitioning into public health. However, not addressing it at all is a potential liability. It is a requirement that transcripts be submitted from all schools, even when no degree was granted. Would it not look odd to have transcripts from law school yet not talk about why you left it?

I agree, the focus of your essay should be primarily about public health - I mean, that makes total sense. But changes or transitions in your education history is something that needs reflection.

I also do not believe that job prospects for law graduates are particularly disheartening. This is in the popular culture, but statistics show otherwise (especially if you come from a top-tiered or well-respected school). Despite the debt of law school, having a JD is still regarded as a reasonable financial investment in the longer term. Incidentally, a public health degree is in the same camp. :D

I will agree to disagree. If it were a PhD program I would be more inclined to say something but for an MPH with great stats otherwise....not so much. Some schools have such a limited word count that even two sentences can be taking up valuable space. The other school of thought is will talking about it in the PS bring more attention to it? Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on the school and the admissions personnel. Only the OP knows whether they can weave it in while making a coherent and convincing argument. Good luck GettingMyMPH.