Former MD/PhD student looking to apply again to MD, MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J Doe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a nontraditional applicant for MD or MD/PhD programs and wanted to ask questions about my application here.

I spent six years at another MD/PhD program. I have various publications at the top journals (Cell, Science, Nature). I had a mental health crisis that resulted in some abnormal behavior. It led to me withdrawing from that MD/PhD program, but I have spent two years recovering.

I maintain a strong interest in academic medicine and I am ready to take another go at it.

How might my application be processed differently? How successful could an applicant like myself be? Do you have advice on how I can present myself in the best manner?

Thanks very much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you'll have much luck, but I wish you all the best.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure what "abnormal behavior" means, but I know a guy who had health issues that resulted in poor academic performance who ultimately dropped, reapplied, and managed to get a second shot. While he didn't get any interest from other schools, he did manage to satisfactorily explain the circumstances to his original school. My suggestion would be start there.

Members don't see this ad :)
How far did you get in 6 years? Did you walk away with anything (PhD, MS)? I’d guess this would be very hard, and that your best bet would be your prior institution (most likely to reduce your need to retake courses, understand your circumstance). MD/PhD should likely be written off entirely (given the number of candidates and quality of competition).

Abnormal behavior? Define. That's basically going to be the crux of your application's success or failure.
This.

OP, there's no way any of us can answer your question based on the scant info you've provided. As someone else already suggested, your best bet is to contact your original program and see if they'd be willing to allow you to re-enroll to complete your MD and/or PhD. If your behavior was so "abnormal" that their answer is no, then odds are excellent that the answer from other med schools will also be no. You should also check with your state medical board regarding whether that "abnormal behavior" will prevent you from getting licensed in your state or credentialed by a hospital even if you do complete medical school.

Status
Not open for further replies.