Former Md Wannabe From Memphis...i Think???please Help Me Decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmthoms1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am very confused about what I want to do at this time. I am a chemistry major and about to complete my bachelors. I am a former MD wannabe but all of a sudden I have the desire to look into the nursing field to become a CRNA. From the little research that I have done it looks as though I will have to complete 2 additonal years added to the three I've already done and then work as an RN for a year and then on top of that go back to school and complete 3 semesters. The reason I am confused is because I feel if I go the CRNA route by the time I finish getting a masters in Anesthesia then I could have received my MD and could be making more as a resident for the next four years(pursuing Anesthesiology or OB/GYN). But then again the two remaining years in residency if I pursue CRNA then I could have granduated and be making in the mid 100's. This isnt all about money but its more about my financial situation now and my age (23) and etc... I was thinking I will register to take the MCAT and try being admitted to a medschool and if not then pursue the CRNA field ( I dont want to spend the rest of my life thinking what if?)....as you can see I am very distraught here and if anyone wants to add an opinion please do I will take them all into consideration:confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I went through something similar-I was originally going to go for my BSN then take two additional years for the Nurse Practitioner license. But I kept having this nagging voice in the back of my head saying "you know you're settling" and I didn't want to have to listen to it the rest of my life. So I decided I have to at least try for it.

Personally, I think you'd have more options in anesthesiology if you have the MD. Otherwise you may find yourself butting up against a "ceiling" later on. I interviewed a Nurse Midwife last year and she said she regretted dearly not going to med school because she was starting to feel like things were getting very routine in her work since her ability to keep learning and take complicated cases was limited.

As far as your financial situation, remember that once you get into med school, loans become very readily available in fairly large amounts. So you may wind up $100k in debt, you'll make that in 6-9 months after you finish and if you can stay disciplined and living at the level you are used to for that additional time, you should have it paid off in a few years no problem. Also remember that financially, there really is no ideal time to do anything. You always wish you had more money or had things paid off, etc. But somehow you make it through.

Good luck-I know you'll make the right decision for you. Just listen to your heart first, and then let your head figure out how you're going to get there.

Hey I am right there with you. I graduated in '99 with a BA in Biology. The goal was to go to med shcool. Then I took a look at my grades and was like oh no. So I decided to attend Rutgers for a "post-bac" program. That was a waste of my time and money. The program was not organized. They had no real advisement to steer me in the right direction. I didn't know what I should be taking and what I shouldn't be taking. Then on top of that Iwas from out of state and the school provided no housing for me. Nor did they really make an attempt to help me find housing. So for the first two weeks of the program I lived at the Econo Lodge. Eventually I ended up leaving NJ and returning back to NY. I currently work in a cancer research lab. Its interesting but not something I want to do for the rest of my life. So I decided to get my masters in Medical Biology. Have an outstanding GPA but now I don't want to get that anymore. The reason is because I keeping thinking what happens if I don't get into med school. Then I am stuck with a masters that will only allow me to work in a lab setting. Not interested in that. I took the April 2002 MCAT and I have to take it again. But now I can't decide whether I should take it again or just pursue nursing. I found a program where I can get my BSN in one year. That's because I have my degree already. lmthoms1 you should find an accelerated program if you are really going to pursue nursing. And you should take the MCAT if you are not really sure. That what I may end up doing. Because like you I don't want to keep wondering "what if". And listen about interviewing the Midwife, its all subjective. She may regret her decision but that doesn't mean you will. My cousins wife also decided to pursue nursing instead of medicine and she loves it . She loves the flexibility with regards to hours and the fact that she can move anywhere and be guarunteed a job. So its really subjective. Don't base your decision on one individuals regrets.