Former Md Wannabe From Memphis...i Think???please Help Me Decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmthoms1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am very confused about what I want to do at this time. I am a chemistry major and about to complete my bachelors. I am a former MD wannabe but all of a sudden I have the desire to look into the nursing field to become a CRNA. From the little research that I have done it looks as though I will have to complete 2 additonal years added to the three I've already done and then work as an RN for a year and then on top of that go back to school and complete 3 semesters. The reason I am confused is because I feel if I go the CRNA route by the time I finish getting a masters in Anesthesia then I could have received my MD and could be making more as a resident for the next four years(pursuing Anesthesiology or OB/GYN). But then again the two remaining years in residency if I pursue CRNA then I could have granduated and be making in the mid 100's. This isnt all about money but its more about my financial situation now and my age (23) and etc... I was thinking I will register to take the MCAT and try being admitted to a medschool and if not then pursue the CRNA field ( I dont want to spend the rest of my life thinking what if?)....as you can see I am very distraught here and if anyone wants to add an opinion please do I will take them all into consideration:confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Anesthesia is a great field...as a CRNA or MDA.
I know many who love their profession.
One thing I have to say, is that many CRNA's would LOVE to be an Anesthesiologist, where as I do not know any Anesthesiologists who would rather be a CRNA.

Attending medical school, might be more satisfying in the long run, however, the schooling will be more difficult.
One thing I would like to stress is that CRNA?s are trained very well in their field?and the ones I have worked with are excellent.

Good luck with your decision!

I would say at least go throught the medical school application process. If you do not get in or still have second thoughts you can still pursue the CRNA route. Have you "shadowed" a CRNA? I think this might be a good idea if you haven't. I spent all my college years as a pre-med and then got out and began working thinking that I was only going to take a year off. Then I decided not to take the MCAT and pursue a career as a PA. Shadowing a PA made me realize how much I wanted to be a physician. So here I am in my first year of medical school. I cannot imagine doing anything else. And, I don't think I will ever wonder what if....!