Jun 16, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I am an active duty marine and am taking classes at a JC in northern Virginia, that being said i had a few questions.

Does being former military come up in interviews and can i consider that a strong plus for me?

I am taking the largest courseload possible while being active duty and actually had to see my BN CO to get it approved (10 credit hours / semester) that being said i have gotten three C's so far. I have noone to blame but myself, i spent two weeks in the field and came back to midterms in all the classes i just plain wasnt prepared. My question is this, will the school see that i was active at the time and be more lenient on those grades?

Any other info or stories you would like to share being former military now in medicine i'd love to hear!

Thanks!

TopSecret

Removed
Jul 14, 2009
949, 310
Status
Attending Physician
I am an active duty marine and am taking classes at a JC in northern Virginia, that being said i had a few questions.

Does being former military come up in interviews and can i consider that a strong plus for me?

I am taking the largest courseload possible while being active duty and actually had to see my BN CO to get it approved (10 credit hours / semester) that being said i have gotten three C's so far. I have noone to blame but myself, i spent two weeks in the field and came back to midterms in all the classes i just plain wasnt prepared. My question is this, will the school see that i was active at the time and be more lenient on those grades?

Any other info or stories you would like to share being former military now in medicine i'd love to hear!

Thanks!
Yeah, schools have a soft spot for people who served in the military and were deployed. I have a friend who served in the Marines as an officer and is now at Harvard.

COMBAT MEDIC172

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Welcome to SDN, medical schools love military personnel and it will be look upon favorably, even more so if you job was medical related. There are many factors that will help you during the application process. One is being able to talk about unique experiences, such as deployments. You are also going to have great leadership experiences, because it is not long before a new recruit is put in charge of other soldiers. It’s alright to have a couple of C's, but if you are receiving the poor grades because of a busy work schedule, then you need to cut a class out. It seems that you took on more than you can handle and now is not the time for this. If you truly want to get into medical school, you need to understand that it is now crunch time, so drop a class next semester and get A's in all of your courses. Good luck!