former or current usuhs students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishsticks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've looked on the website for usu and havent found anything about what a typical day would be like there. i know it is a military academy and that you start military life the day you get there. but my question is like besides going to classes do you have to do other military stuff. like bootcamp type stuff. any learning how to use firearms? if you could just give me a basic overview of how usuhs works i would be very appreciative.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, you are like any other medical student Monday - Friday from Aug - Jun. No other military responsibilities other than wearing the uniform to class, signing-in 3x per week so they can make sure you are still alive, taking a physical fitness test (every 6-12 months) and maybe one 10 minute uniform inspection per year. Even though most classes are optional, class is over 2-3 times per week at 1120 with the rest of the time allotted for independent study (Dean's Time). At the end of your MS-I year, you spend 1 month at an active duty base seeing what the real military does (1-8 stress-free hours per day depending on what you want to do and where you go) and 5 days in the 'field' practicing military medicine while simulating a deployment (in PA). Needless to say, when you are in school, all you have to worry about is school with 'camp' activities during the summer. By the way, you get normal breaks during national holidays, 2 weeks at X-Mas, 1 week off for spring break and 1 month of leave in the summer. Take care and good luck.

Falcon95
USUHS, MS-IV