Former Teachers or Career Changers to OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post here. I am looking for advice/input from career changers about being/becoming an OT. I am a former special education teacher so any input from former teachers would be greatly appreciated. I left my teaching job for two reasons; because I was very unhappy in my role as a teacher, and I had the opportunity to stay at home with my son for the past year. I took my pre-reqs during my year off and will find out in September if I get in to my OT program. Here are some of my areas of concern:

1.I have 6.5 years of teaching experience and 3 degrees. Shouldn't I be putting my education and experience to use?

2. Is OT worth going into $40-$50k or more worth of debt. I am currently debt free, except for my mortgage.

3. Fear of the unknown I suppose-going back to school again in a new field and essentially putting much of my life on hold for the next 3 years. I know it is worth it, but still

4. Anyone have regrets about leaving teaching or another career for OT? Part of me wants to teach again. Maybe thngs will be diferent in another district, but OT looks so appealing. I know there are school based jobs for OTs though.

Thanks for your advice and input. I feel I am at a crossroads this summer and any words of wisdom are much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you job shadowed or volunteered with OTs yet? I'm assuming you have since most schools require this for admission. But I think this is the best way to determine if OT is for you. I'm still fairly young but I've worked for 2 years after getting my undergrad before starting OT school so I do have some idea of what it's like for career changers going into OT. I'm also in a weekend graduate program for adult learners so about 75% of my class is doing this as a career change or branching out since some of the students have also been COTAs for many years. My advice would be to look at your experience in teaching special education. Did you enjoy working with these kids? Keep in mind that OTs can work with a variety of people from kids with disabilities to adults and older adults with or without disabilities, so there is a variety of populations to choose from. The job itself can be demanding and you are responsible for all treatment in the field of OT as the main OT, so you will have to work well and adapt to patient needs. I don't think there is anything wrong at all to change careers because you are unhappy, it will probably benefit you more in the end, even if it means taking a few years to do this. Just make sure you are going into this career for the right reasons. For me, I don't think it's a mistake to do this because the field of OT is so variable and you can do so many different things, I don't think I will ever get bored or burnt out, because you can always explore a different area of the profession. If you are still unsure I highly advise you to volunteer and job shadow more and maybe even interview a few OTs about their experiences. Many OTs I have met are very happy and satisfied with their careers.

I agree with jewel. You should observe OT's across 2-3 settings to make sure that's really what you want to do.. It doesn't have to be alot like people say either, only about 5-10 hours. Most private clinics will let you in to observe, schools and hospitals require a little more work. A very large portion of an OT's role in teaching patients one-on-one skills so that they can do them at home, that's why they're with patients for up to an hour. Therefore, if you said you didn't enjoy teaching then I would recommend observing OT's first..

Members don't see this ad :)
I taught for 2 years as a special education teacher and am starting an OT program this fall. It was an extremely difficult decision. I felt so lucky to have a good job with no debt. But I agree with you, I didn't enjoy my role as a teacher. I love working with kids with disabilities, especially working with the low incidence population. OT was the natural choice. I felt really guilty leaving my school and all my great students, but the lure of diverse work opportunities and a job that's actually in demand will keep me going. I worked closely with an OT in a school setting and recommend observing if you have not already. I think the debt is worth it as long as it is not any more than the expected starting salary of an OT. And I'm not the only former teacher in my program, nor the only career changer... There are several incoming students with families and over 30. I will miss my students but not teaching and dealing with all the changes/B.S. in our profession. How this helps!

I was very lucky to get a teaching job right out of school in 2009 (the market was tough!) but I was desperately unhappy in my career. I stayed for two years out of a sense of obligation to my school and my parents, who funded my education. I became thoroughly distraught at the thought of staying in teaching for the rest of my life, but I also felt like moving into another career was going to signal that I just didn't "make it" in teaching... that I "gave up" and failed.

It was the hardest decision of my life to change--but it was hands down also the very best. I have been using the last two years to work as a "lowly" rehab aide and take prerequisite courses. I am 26 and applying this fall for the first time to OT schools. I love the setting I work in and have learned so much that I will be able to bring with me as I enter the field.

I believe it is brave and courageous to change something that does not make you happy. Already, I have NO regrets!