"Fort Worth Vet Accused of Keeping Dog Alive for Transfusions"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Every profession has its bad apples, and unfortunately some of them can be particularly rotten. I'm glad the owners were able to get the dog back before it was too late, and I'm sure that vet will be getting his due. Not much more to discuss really.

Reactions: 3 users
I saw this earlier as well, makes me nauseous just thinking about that poor baby, and his family.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm withholding judgement until its more than accusations. I have no idea if anything in that article is accurate

This. It read as fairly sensationalist to me and it's all one-sided so far. I'm going to have faith that the Texas State Board will get to the truth of the matter and that if the veterinarian is found guilty, that appropriate actions are taken and justice is served.

Reactions: 1 user
i'm withholding judgement until its more than accusations. I have no idea if anything in that article is accurate

Yeah. And some of it doesn't really make sense to me. A vet that hordes animals to use them to save other animals via transfusions? I dunno. Seems odd.

I could just as easily see - and I'm not saying this happened, just saying I could totally see it - that family abandoning their animal at the vet.... the vet not wanting to euthanize it and unable to re-home it.... keeping it and turning it into the clinic transfusion beast now that he/she owns it. What if the family was the one doing the abusive kenneling that their attorney purports? All you need to do is "re-interpret" a few facts, have a family that distorts and lies about the history (because gee, that NEVER happens!), and you've totally turned the story around and now it's a vet who rescued an animal. Add in a disgruntled employee and a media outlet only too happy to be very selective in what facts to include and how to spin them, and ... yeah.

All to say; keep an open mind and don't believe what the media feeds you. Maybe it's a bad vet. Maybe it's a good vet. Maybe some day it's someone with a grudge against you that spins a story for the media. *shrug*

Reactions: 4 users
I think it is kind of weird that the vet tech was complaining about how the dog was surrounded by urine and feces - um, isn't that her job to clean the kennels or to at least supervise the kennel help who do that job? Why didn't she clean the dog's cage if she thought it was so unsanitary?

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, but you don't get arrested for animal cruelty just because an owner says you were cruel to her pet. Obviously the police found something more suspicious than just the owner's side of the story.

Very bizarre story though.

I haven't kept up with this story, but it has happened before where a vet was charged with animal cruelty, taken to court, taken to their state vet board and found innocent of all allegations.... Here is the story of that: (Obviously not a common occurrence, but it has occurred):

Dr. Winston comes to mind (Sheriff Joe Arpaio is an idiot and I can't stand that man, but that is only part of the issue). A disgruntled employee basically called and reported that Dr. Winston had repeatedly punched a chihuahua until it's eye popped out. There were numerous accounts from other employees that stated this was not true. The dog was taken to 3 other vets who also stated that there was no indication of trauma that would be consistent with punching a dog repeatedly in the head. The only thing those vets found was the suture closed eye (Dr. Winston repaired it immediately after the incident occurred) that had popped out while the dog was being restrained (as can happen even with the most gentle of handling to some dogs).

Here are a few accounts I found on this story.

This first one is an account told by someone else after they spoke with the accused vet and him telling the story of what happened:

http://www.dogster.com/the-scoop/update-on-phoenix-veterinarian-charged-with-abusing-chihuahua

Here is the AZ State Vet Board Review (well a small bit of what they said):

http://www.itchmo.com/veterinary-bo...f-punching-dog-still-faces-criminal-case-3103

Here is a new report from after the court case:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/westvalley/articles/2008/09/09/20080909chihuahua0909-ON.html

Last edited:
Did anyone else find the story written by the lawyer ( the pdf link) really bizarrely written and unprofessional? I have never read an official statement by a lawyer before, but this seems like a cheap tabloid account of the story. It makes the defendant's story seem less likely. That they hired a lawyer who writes and publishes their story in such a way makes them seem, I don't know, less trustworthy or something.

Yeah, but you don't get arrested for animal cruelty just because an owner says you were cruel to her pet. Obviously the police found something more suspicious than just the owner's side of the story.

Very bizarre story though.

Here's the update about his arrest: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national...-Horrific-Allegations-of-Abuse-257420541.html
Very bizarre indeed. Then the news station proceeded to to make a follow-up story at my job on how blood transfusions are done in pets I guess to educate the public and possibly negate the horror from that whole situation. http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/05/02/how-dogs-donate-blood/

Last edited:
Yea girl I've been there for a little over a year haha. Small world :D

This is a small world! I worked in every aspect of that clinic from the kennel to the ICU! I know a few people that still work there. I moved back to my hometown to get my undergrad for vet school. I miss working the ICU!

More than anything else, I want to find out what is up with the dog boarding for 4 months for cold laser therapy for an anal sac problem...