Found out I had flu before 1st MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malakite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
quick question. I have taken the MCAT twice, and the first time I took it, I bombed the Verbal section, MAINLY because I wasn't feeling well the morning of the test; I still did OK (still not great) on the science sections though. I found out the following week I had the flu and am certain that is why I didn't do well on the verbal section. I still took the 1st test because I had been studying for months prior to the test and still felt very confident about taking it a few days before the test date. However, my second MCAT was much better because I wasn't sick. Should I tell MD/PhD committees of this problem? If so, any recommendations on what I should and should not say?

thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you saying you "feel" better about your second mcat, or that your actual score is much better? IMO, If the second score is better than the first I feel like it speaks for itself - you could write or talk about your performance on the first mcat if someone asks specifically, but it seems like overkill to go out of your way to explain it when the numbers tell the story themselves.

Understandable, but the verbal was like a real **** bomb. I just don't want adcoms thinking that I was really scoring that low of score in Verbal cause I really wasn't. I think I will just not mention it unless, like you said, they ask. If anyone else has opinions, please share. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Never bring up your negatives unless you absolutely have to. Let others do that. Sell yourself.

Your second score speaks for itself. The last thing you want to do is direct people who weren't paying attention to, or otherwise wouldn't care about, your first score. Don't mention your first score.

I concur with Neuronix.