Four year commitment sign on bonus for 3 yr scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

distressstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 2-3 year scholarship still offers the 4 year sign on bonus if you agree to serve for 4 years.

My question is if that's 4 year of active duty or 4 year of payback? What's the specific language used on the contract for the sign on bonus?

For example, Air Force now makes everyone take the AEGD if selected. Would a three year recipent be expected to be in for four years or five years if they took the sign on bonus and doing AEGD?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
4 years. Residency and school scholarship are payed back concurrently.
From what I understand residency years are neutral years. It's the years of active duty obligation that they incurred that can be served out concurrently.

I know AEGD residency used to be able to serve out concurrently but I believe that's no longer the case

So I am wonder if the sign on bonus incurs additional year of obligation or simply state you have to be on armed force for minimal of 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ye
From what I understand residency years are neutral years. It's the years of active duty obligation that they incurred that can be served out concurrently.

I know AEGD residency used to be able to serve out concurrently but I believe that's no longer the case

So I am wonder if the sign on bonus incurs additional year of obligation or simply state you have to be on armed force for minimal of 4 years.
If you took the signing bonus, you would incur 4 years of payback as an active duty dentist, with AEGD being a neutral year where no 'credits' towards the 4 years would be earned. Upon finishing the AEGD, you would then work 4 years active duty to satisfy the 3 year HPSP + signing bonus.

Okay moot point for the Air Force

Finally found my contract and the sign on bonus is only eligible for medical only.

how about if you did you did a 4 year residency like omfs straight from dental school (but under the 3 year scholarship), would the fourth year of the residency technically count for the bonus?