1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

four years vs. five years

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jesca1213, Jul 19, 2006.

1. jesca1213

jesca1213 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey y'all,

Is it better to wait to apply to med. school after graduating in five years with a stronger GPA, or to graduate in the normal four years with a slightly below average GPA?

If I wait five years, my science GPA would be a 3.53 while graduating in four would put it at a 3.38. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What about applying during your fourth and then based on the results, go the extra year if need be?

4. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How is it that you're positive your science GPA will increase? Surely you have to take the classes before you know what grade you'll receive in them.

Regardless, my own opinion is that you would likely fair better with the higher science GPA. If the timing of your application means that you'll be out of school for a year before entering med school, though, be prepared to discuss what you've been up to in your time off, either in essays or interviews (and hopefully have something good to report).

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No one gets in on GPA alone. Is your BCPM strong? Your MCAT? Your ECs? If your other stats are really strong, a 3.38 might be enough for some schools, particularly if you live in the right state. If they are really weak, a 3.53 might just be a good start in fixing things, but may not in and of itself be enough.

6. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

Always go with the higher GPA, no matter what the question. Shoot, take 6 years in undergrad if you have to. Better that than graduating in four with a low gpa and then taking one of those valueless special masters program that will put you in $60k of debt before the med-school-loan-horse has even left the gate.

7. durfen

durfen I see plans within plans
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm graduating in five with a 3.2 BCPM (3.6 overall), but a 39 MCAT, I am not going to take another year.

8. Personally, it took me longer to mature academically. Right out of high school I went to a community college. I thought I was going to trasnfer to a univ. to major in biochem. I changed my major to Biology/Anthropology and will be at the university for three more whole years. I'm taking two extra summer quarters (excess) to bring up the GPA and pick up a cool minor.

Overall, I'm glad its going to take my five years. I know several other people that maybe take four and then a quarter or semester. I don't really care, it gave me time for EC's, clinical exp, and more time for shadowing....and im applying my fith year.

I know someone you did a biology BS in three years with really good grades and work partime in a pharmacy and is now in pharmacy school. Do whatever makes you happy.

9. jesca1213

jesca1213 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    So it is...I will take my sweet slow time and try to do the best I can to increase my GPA, as well as add some more clinical experiences. I guess it would be smart to also repeat my C and D in Calc.1 and 2 respectively since I'm going to add the extra year anyways. Thanks for all the advice guys.