jesca1213

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey y'all,

Is it better to wait to apply to med. school after graduating in five years with a stronger GPA, or to graduate in the normal four years with a slightly below average GPA?

If I wait five years, my science GPA would be a 3.53 while graduating in four would put it at a 3.38. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What about applying during your fourth and then based on the results, go the extra year if need be?

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
jesca1213 said:
Hey y'all,

Is it better to wait to apply to med. school after graduating in five years with a stronger GPA, or to graduate in the normal four years with a slightly below average GPA?

If I wait five years, my science GPA would be a 3.53 while graduating in four would put it at a 3.38. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
How is it that you're positive your science GPA will increase? Surely you have to take the classes before you know what grade you'll receive in them.

Regardless, my own opinion is that you would likely fair better with the higher science GPA. If the timing of your application means that you'll be out of school for a year before entering med school, though, be prepared to discuss what you've been up to in your time off, either in essays or interviews (and hopefully have something good to report).

About the Ads

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
jesca1213 said:
Hey y'all,

No one gets in on GPA alone. Is your BCPM strong? Your MCAT? Your ECs? If your other stats are really strong, a 3.38 might be enough for some schools, particularly if you live in the right state. If they are really weak, a 3.53 might just be a good start in fixing things, but may not in and of itself be enough.

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Sunny California
Status
Always go with the higher GPA, no matter what the question. Shoot, take 6 years in undergrad if you have to. Better that than graduating in four with a low gpa and then taking one of those valueless special masters program that will put you in $60k of debt before the med-school-loan-horse has even left the gate.

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Law2Doc said:
No one gets in on GPA alone. Is your BCPM strong? Your MCAT? Your ECs? If your other stats are really strong, a 3.38 might be enough for some schools, particularly if you live in the right state. If they are really weak, a 3.53 might just be a good start in fixing things, but may not in and of itself be enough.
I'm graduating in five with a 3.2 BCPM (3.6 overall), but a 39 MCAT, I am not going to take another year.

W

WWU_Viking

Personally, it took me longer to mature academically. Right out of high school I went to a community college. I thought I was going to trasnfer to a univ. to major in biochem. I changed my major to Biology/Anthropology and will be at the university for three more whole years. I'm taking two extra summer quarters (excess) to bring up the GPA and pick up a cool minor.

Overall, I'm glad its going to take my five years. I know several other people that maybe take four and then a quarter or semester. I don't really care, it gave me time for EC's, clinical exp, and more time for shadowing....and im applying my fith year.

I know someone you did a biology BS in three years with really good grades and work partime in a pharmacy and is now in pharmacy school. Do whatever makes you happy.

OP
J

jesca1213

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
WWU_Viking said:
Personally, it took me longer to mature academically. Right out of high school I went to a community college. I thought I was going to trasnfer to a univ. to major in biochem. I changed my major to Biology/Anthropology and will be at the university for three more whole years. I'm taking two extra summer quarters (excess) to bring up the GPA and pick up a cool minor.

Overall, I'm glad its going to take my five years. I know several other people that maybe take four and then a quarter or semester. I don't really care, it gave me time for EC's, clinical exp, and more time for shadowing....and im applying my fith year.

I know someone you did a biology BS in three years with really good grades and work partime in a pharmacy and is now in pharmacy school. Do whatever makes you happy.
So it is...I will take my sweet slow time and try to do the best I can to increase my GPA, as well as add some more clinical experiences. I guess it would be smart to also repeat my C and D in Calc.1 and 2 respectively since I'm going to add the extra year anyways. Thanks for all the advice guys.

About the Ads