• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Nestle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 21, 2001
Status (Visible)
Hi. Any recommendations for 4th year electives to take? I'm interested in internal med, possibly cards or GI. what are some things you think would be useful to take?

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Status (Visible)
Hi. Any recommendations for 4th year electives to take? I'm interested in internal med, possibly cards or GI. what are some things you think would be useful to take?

hmm...maybe cards or gi?

Scarlet_Fire

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2002
Status (Visible)
If you are considering doing an IM residency (which it sounds like you are based upon your interest in GI and cards), a VERY worthwhile elective would be to do a month of Critical Care (e.g. in the ICU/MICU/whatever). Do so in a "closed ICU" that has its own unit team versus an "open" ICU, where anyone can admit. It is literally a living physiology laboratory. It really will help you take care of the far end of the disease acuity spectrum. There is also (depending on where you train) a tremendous opportunity for procedures (e.g. chest tubes, central lines, A-lines, possibly doing intubations, and of course, ACLS protocols).

About the Ads

june015b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2004
Status (Visible)
Since you are intersted in GI or Card, I also recommend doing an elective in GI or card. I did a senior elective this past fall and it was very helpful getting insight in GI.

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
Metropolis
Status (Visible)
I think that one of the best electives to prepare you for an IM resiency is ID, so that you won't be consulting on every one of your cellulitis patients (as some attendings seem to like to do :rolleyes: ). It's also very useful for step II studying purposes too. Radiology is another nice fourth year elective for people going into IM. Finally, I'd try to do a sub-i in the MICU/CCU too, so you will be prepared in case they throw you into the ICU in July when you start your internship year.

Aloha Kid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2001
Status (Visible)
Would anyone recommend doing two IM sub internships the fourth year?

Also, I hear that doing CCU immediately in the beginning of your fourth year is risky second to not having enough experience to handle some of the cases. Would it be wise to finish your Sub Internships first, possibly ER, cards, or anesthesia, before CCU?

avendesora

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2002
Status (Visible)
Do your sub-i first or second. If you're not ready after 3rd year, you're not going to be any better of in October. Remember, it's a "sub-I" but they will not forget that you are still a student. Hard work is more important than pure skills.

ER, Rads, Anesthesia, ICU are all valuable. Rads especially has been helpful to me. So often we forget that x-rays are not "magic" and reading films is a good way to learn what they can and cannot do. Derm and Optho are nice if you can fit them.

Try to do some outpatient medicine rotations to make sure you like clinic. Personally, I hate clinic, so I guess at least I know that I'm going to hate it during my residency :) Prolly more to due with the fact that they are not "my" patients during med school.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.