Fourth Year = Masters or another BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canadian Premed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have an issue, as I posted earlier, I'm not sure whether if I should apply one year early and go to medschool after three years of undergrad or stay in undergrad for the fourth year and go to medschool after. My question is, what will look better on my resume; a B.S. in Chemistry (Certified major at my college = really good) or a 1 year Masters program in Biology (GPA is already good, no need to just do masters to improve)?

After 3 years are done I'm gonna have a B.A. in Chemistry and a B.S. in Biology so I'm already a double major. I thought however, two B.S.'s will look good, but again I was recommended by a Biology advisor to do an accelerated Bio Masters program for my senior year.

Members don't see this ad.

All you need to apply is a B.A. Only reasons for doing the other options is 1) GPA not good (which is not the case) or 2) Not ready to go to med school yet.

what's the rush? honestly? if finances are not a problem or there is no imminent reason you need to finish in 3 years, then stay the 4th year. but don't coast. keep up your grades. take more classes to help you prep for med school. take some classes in other things that you are interested in (who doesn't love a well-rounded student?). do some research. some shadowing. or some volunteering (or all three). get some more life experiences that further confirm your desire to become a physician. enjoy the quarter pitcher special at your local bar on a wednesday night.

here's your grain of salt for my opinion -- i'm an *older* applicant (i.e. not right out of college) and i'm glad for my extra time and experience before starting med school....

Members don't see this ad :)
Bail out! Go to med school as soon as possible.

If you have to stay, do the masters. 3 majors are completely WORTHLESS!

If you have to stay, do the masters. 3 majors are completely WORTHLESS!

I would add, if you do a masters, do a real masters, not a 1 year get me into med school program. This, however, will likely take 2 years. In any event, masters where you don't do research will likely yield only minimal benifit.

TexPre-Med, I wont have 3 majors, If I finish in 3 years then I'll have a BS and a BA. If I come back for fourth I can take more chemistry courses to have a BS instead of the BA.

Since many of you said masters wont help much, is there anything I should do to strengthen my resume? I mean even If I start doing some serious research, that wont be until fall of 2009, and my application will be submitted on June, so it wont benefit me since I can't put it in my application...

Unless you love undergrad, or it's free, I'd say finish in three years and save yourself some money. As far as strengthening your app - do you have clinical experience? Volunteering? ECs? How's your MCAT score? Etc...

I'm taking the MCAT this August, so I dunno yet.

The thing about my clinical experience, is uhh I'm just starting this month, so I'll have only 3 months and going of like 10+ hours a week by the time I apply if I decide to apply this June... Also some free tutoring was offered..

My EC's, well I'm part of some college clubs. Will that be sufficient?

I'm taking the MCAT this August, so I dunno yet.

The thing about my clinical experience, is uhh I'm just starting this month, so I'll have only 3 months and going of like 10+ hours a week by the time I apply if I decide to apply this June... Also some free tutoring was offered..

My EC's, well I'm part of some college clubs. Will that be sufficient?

I would do a masters. Doing another BA/BS is useless and adcoms wont like it as much as a publishing masters machine :D .

Your EC's are all right, maybe do some shadowing (family doctor) and volunteering (big brothers).

masters! it's an advancement, not a redundancy.

Negative, ghostrider. Leaving undergrad after 3 years is like leaving a party at 7pm. Senior year of college was the best year of my life. You'll have plenty of time to let med school suck you dry later.