Fox Chase to become part of Temple Health System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nothingman

We're getting there.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.philly.com/philly/health/135681243.html?cmpid=131298144

Thoughts on this? I think it'll be a big shot in the arm for Fox Chase and their program. I know there has been some recent flux in their rad onc department and some financial troubles within the institution.

From personal, completely unscientific, unverified and anecdotal experience, several primary care attendings in the Philly community have told me that they've stopped referring patients to Fox Chase (not wrt rad onc specifically) because they found it was almost impossible to reach their patient's cancer physicians at Fox Chase directly by phone and in a timely manner, which may be reflecting the institution's recent fiscal difficulties (or may be random bad luck/service).

Anyway, I hope this turns out to be a big positive to what has traditionally been an outstanding program, clinical site, and cancer research institute.

Members don't see this ad.

I know FCCC has been trying to expand for years. So maybe now with more resources and land at their disposal via Temple, a potential expansion - both physically and financially - will allow them to regain some ground on UPENN in the battle for cancer treatment supremacy in the Philly region. But as an outsider looking in, it's tough to say how the new deal will impact individual departments within the institution, i.e. will this deal benefit the rad onc dept more than the heme onc dept? or vice versa? or surgery more than radiology? I would imagine only those within the institution know the answers to those questions. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

They were having high turnover in their med onc department as well. I worked several days with a med onc attending who was previously at FCCC for many years who had a lot of negative things to say about the administration and financial troubles at FCCC. Hopefully this will help turn things around for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct. Temple did not have its own program AFAIK although they operate a large teaching hospital in North Philly with many residencies and several satellite locations.

Last edited:
Yes, in the near future FCCC/Temple will be pretty much a combined program. FCCC HemOnc fellowship already operates in that manner (50:50 rotation).
Need clarification from Drexel folks - as I understand Abington Hospital is now the primary site?