fp and omm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatbigbuff

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if it is necessary for a family practice hopefull to get a residency which has an emphasis on omm for that person to do a lot of it in practice. I would like to do a lot of omm some day and I'm not sure if family practice is the right route or what. Any other thoughts about how to practice omm would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It would be more helpful to learn and/or advance your OMM skills in the setting of a residency that encourages training and practice of OMM (OMT). You can go straight into practice using this medical tool if you choose.

It is possible to advance these skills after residency but to start from scratch would be difficult and time consuming. Likely, much more difficult as the time pressures from family medicine practice will limit your ability to take OMT CME plus all the rest of medicine you will need to keep updated.

With that being said, you must seriously look at what family medicine programs accentuate OMM. Many of the DO programs won't and if going into FP, a strong FP program overall is vital.

There are a few allo residencies that support DO and MD development of OMM skills. I'm in one now in TN.

If you are DO and truely want to use OMT as a large percentage of your practice. I would suggest looking into OMM residencies or OMM fellowships after you finish your residency.

Good Luck.

If your are a DO their are serveral "3+1" type programs which combine internship, fp, and OMM into one program. One such program exists a Florida Hospital East Orlando. You will be board eligible for FP and OMM (AAO). Although you do not need (in Fl) to be "boarded" (by the AAO) to practice and/or bill for OMM, the extra training certainly helps.

-- Bag

Members don't see this ad :)
there is a similar program in maine that is affiliated with unecom

So Florida does not require a physician to be boarded by the aao to practice omm? Are there many other states who are similar? Thanks, this helps a lot!