FP hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookHero20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there many FP's that opt to do purely hospitalist care?

and if so, are the majority of FP residencies geared toward in-hospital treatment (i'd imagine so but I wonder, if I had this hospitalist career in mind, what would I look for in particular in an FP residency?)

Members don't see this ad.

and if so, are the majority of FP residencies geared toward in-hospital treatment (i'd imagine so but I wonder, if I had this hospitalist career in mind, what would I look for in particular in an FP residency?)

Yes, I graduated from a Family Medicine residency program, and do purely Hospitalist work.
I love it.
I would say no, most FP residencies are geared moreso towards clinic. Clinic is nice also, and more predictable hours and work.
Hospital is more spontaneous, but you know that you are going to get sicker patients that you can treat.

I would say no, most FP residencies are geared moreso towards clinic.

Maybe compared to a typical internal medicine residency, where "continuity clinics" are more a distraction than anything else, but a significant portion of family medicine residency takes place in the hospital.

I felt quite comfortable taking care of inpatients by the time I finished residency. I chose not to do so in practice, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
as an intern finishing up 3.5 months straight of inpatient family medicine I'm not really feeling like my residency program is primarily geared toward clinic!
:eek:

However, I love my clinic escape every week, and cannot wait for the day that I never EVER EVER have to round again!:love:

I would imagine that you'd probably be best served by a strong unopposed FM program. Of course that is a very general statement, and so it is important to find out the specifics of any individual program. I would be sure to ask about:
- patient volume and variety on the inpatient FM teaching service
- quality of teaching on the inpatient service
- inpatient procedures (lines, paracentesis, thoracentesis, LP, etc)-- both the quality of teaching those procedures, as well as if there is enough volume for you to truly achieve competence in doing them unsupervised
- is there a good relationship with the IM service or do you compete for the "good" cases and procedures
- ICU exposure
- are any graduates of the program doing hospitalist work now (and then find out if you can contact them and ask questions about their experience)

In third year, we do in-patient medicine/ICU all year long while also going through our designated electives. Third years take turns being the MAR (Medical Admitting Resident) and PAR (Pediatric Admitting Resident). The MAR also admits/manages the OB patients that belong to our FM faculty group practice.

Yes, there are some hospitalist programs that will even 'train' you while you work. They will help you get experience doing bedside procedures, etc.

Maybe compared to a typical internal medicine residency, where "continuity clinics" are more a distraction than anything else, but a significant portion of family medicine residency takes place in the hospital.

I felt quite comfortable taking care of inpatients by the time I finished residency. I chose not to do so in practice, however.

Do you feel you have lost your inpatient skills as a result of several years of doing only outpatient?

If so, is that a source of concern?

Do you feel you have lost your inpatient skills as a result of several years of doing only outpatient?

Absolutely.

If so, is that a source of concern?

Not really.

I could pick it up again if I had to (I'd be rusty, not stupid), although I have no plans to do so (excepting some sort of post-apocalyptic worst case scenario.) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
FP's come out of any good training program with more than enough experience to be hospitalists. It's becoming more common every day.

That said, it is much tougher to go from hospital to clinic than the other way. This has more to do with hospital CYA stupidity than actual incompetence or "rustiness" on the part of community docs suddenly wanting to be hospitalists. These days, getting privileges for medicine or OB is easiest when you are just exiting training.

You can go from the community to the hospital, but depending on the credentialing committee of the hospital, it may take some sort of residency-esque "re-cert" crap that few practicing docs want to deal with.

Therefore, the going wisdom is to start in hospital if you're unsure. Moving out to the community is much easier.

That said, it is much tougher to go from hospital to clinic than the other way. This has more to do with hospital CYA stupidity than actual incompetence or "rustiness" on the part of community docs suddenly wanting to be hospitalists. These days, getting privileges for medicine or OB is easiest when you are just exiting training.

You can go from the community to the hospital, but depending on the credentialing committee of the hospital, it may take some sort of residency-esque "re-cert" crap that few practicing docs want to deal with.

I guess I should've mentioned that I've maintained privileges at my local hospitals. Even though I don't admit, being on "community staff" has a few advantages, one of which is making it easier to upgrade one's privileges later, should the need arise.

My colleague from residency is now working as a hospitalist. If you enjoy inpatient medicine, it's a great opportunity.

Is there any pay difference between FP and IM hospitalists or are they competing for the same job/pay?

as an intern finishing up 3.5 months straight of inpatient family medicine I'm not really feeling like my residency program is primarily geared toward clinic!
:eek:

However, I love my clinic escape every week, and cannot wait for the day that I never EVER EVER have to round again!:love:

hey, residency is not real life dude. Hang in there. Things are tougher on purpose seems like sometimes.

Is there any pay difference between FP and IM hospitalists or are they competing for the same job/pay?

I think that the difference is like $10,000 or maybe even less. I am not quite sure why.
Hospitalist medicine is TOUGH and fast paced. If you have a SOLID ER to work with, then that is key.
If your ER is bad, then you are going to have a very rough job. Research carefully.