FP residencies on the East coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VitaminK

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good residency programs on the east coast? I'm especially looking at the southeast and think unopposed programs are the best. I don't know how competitive I will be, but I got a 205 on step 1 and have done well in school so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Yours is a hard question to answer. It really seems to depend on what you are looking for. I attend med school in the southeast and have applied to many programs (both large and small). I have the same step I score and I have found that interviews at least are easy to come by. Because I am doing the couples' match I have applied mostly to university programs, but I have a few unopposed programs as well. The unopposed programs I have gotten interviews to are Bayfront in Tampa, MCE in Birmingham, Ghent and VCU/Riverside in Virginia, and Trident in Charleston which may be at least university-affiliated. As you probably know, applying to a family med residency is largely due to "hmmm...where do I want to live," without knowing a whole lot about the program. Hopefully, the interview/tour/etc. will help to get a feel of the place (whatever that means).

If you are truly only interested in unopposed programs I can only tell you what I have heard thru the grapevine here in GA. Rome, GA is supposed to be a great small program with extensive procedure training. Albany, GA has a good reputation by word of mouth from classmates who have rotated there. Nevertheless, I have not applied to any of these programs. South Carolina also has a good reputation unopposed programs.

i am rotating in MT right now with the IHS and the family docs out here are as we have all heard about in myths. the perform EGDs, colonoscopies, c-sections, lap appys, lap choles. i want to practice cowboy medicine too but get trained for it on the east coast. preferably NE. anyone know of any programs where i can train like that? i dont mind busting my hump, i just want to be very well prepared.