fp residency, good job market and salary?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by medicalstudent, Jan 2, 2002.

1. medicalstudent

medicalstudent Junior Member

just wondering what the current trend in FP is in terms of supply/demand and salary and good residency opportunities at southern california. many thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Magree

Magree Senior Member

Hi:

I am not that familiar with the current market situation in FP but it has been going down in popularity and a lot of programs didn't fill last year - even in California. FPs I've talked to say that there are lots of jobs but that still doesn't seem to really boost salary much. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

M-

4. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member

FP, according to Medical Economics magazine, is in somewhat of a funk. Salaries have not kept up with inflation over the past 5 years, even though the government proclaimed a "shortage" just 5 years ago.

Having said that, Southern California may have the least favorable job market for (any)physicians, due to oversaturation and managed care penetration. Starting salaries (in general) are between $100-125k, with 125k in the midwest and closer to $100k in California.

5. medicalstudent

medicalstudent Junior Member

thank you very much for your inputs. anyone here going into fp despite the oversaturation in california?

6. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

I'm considering FP, but in Kentucky where there is actually a shortage of FPs. :)

7. Magree

Magree Senior Member

Hi:

I am not sure that there is an "oversaturation" in California - many places are still in need of docs - the oversupply is probably just in the really popular places to live. A lot of FPs have left CA in the past 10 years because of the infiltration of managed care policy etc. If you want to work as an FP in California I'm sure you can find a job - just probably not in Beverly Hills ;) .

M-

8. hernia

hernia New Member

im currently considering doing fp and my take is "if u do it right in the right place u cant go wrong "!...so a highly rated fp program will give u the chips to cash in the job market ..also these surveys r kinda misleading by the time u r finishing the market situaion is either changed or has reversed ...sometimes its not even relevant to ur goals ...

9. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

Hernia,
    Just out of curiosity, what FP programs do you consider "highly rated"?