FP Residency in South, Southeast or West (excluding cali)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimfp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am an MS-III looking into residency programs that allow MS-IV rotation months. I am particularly interested in "Unopposed" Family Medicine Programs with strong Ob procedural training and the possibility of 4th year fellowships. I am currently located in NE Ohio. I am interested however in doing my training in FP in the South, Southeast or rural West (excluding cali). I would appreciate any input on programs. Thanks, Jim

Members don't see this ad.

Check out John Peter Smith in Fort Worth Texas. Their FM program is the largest in Texas ( and the US) and runs the Tarrant Co. hospital.
They are procedure heavy. Rumor has it they do the most procedures of any FM residency in Texas. There are two opposing programs- OB and Psyche- but with the shear number of patients you will find that FM is not competing with these programs.
As for fellowships- The FM program has a unique program called the P4 program. This program allows you to integrate a fellowship into your residency while adding on another year. From the top of my mind these include : OB, rural with OB, geriatrics, maternal/peds, sports medicine and hospitalist ( probably more). There are more and you might be able to establish a new one.
check them out: http://www.jpshealthnet.org/

University of Wyoming in Casper is unopposed, rural, and has an OB track. We also have med student rotations. No fellowships, though.

Just PM me if you have questions.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some awesome programs in the southeast. Some good ones, though I don't know any specifics about fellowships, include...

NC: MAHEC-Asheville, Moses Cone
SC: Trident, Palmetto, Self, Spartanburg
FL: Morton Plant Mease, Halifax, Bayfront

Reactions: 1 user
I am just completing a residency in Rapid City, SD in the Black Hills. It has been an amazing experience with very strong OB training. (In fact, I'm on the labor deck now waiting for one of my continuity patients to deliver!)

You should definitely consider a rotation out here... The residency offers a $750 stipend to rotate here and learn about our program. PM me if you have any questions!

Good luck:luck:

Hello, I am an MS-III looking into residency programs that allow MS-IV rotation months. I am particularly interested in "Unopposed" Family Medicine Programs with strong Ob procedural training and the possibility of 4th year fellowships. I am currently located in NE Ohio. I am interested however in doing my training in FP in the South, Southeast or rural West (excluding cali). I would appreciate any input on programs. Thanks, Jim

UNM-St. Vincent, Santa Fe in New Mexico has very strong OB ( all of 6 months!) and is unopposed. Program itself does not have fellowships but the main University program has several and you'll still have a good chance to go there.

Anyone know about the Barberton City Hospital unopposed FM program?:xf:

CoxHealth in Springfield, MO (sorta south) is an unopposed FP residency with very strong OB training. They have an OB/GYN on staff who trains the residents in c/s and they get tons of deliveries as they have their own OB pts but there are a few docs in the community who like to do prenatal care but don't have hospital privileges so they deliver those as well. They have an excellent student rotation as I did my 3rd year clerkship there and enjoyed it very much. They don't have fellowships as its a small community program, but I'm sure you'd be fine in terms of getting them elsewhere, and might not need one depending on what fellowship you're interested in. I am not going into FP but if I were would have seriously considered their program.

...in the life of an unopposed intern, PGY2 & 3. And what is a call like? Thanks. and how about an "Atypical" day too.