FP Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOtally great

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering what family practice residency is like. I read a few posts under the residency forum and well I was blown away and afraid 2 death but that post did not specify what field of residency he/she was talking about. I know FP residencies vary from state to state and location in a state but overall how demanding is it. Don't get me wrong I'm not a slacker but at the same time I don't have the stamina and work ethic of a surgeon for example. No disrespect to primary care but I get the feeling that even more time/effort/stamina is needed for specialties but I can be flat out wrong about that. what do I know im just a 2nd year med student. I have my heart set on family practice and I would really appreciate some insight of how fp residency is. Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

What do you want to know about FP residency? Hours? Workload?

Regarding hours, I have met the under 80-hour regulation for all of my rotations so far except surgery (ended that one at 86 hrs/week average). For the other rotations I have done I have averaged anywhere from 50-70 hours per week.

The call schedule isn't too bad at our hospital because we have a night float system. During the week our calls are from 4:30-8:30, and then the night float team comes on. Our only overnight calls are Friday and Saturday nights. We get a lot of admissions at night, since we admit for pretty much the whole hospital. There are also a lot of calls from the floors, so our calls are busy, and we don't have much free time.

Workload depends on the rotation you are on. I have been responsible for seeing anywhere from 3-15 patients on my different rotations. FP residency ends up being about half inpatient and half outpatient, so the workload varies.

Hope that is some help. You will work hard no matter what residency you do (especially as an intern!) but FP is one of the least demanding residencies.