fp salary q's help??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you are willing to work as hard as you would in say, gen surg, is it possible to make like $200k in fp ??

Members don't see this ad.

YES, especially if you do procedures like vasectomies, flexsigs, biopsies, etc which are very billable.

you can make 200 if you work hard and like the above post...do procedures. you could moonlight on weekends in urgent care if you desired too. fp is wide open...you can do so much or so little...the beauty of the specialty!

Members don't see this ad :)
In my practice, if you see 25 plus patients per day, you can average over $160K if you work 4 days per week and well over $200K if you work 5 days per week. We do vasectomies, simple derm procedures. That's about it.

hey seatledoc...how do you get certified or proficient in say vasectomies?....its hard for me...b/c my residency is catholic based...so it sux..we cant do them in our clinic.

I would look around your medical neighborhood and find a doc (urology or FP) that does vasectomies and schedule some time with them. I only did about a dozen during my training but was fortunate to have a colleague at my first post-residency job that helped me along with the first few.

But definitely look around, you'll find someone that will teach you.

Hi,

I'm in New York and wanted to know if any FP's do OB. This is a crisis state for OB and I was wondering how that worked, and just how does one get into that?

If you are so concerned about money, why not go into a field that lets you make more with less effort? I mean you will put in long hours in most fields, why not do something that gives you the most on your investment?

maybe because people are realizing you can make alot more $$ than most think doing FP without the rediculous hours and lifestyle of other specialties.

How can a traditional FP practitioner have a good lifestyle? Office hours all day. Hospital rounds. Occasional emergency delivery.. etc. Patients calling all night when you are on call.

FPs make little for the amount of time they put in. All the uncompenated phone calls, prolonged office visits, trips to the hospital, etc.

Originally posted by emedpa
YES, especially if you do procedures like vasectomies, flexsigs, biopsies, etc which are very billable.

Will these procedures be covered in malpractice?

yes xcept OB. Ob requires an additional sub-policy. it varies from location to location. most people say if you deliver atleast 4 babies a month its worth it...as far as paying for your additional malpract and actually seeing some revenue from delivering. but, most places if your doing OB as an FP they will paying for your malpract anyhow.