cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
if you are willing to work as hard as you would in say, gen surg, is it possible to make like $200k in fp ??

dr.smurf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
you can make 200 if you work hard and like the above post...do procedures. you could moonlight on weekends in urgent care if you desired too. fp is wide open...you can do so much or so little...the beauty of the specialty!

About the Ads

seattledoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
seattle
Status (Visible)
In my practice, if you see 25 plus patients per day, you can average over $160K if you work 4 days per week and well over $200K if you work 5 days per week. We do vasectomies, simple derm procedures. That's about it.

dr.smurf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
hey seatledoc...how do you get certified or proficient in say vasectomies?....its hard for me...b/c my residency is catholic based...so it sux..we cant do them in our clinic.

seattledoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
seattle
Status (Visible)
I would look around your medical neighborhood and find a doc (urology or FP) that does vasectomies and schedule some time with them. I only did about a dozen during my training but was fortunate to have a colleague at my first post-residency job that helped me along with the first few.

But definitely look around, you'll find someone that will teach you.

dr_almondjoy_do

So Very Happy to Be Here!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 10, 2003
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi,

I'm in New York and wanted to know if any FP's do OB. This is a crisis state for OB and I was wondering how that worked, and just how does one get into that?

oldandtired

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2002
chicago
Status (Visible)
If you are so concerned about money, why not go into a field that lets you make more with less effort? I mean you will put in long hours in most fields, why not do something that gives you the most on your investment?

ahaynes

15+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2003
Status (Visible)
maybe because people are realizing you can make alot more $$ than most think doing FP without the rediculous hours and lifestyle of other specialties.

oldandtired

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2002
chicago
Status (Visible)
How can a traditional FP practitioner have a good lifestyle? Office hours all day. Hospital rounds. Occasional emergency delivery.. etc. Patients calling all night when you are on call.

FPs make little for the amount of time they put in. All the uncompenated phone calls, prolonged office visits, trips to the hospital, etc.

C

Chronotropic

Originally posted by emedpa
YES, especially if you do procedures like vasectomies, flexsigs, biopsies, etc which are very billable.

Will these procedures be covered in malpractice?

dr.smurf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
yes xcept OB. Ob requires an additional sub-policy. it varies from location to location. most people say if you deliver atleast 4 babies a month its worth it...as far as paying for your additional malpract and actually seeing some revenue from delivering. but, most places if your doing OB as an FP they will paying for your malpract anyhow.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.