1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

FP Salary Thread

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by LuckyCharms83, Dec 21, 2008.

1. LuckyCharms83

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So when I google FP salaries the general averages I have seen are in the $150K. However, we all know averages can be inflated depending on the region and what type of practice. So I was hoping to get a better idea on the range of salaries by having people post their salaries on this thread.

So if you could just submit your salary, what type of practice you have (rural, urban, private, group), region you are practicing in, and any other pertinent info (such as doing OB, special procedures, qualifications, etc.) I think that would be really helpful for everyone on this forum. Or, if you are still a resident/ med student but know others' info that might help too. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ghost dog

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi,

This tax year: $ 335,000 (Canadian) before taxes and after clinic expenses. I run my own solo practice clinic.

I am a Canadian family physician and perform a fair amount of interventional pain medicine.

GD.

Oh, and I work 25 hours / week (swimming pools, movie stars baby). No call. Definitely no ****ing call.

I'm my own boss, nobody to answer to - except maybe my secretary !

#2 ghost dog, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. andwhat

andwhat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hospitalist salaries are generally above $200 K with bonuses and incentives. The straight salary, is around $190 K. Some that do up to 36 hour shifts make half a Mil. That is not that bad at all starting out in your first job. That is excellent actually.

5. medicienne

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Regarding FM Hospitalist Track:

Isn't it very region-specific though? I asked this question during my residency interviews and found that only a few places have had graduates go into Hospitalist track.
    I am not sure if it was something due to regional politics or just a deviation of career track by their graduates. Also, do FM hospitalists practice "full-spectrum" or just do adult medicine?

Please share your thought about this.

6. Joe Richards

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi. Happy Holidays.

You can practice as a hospitalist after an FM residency. you don't have to do a fellowship or anything else.

some programs have hospitalist tracks.

If you want to get more exposure (maybe your residency is heavy on outpatient) then you may want to do a one year fellowship.

I believe it is mostly adult medicine. Not entirely sure.

My guess would be that most pediatricians would want to keep that to themselves.

7. Doctor Grim

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It really depends on what region you're in. I'm in a metro area and it is very hard for FM trained physicians to work as a hospitalists. And I have absolutely no desire to live or work in the suburbs or rural areas.

For one, the Veterans Affairs Systems will not allow FM trained MDs to do any inpatients here. I know this because I have the inpatient responsibility taken off my contract with the medical school because the VA won't allow it.

In the community hospitals, you can only admit and treat your own patients from your practice if you have that previledge. Otherwise everyone gets admitted to the hospitalists who are IM trained.

Just my 0.02. G

8. andwhat

andwhat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Adult Medicine only typically -- and you are totally right, there are politics at certain places, this will get better with time though -- with the significant primary care shortage. Hospitalists will be more than welcome from IM and FM everywhere..... but not everywhere right now at this very moment, because it is assumed that majority of IM training is In-patient, as opposed to FM training, which is predominantly Outpatient. This will change.
    Adult Medicine only, however I am sure that if you look hard enough, there could be opportunity for Peds - Hospitalist positions for FM trained docs -- who are trained in a little of pretty much everything...

9. DrJosephKim

DrJosephKim Advisor
    Physician SDN Advisor 7+ Year Member

It depends on your region and your patient volume. Are you willing to work countless hours?