FPGEE/FPGEC Certification for a Canadian graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drx604

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am researching a move to the United States (hopefully California someday). I graduated from the UBC pharmacy program in 2000 and have been practicing in community/retail for almost 9 years.

I am a little confused about the whole FPGEC certificaton process. It seems that Canada is a 'foreign' country ... (I live approximately 20minutes from the US-Canada border and pretty much travel to the US twice a month). So does this mean I must write this FPGEE and TOEFL exam and such? According to the NABP website It seems that I do....

I did find this one blurb on this site http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm
(bureau of labor statistics)

Graduates of foreign pharmacy schools may also qualify for licensure in some U.S. States and territories. These individuals must apply for certification from the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC). Once certified, they must pass the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination (FPGEE), Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam, and Test of Spoken English (TSE) exam. They then must pass all of the exams required by the licensing jurisdiction, such as the NAPLEX and MJPE. Applicants who graduated from programs accredited by the Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs (CCAPP) between 1993 and 2004 are exempt from FPGEC certification and examination requirements.

So based on the above... am I exempt? UBC is a CCAPP school and i did graduatete in 2000..... do I go straight to the NAPLEX/MSJE and internship? I couldn't find the exact answer on the NABP website.

I am in the very preliminary stages of planning my move to the United States so I am trying to work on a to-do list for now.

Any input/comments will help.

Thanks in advance

(also... if anyone has any valuable info/links to share regarding work ViSAs, immigration, recruitment, anything in general.. please let me know)

Members don't see this ad.

heyah!

You do need to take the FPGEE for most if not all American states. This exam gives you the certificate (FPGEC), at which point you can apply for an internship with a preceptor to supervise you.
I believe that Washington State and Michigan? do not require you to take one of the exams (not sure if its FPGEE or NAPLEX), but do check on the Washington Pharmacy board's website.
I myself am from Vancouver too but couldn't get into UBC after 3 interviews/attempts, so took off to the UK. Good news is I'm nearly done!
Good luck!

PS You have a degree, and if you apply and find an employer in the states, all you need to do is go to the border with proof of both, and apply for a TN visa, which is the NAFTA visa that allows you to work in the US. It should be approved quickly on the spot!

i was hoping to bypass the FPGEE as its like $800 and only offered twice a year.. i graduated back in 2000 so i'm not so keen into studying all over again... trust me you forget alot of stuff in 9 years.

looks like I'll have to get my education and degree credentials certified first then register for the FPGEE in October. I wonder how hard this exam might be.... time to buy some study guides.

FPGEE > NAPLEX > MSJE/CPJE + internship... looks like at least a 16 to 24 month process . I could bypass the FPGEE and go straight to NAPLEX and MSJE in Washington, but my wife is concerned about finding a job for herself (Radiation Therapy)... Washington only requires like 200 or 300 hours of internship or something like that, work there x 1 year (at full wage) then I can move to California and bypass their 1000 hour internship process.

Its funny because I have helped at least 3 foreign trained pharmacist get their Canadian liscences... i figure if they could do it... then should be cake for me (lets just say that there's a vast difference between a Canadian trained vs. a foreign trained pharmacist).

do you have to write the TOEFL and TSE ??? I'm wondering if i should bother wasting money on a studying guide for this? How hard could it be? born and raised in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. TOEFL is waived as you're from an English speaking institute/country.
I think the FPGEE is held more frequently now, as its computerized; but ya I doubt it'd be waived at all. You're gonna have to study all over again!

Nope. TOEFL is waived as you're from an English speaking institute/country.
I think the FPGEE is held more frequently now, as its computerized; but ya I doubt it'd be waived at all. You're gonna have to study all over again!

According to the FPGEC Application Handbook, on page 2... http://www.nabp.net/ftpfiles/bulletins/FPGECAppRegBulletin.pdf it seems that I will we'll have to write the TOEFL

It states.....

"The TOEFL iBT (or TOEFL and TSE) must be completed
by all foreign pharmacy graduates, even those who are
native English speakers. There are no exceptions or waivers
to these requirements."

So it seems that if you didn't graduate in the US you have to take this test

hey there! quick question. If I want to work in Canada, I know that I have to write the PEBC exam, but are there a certain number of intern hours I need to work as well? And could I claim these as hours worked as a tech?

you have to do i believe 300 hours ? It's roughly equivalent to 3 months full time with some stupid assignments.....at least in BC you do.. in will probably be different in every province.