FPPE for a new hospitalist job out of residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buenomd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Is this common practice to go through FPPE (Focused Professional Practice Evaluation) for new grad after residency if there's a gap between completing residency and starting the first job as a hospitalist? I haven't heard of this (FPPE) from other residents who started their hospitalists jobs right after residency in 2019.

What if there's no gap between residency and starting the new job?

Is this only specific to certain hospitals or it's pretty much the same across the board?

Trying to figure out if I'm just lucky to receive this or this is standard and nothing to worry about?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I had that bureaucratic nonsense my first couple months into my job out of residency. It’s a nothingburger

I think I had that bureaucratic nonsense my first couple months into my job out of residency. It’s a nothingburger
Thank you for your reply! So in your experience it was required from everyone and didn't matter if someone had any gap from completing residency to starting the job?

Also curious to know, if it's requires from experienced providers who start new at a place but may have multiple years of experience..

Thanks again for your reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
It tends to be required of newer docs as a matter of course. It can also be obtained on anyone if there are questions/concerns about their practice.

For you, at this point in your career, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it happens again in 2, 5, 10 years, that's something you should be concerned about.

Hi folks,
Is this common practice to go through FPPE (Focused Professional Practice Evaluation) for new grad after residency if there's a gap between completing residency and starting the first job as a hospitalist? I haven't heard of this (FPPE) from other residents who started their hospitalists jobs right after residency in 2019.

What if there's no gap between residency and starting the new job?

Is this only specific to certain hospitals or it's pretty much the same across the board?

Trying to figure out if I'm just lucky to receive this or this is standard and nothing to worry about?

Thank you for your help!
I believe it got stirred up by CMS ~5-10 years back. They changed some rules and now every hospital essentially has to do it. As a Psychiatrist I've picked up privileges at several, and different types of hospitals over the years and they have all had some variant of it, where the medical director needs fill out some standardized forms. There is potential that they are repeated with each re-credential cycle whether it is 1, 2, or 3 year cycle with the hospital. It's not you... its the system now.

The real tricky thing comes if you have skills in a procedure that others don't, or if the credentialing committee feels it deserves its own check box on the privileges form separate from the standard description... have fun with that bureaucracy.