• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Jan 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
This little blurb ran in my local paper yesterday. The staff got a kick out of it, and I have no doubt I'll hear about it from some of my patients.

Whaddayaknow?

Regional mysteries solved, one column at a time

Q: What's the highest-paying occupation in ______________?

A: With a median income of $59.23 an hour, family and general practitioners are the highest-paid, according to the Virginia Employment Commission. Second-highest are psychiatrists, with a median income of $57.84 an hour. They are followed by surgeons at $53.28, lawyers at $48.87 and air traffic controllers at $47.32. At the bottom of the list are personal care and service workers, who have a median hourly income of $7.93.

I'd like to see their data. When I do the math, my hourly wage is way higher than that. ;)

LanceArmstrong

Level X Elite User
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Surgeons make $53 per hour? Based on what? Working 169 hours per week?

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Generally... surgeons..3 years into practice..

210-230k a year. (at least in my region).

They generally take call 1 per 4 days.

They are generally there are 7:00 am... (Surgeries do start at 8 am, clinics at 9 but usually they got things to do in the office before that.)

They generally leave at 6:00 pm. (even clinic days).

So I would say their average work hours per week is around 65 per week..
4 weeks vacation...

Comes out to be 67-70 per hour.

The grass is not always greener... but 50s is definitely too low for them... unless they work more hours than I have accounted for.

About the Ads

lateness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2005
West of East
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Generally... surgeons..3 years into practice..

210-230k a year. (at least in my region).

They generally take call 1 per 4 days.

They are generally there are 7:00 am... (Surgeries do start at 8 am, clinics at 9 but usually they got things to do in the office before that.)

They generally leave at 6:00 pm. (even clinic days).

So I would say their average work hours per week is around 65 per week..
4 weeks vacation...

Comes out to be 67-70 per hour.
The grass is not always greener... but 50s is definitely too low for them... unless they work more hours than I have accounted for.

a friend of mine just got hired, at 220k as a cardiovascular surgeon in northeast.... :eek: :eek:

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I dont know what to say... truly...

A cardiovascular making 230k... sad. Truly... cause yes that does translate to 70 dollars per hour and yes that a pharmacists taking overtime will get paid the same as his rate when the surgeon has had 7 years of training more than the regular Pharm D or someone with a PhD in accounting or something similar....

If you are a cardiovascular surgeon.... and in a not to populated area... rural area... cant you demand patients pay you upfront without insurance? Shouldnt you be able to dictate your own pay... i mean there aren't that many cardiovascular surgeons around..

I donno... just all this doesnt seem right.

xviii

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
I recently received a postcard from a new hospital offering $190K in potential income. If I wasn't addicted to water, I would consider applying for the job.

marshmallows

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
This little blurb ran in my local paper yesterday. The staff got a kick out of it, and I have no doubt I'll hear about it from some of my patients.

I'd like to see their data. When I do the math, my hourly wage is way higher than that. ;)

thats cool either way.. :D

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.