FPs the highest-paid...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted87716

This little blurb ran in my local paper yesterday. The staff got a kick out of it, and I have no doubt I'll hear about it from some of my patients.

Whaddayaknow?

Regional mysteries solved, one column at a time

Q: What's the highest-paying occupation in ______________?

A: With a median income of $59.23 an hour, family and general practitioners are the highest-paid, according to the Virginia Employment Commission. Second-highest are psychiatrists, with a median income of $57.84 an hour. They are followed by surgeons at $53.28, lawyers at $48.87 and air traffic controllers at $47.32. At the bottom of the list are personal care and service workers, who have a median hourly income of $7.93.

I'd like to see their data. When I do the math, my hourly wage is way higher than that. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Surgeons make $53 per hour? Based on what? Working 169 hours per week?

Generally... surgeons..3 years into practice..

210-230k a year. (at least in my region).

They generally take call 1 per 4 days.

They are generally there are 7:00 am... (Surgeries do start at 8 am, clinics at 9 but usually they got things to do in the office before that.)

They generally leave at 6:00 pm. (even clinic days).

So I would say their average work hours per week is around 65 per week..
4 weeks vacation...

Comes out to be 67-70 per hour.

The grass is not always greener... but 50s is definitely too low for them... unless they work more hours than I have accounted for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally... surgeons..3 years into practice..

210-230k a year. (at least in my region).

They generally take call 1 per 4 days.

They are generally there are 7:00 am... (Surgeries do start at 8 am, clinics at 9 but usually they got things to do in the office before that.)

They generally leave at 6:00 pm. (even clinic days).

So I would say their average work hours per week is around 65 per week..
4 weeks vacation...

Comes out to be 67-70 per hour.
The grass is not always greener... but 50s is definitely too low for them... unless they work more hours than I have accounted for.

a friend of mine just got hired, at 220k as a cardiovascular surgeon in northeast.... :eek: :eek:

I dont know what to say... truly...

A cardiovascular making 230k... sad. Truly... cause yes that does translate to 70 dollars per hour and yes that a pharmacists taking overtime will get paid the same as his rate when the surgeon has had 7 years of training more than the regular Pharm D or someone with a PhD in accounting or something similar....

If you are a cardiovascular surgeon.... and in a not to populated area... rural area... cant you demand patients pay you upfront without insurance? Shouldnt you be able to dictate your own pay... i mean there aren't that many cardiovascular surgeons around..

I donno... just all this doesnt seem right.

I recently received a postcard from a new hospital offering $190K in potential income. If I wasn't addicted to water, I would consider applying for the job.

This little blurb ran in my local paper yesterday. The staff got a kick out of it, and I have no doubt I'll hear about it from some of my patients.

I'd like to see their data. When I do the math, my hourly wage is way higher than that. ;)

thats cool either way.. :D

Thats great news!