Frank H. Netter Quinnipiac v. NYMC (w/ 80K scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfdez1999

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I wanted to hear SDN's thoughts on my current situation. I was accepted to Frank H. Netter SOM back in February and subsequently waitlisted everywhere else. I've spent the past few months mentally fortifying myself that this was where I was going to learn medicine (Last night I actually stayed up till 5 AM looking at furniture for an apartment over there!) However, this morning I received an acceptance from NYMC! While I'm ecstatic to have another choice that I can look at I really don't know which school is right for me.

Housing/Support Network/Location
Both are about an equal distance away from my family in Florida. I'm impartial about housing though I do already have an apartment lined up in Quinnipiac.

Tuition
NYMC has offered me their Student Tuition Scholarship to a total of 80K over 4 years. I haven't tried contacting Frank H. Netter SOM for a counter offer yet and tbh I don't even know how to...

Match/Specialties
I'm really interested in pursuing Neurology or Neurosurgery as a specialty. I know those can be competitive and its part of the reason why I'm so indecisive over the two. I can't tell which school matches better and is overall better equipped to prepare me for a competitive specialty. I think overall, the ability to match into my desired specialty is one of the most important components of my choice. Given that Step 1 is also going P/F, I'm not sure if reputation or name matters either. Netter really tried to paint themselves as underdogs during the second look day, but NYMC is over a century old.

Facilities
I have not had a chance to see NYMC's facilities, though I did attend Netter's second look day where I saw how immaculately pristine their teaching and lab facilities are. I've only had a chance to look at NYMC through Google Maps/Images/ their website. I'm not sure I can gauge their quality. For example, during second look day at Netter, they went very in-depth about the anatomy lab's interwoven teaching segment with the lecture hall. I have no equivalent frame of reference for NYMC : /

What do you guys think? Am I missing something really obvious that should make this choice easier? Thanks for taking the time to read this and any wisdom you're willing to share!

Members don't see this ad.

New York medical College 100%! I believe both schools match a number of students in neuro/neurosurgery, but double check. I’ve visited both campuses. Netter has the better campus in my opinion and slightly cheaper housing than New York medical College. However, it’s not enough to offset that scholarship you received. That is the big differentiating factor. Also, I would argue that New York medical College has better clinical affiliates affiliates than Netter. Westchester Medical Center is literally next to New York medical College and they have a wide array of patients. Not to mention other affiliates in the NYC area. Netter’s affiliates are in Bridgeport and Hartford (St. V’s and St. Francis). You’ll have to drive more for rotations at Netter, and traffic can suck in that area. If there’s any chance you wanna do Neuro in pediatric patients, then that’s another reason to go with New York medical College because they see more pediatric patients at their affiliates than you would at Netter.

New York medical College 100%! I believe both schools match a number of students in neuro/neurosurgery, but double check. I’ve visited both campuses. Netter has the better campus in my opinion and slightly cheaper housing than New York medical College. However, it’s not enough to offset that scholarship you received. That is the big differentiating factor. Also, I would argue that New York medical College has better clinical affiliates affiliates than Netter. Westchester Medical Center is literally next to New York medical College and they have a wide array of patients. Not to mention other affiliates in the NYC area. Netter’s affiliates are in Bridgeport and Hartford (St. V’s and St. Francis). You’ll have to drive more for rotations at Netter, and traffic can suck in that area. If there’s any chance you wanna do Neuro in pediatric patients, then that’s another reason to go with New York medical College because they see more pediatric patients at their affiliates than you would at Netter.

Thanks for the fast response!

I'm not entirely sure about match numbers for Netter, I think I only saw 1 match in 2018 for neurosurgery. But I did see NYMC matching quite a few just last year even.

How are the facilities and research opportunities in NYMC? I'm sure I'll need plenty of research to compete for neurosurgery as a specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neurosurgery will be tough from both and you would want to start research right away.

I would go NYMC just because they’ve been around longer and it’s better financially. However, keep in mind that a lot of researchers left NYMC after the hospital was purchased by Touro per @Goro

Some more info!

I've just been counter-offered a 120K scholarship by Netter! At the same time I've also learned that NYMC has an MD/PhD program that you can apply to after you're an accepted Med Student. I can't really find much criteria other than good academic standing on their website though....
Neurosurgery will be tough from both and you would want to start research right away.

I would go NYMC just because they’ve been around longer and it’s better financially. However, keep in mind that a lot of researchers left NYMC after the hospital was purchased by Touro per @Goro

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone!

So recently, I was accepted to NYMC. It's a great deal too because they're offering me an 80K scholarship. I'm currently trying to decide on whether I should matriculate there or somewhere else and I have about a week. The problem is that NYMC's scholarship offer also comes at the cost of 'commit to enroll.'

Specifically in their email, they outline the following:

"At this time of the cycle, you will have 1 week to accept this scholarship. By choosing to accept this scholarship, you are also committing to enroll to NYMC and should indicate this using the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) portal, along with withdrawing all other acceptances and wait lists. If you do not accept this offer and commit to enroll within 1 week the scholarship offer will be rescinded."

This looks worrying to me because if I accept NYMC during this stage of decisions, I'm withdrawing applications for my two other remaining schools that I'm waitlisted at. The schools I'm waiting on are USF Morsani and Boston University. For reference, I've got a 3.52 GPA, 518 MCAT, and I'm going in with about 2.5 years of neuroscience research (including an extra summer research internship at BU) and a year of clinical scribework. I'm also shooting for a neurosurgery specialty on Match Day so I really want these neuro-heavy schools.

I know a bird in the hand is worth two in the Bush (quite literally this time), but what do you guys think? I've been offered other scholarships before and they didn't ask for commit to enroll. The only thing I could think of is if BU or USF were to accept me during this week I could work on making a choice. Otherwise, I'm just working with NYMC and Frank H. Netter like I mentioned in another post.

Seeing that the time for waitlist movement is dwindling day by day, I wouldn’t risk that opportunity on the off chance you get pulled from the list. The odds are against you to be one of the chosen ones, so you’d be playing a dangerous game. What I would do is 1) call both admissions offices and explain your situation; ask how realistic it is that you get pulled from the list and 2) wait until the very last day to accept the scholarship before giving up hope on the other two and opting to be appreciative for the offer you have.

Best of luck and congrats on the scholly!

Last edited:
Seeing that the time for waitlist movement is dwindling day by day, I wouldn’t risk that opportunity on the off chance you get pulled from the list. The odds are against you to be one of the chosen ones, so you’d be playing a dangerous game. What I would do is 1) call both admissions offices and explain your situation; ask if how realistic it is that you get pulled from the list and 2) wait u til the very last day to accept the scholarship before giving up hope on the other two and being appreciative for the offer you have.

Best of luck and congrats on the scholly!
I considered contacting the adcoms but I'm not even sure how to explain that situation. Like... "Hey, I got accepted to another school and they have a deadline to CTE, how likely is it that you'll accept me within the next week?"

Thanks for the congrats! I'm super excited by the offer!

Threads merged.

The thread below from REL may apply to you if the CTE was bumped up for scholarship recipients only:

I considered contacting the adcoms but I'm not even sure how to explain that situation. Like... "Hey, I got accepted to another school and they have a deadline to CTE, how likely is it that you'll accept me within the next week?"

Thanks for the congrats! I'm super excited by the offer!
I think you literally just say exactly what you told us here. You have a large scholarship offer that requires you to commit by X date. Tell them they are your top choice and you wanted to know if they could give you any information about the waitlist and how likely it is that you get off of it. You just don’t want to pass on the opportunity if getting your preferred option is a long shot. I’m sure they’d understand AND that you’re not the first or second person to reach out with such a question.

Some places will be straightforward and say we’re basically full and it’s not looking hopeful for waitlisters, take the scholarship. Some might say sorry we don’t really have an answer your you. Worth asking if they can provide any clarity at all and it can only help you rather than hurt you, since you’re expressing a high level of interest in their program.

Just my two cents, hope it helps! Update us on what the result it, I’m curious!

Threads merged.

The thread below from REL may apply to you if the CTE was bumped up for scholarship recipients only:

Thank you for merging, I'm still kinda new to SDN. The thread was very informative and even NYMC got namedropped for. That said I don't think there's much of a solution but to just deal with it. I contacted BUSM who notified me that there has been no waitlist movement but to try emailing them anyway. I doubt much will happen but we'll see.

Will provide update on what I do regardless!

Thank you for merging, I'm still kinda new to SDN. The thread was very informative and even NYMC got namedropped for. That said I don't think there's much of a solution but to just deal with it. I contacted BUSM who notified me that there has been no waitlist movement but to try emailing them anyway. I doubt much will happen but we'll see.

Will provide update on what I do regardless!
I personally know 2 people who just withdrew from BU, while obviously 2 people withdrawing is absolutely no guarantee that the WL will move, and that you'd be the first person they call- could you wait out until maybe next week? I'm not sure when the deadline NYMC gave you is but I think this week was when the first round of people who got acceptances of WL (everywhere) had to narrow things back down to one. So there might be slight movement next week?

Keep in mind that BU will almost certainly not offer a scholarship and it’s one of the most expensive schools. Not sure if it would be worth 100k+ more than these two schools. Surgical match list doesn’t indicate that BU would help you much for neurosurgery either

I personally know 2 people who just withdrew from BU, while obviously 2 people withdrawing is absolutely no guarantee that the WL will move, and that you'd be the first person they call- could you wait out until maybe next week? I'm not sure when the deadline NYMC gave you is but I think this week was when the first round of people who got acceptances of WL (everywhere) had to narrow things back down to one. So there might be slight movement next week?
They gave me a deadline for 1 week from the offer which was on 5/16. So I'm going to have to produce a response on 5/23. I'm going to wait things out until Monday but (as bittersweet as it sounds) it's looking like I should go apartment shopping in New York.

Keep in mind that BU will almost certainly not offer a scholarship and it’s one of the most expensive schools. Not sure if it would be worth 100k+ more than these two schools. Surgical match list doesn’t indicate that BU would help you much for neurosurgery either
I've worked with their neuro department which is why I liked it so much. My goal is to apply as an M1 for their MD/PhD program which in all honesty is a stretch. Nevertheless, you make a very good point about their match list. I'm going to just wait and see what happens with BU, either way I'm going to become a doctor :)

Something to note. USF and BU did not match anyone in neurosurgery this year. USF matched one person last year; BU matched two 2 years ago. NYMC matched 2 in 2021 and 5 in 2020; no results on 2022. I don’t see any for Netter, though they only provide results for 2022 and 2021.

Hey everyone, I wanted to bring a conclusion to this thread in case future students read up on what I did. Given that I really want to go for research, I just feel like I couldn't pass up the possibility of an MD/PHD program at NYMC. Moreover, the fact that they were willing to partially match the Quinnipiac Scholarship to a total of 100K just further sweetened the pot. I'm currently finishing up everything for pre-matriculation to NYMC. I even had a chance to go tour where I'll be staying and I got to see the Medical Campus. Its very nice and the facilities are brand new. While it was an incredibly difficult choice (the faculty at Quinnipiac are extremely great people), I feel like I've made the right choice given my career aspirations. I wish you all the best!

Reactions: 3 users
Something to note. USF and BU did not match anyone in neurosurgery this year. USF matched one person last year; BU matched two 2 years ago. NYMC matched 2 in 2021 and 5 in 2020; no results on 2022. I don’t see any for Netter, though they only provide results for 2022 and 2021.

Couldn’t this also mean no one in those years wanted to go into neurosurgery?

Couldn’t this also mean no one in those years wanted to go into neurosurgery?
Yes, you're right! Though one of the reasons I ended up siding with NYMC was because of its consistently larger neurosurgery pool. Sure I'll have more competition (if we could even say that given that we're already competing on a national scale), but it also means I'd be going to a place with faculty and facility who have already sent multiple people to the programs I want to go to. Sample sizes be damned, NYMC was the clearer choice there.