frankny: practice MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been preparing for the august MCAT for 3 months. I have also taken the practice tests from AAMC. My question is, how accurate a predictor of actual scores are these practice tests? Should I take the results with a grain of salt?
thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

My experience is the tests do vary, and it is amost impossible to predict your writing score.
If you take quite a few of the tests, the average should be a ball-park figure predictor of your actual results... you know, all of that statistics junk... sampling error, etc... Simulating test conditions will help with the reliability of the results also.

Why... are you doing ok on the practice tests?

from frankny

thanks, Dr Henderson. This is is one of the best sites out there. Keep up the good work!
I have taken 3 practice mcats and have scored in the 25-30 range, with my weakest being the PS 7-9. I also took the real thing today, and
the practice items were very similar. Lots of orgo. NMR,IR, mechanisms. I was not surprised by anything in the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you feel that 3 months was enough time to prepre? How many hours per day/week did you spend studying? I am studying now for the April MCAT about an hour a day.

Tanya, I stareted studying in mid-January for the April '99 MCAT for about 2-3 hours/night, 4-5 nights/week. I scored a 31 (12,10,N,9), not off the charts but respectable. I also highly recommend taking as many practice MCATs as possible, since the one practice test I took was very similar to the actual exam. As for the writing, I didn't really prepare (as reflected by my score), so I'd suggest writing up statements on a few of the topics listed on the AAMC website. Anyway, that was my MCAT experience; hopefully I won't have to retake it
smile.gif
! Good luck to you!

Thanks for the information Rufus. I've neglected preparing for the writing sample. I will add that to my study schedule.

Reactions: 1 user
Writing section was never valued and now they got rid of it..yall missed out

Writing section was never valued and now they got rid of it..yall missed out

I think at some point someone is going to lose patience with you bumping threads from 1999. This solves the mystery from the other thread though, in the late 90s everyone was named Jim Henderson.

Reactions: 3 users
I think at some point someone is going to lose patience with you bumping threads from 1999. This solves the mystery from the other thread though, in the late 90s everyone was named Jim Henderson.
As long as the serial killer doesn't lose patience I'm good..

Why would you reply to something from 15 years ago???!??? Why were you even looking at a thread from 15 years ago?

Why would you reply to something from 15 years ago???!??? Why were you even looking at a thread from 15 years ago?
Cause no one replied to Henderson so I thought someone should! Shoot me for being thoughtful