Frat Guy/Professional Wants to Know His Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBossDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I kind of wanted to have an idea of where I was.

I go to a top 30 school (its a public school), and I'm graduating this month. sGPA is 3.73 and cGPA is 3.69. There was an upward trend from freshman to junior year, but I've plateaued/gone slightly downhill lately due to laziness with class work.

For the MCAT, I got 11 BS, 13 PS, 9 V (33 overall). I consider it to be a good score although the verbal concerns be a bit.

***I'm a GEORGIA RESIDENT

As for extracurriculars

Clinical Experience:
- Have been volunteering at a free clinic since this past August; 3 hours per week (~125 hours total); lot of patient interaction; we get to take their vital signs and record their complaints/symptoms
- Volunteered as a care extender in the hospital from May 2011 to February 2012; 4 hours per week (~100 hours total); lot of clerical stuff and answering phones involved, but there is still some patient contact since we go around and talk to patients, see if they need anything, etc. I didn't get as much out of this as my free clinic gig; also, I did leave during the middle of the program (didn't complete the full year)
- Shadowed a neurosurgeon for 15 hours and general surgeon for 20 hours (both in the OR and in clinic); definitely got something out of it
- Went on a medical mission trip to Panama; we took their histories and assessed their conditions; measured their vital signs as well; proposed possible diagnoses to actual doctors; this was only for 1 week though (~50 hours)

Research:
-Been working in an interventional neuroradiology lab since August 2011; this is clinical research, not bench research; putting in around 5 hours per week; led a couple of my own projects; my abstract got published in the Stroke Journal (supposed to be one of the best), and I presented a research poster for my project at the International Stroke Conference (sponsored by the American Heart Association)

Non-Medical Volunteering:
-Circle K International- very involved in this during my junior and senior years; ~400 community service hours and ~1000 administrative/social hours put into this; also held a LEADERSHIP POSITION as an officer for a year
-Habitat for Humanity- went on a Spring Break trip where we built houses in New Orleans; ~50 hours total

Tutoring:
-Been working as a tutor at a tutoring center; most of the students there are underserved/disadvantaged

Miscellaneous Activities:
-Been a part of a fraternity since the beginning of my sophomore year; was the scholastic chair for a year; been putting in ~400 hours per year, although most of it is social; I imagine it would help with well-roundedness
-Had a job freshman year at the campus cafe
-Been participating in a culture club and club tennis (moderate level of involvement)
-Participated in a study abroad program in Europe through my school; 5 weeks long; definitely a lot of fun, and I can say that I got a lot out of it; program was about European history
-Hobbies- been playing chess and tennis for 10+ years now; I joined club tennis here at my school; we didn't really have a chess club or anything like that

Other:
-I'm an average writer; I'd say my personal statement is good; kind of unique but still generic at times; I do thoroughly explain why I want to go into medicine and why I'm qualified to be a doctor (as most of my essay proofreaders have said)
-Worried about LORs since I don't know my professors that well; I'm still trying to find 2 more professors that will even write me a LOR (let alone a STRONG LOR); my research letter will be good though; considering getting a letter from my volunteer/clinical activities
-I'm OK at interviewing; I do plan on preparing and practicing though so hopefully that improves
-Gonna submit my AMCAS within the next week; is that early?
-I'm Asian (so is that disadvantageous?)

So yea, I just wanted to see where I stand, etc, and I want to get an idea of whether or not I can apply to top 40 schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

I go to a top 30 school (its a public school), and I'm graduating this month. sGPA is 3.73 and cGPA is 3.69. There was an upward trend from freshman to junior year, but I've plateaued/gone slightly downhill lately due to laziness with class work.

For the MCAT, I got 11 BS, 13 PS, 9 V (33 overall). I consider it to be a good score although the verbal concerns be a bit.

As for extracurriculars

Clinical Experience:
- Have been volunteering at a free clinic since this past August; 3 hours per week (~125 hours total); lot of patient interaction; we get to take their vital signs and record their complaints/symptoms
- Volunteered as a care extender in the hospital from May 2011 to February 2012; 4 hours per week (~100 hours total); lot of clerical stuff and answering phones involved, but there is still some patient contact since we go around and talk to patients, see if they need anything, etc. I didn't get as much out of this as my free clinic gig; also, I did leave during the middle of the program (didn't complete the full year)
- Shadowed a neurosurgeon for 15 hours and general surgeon for 20 hours (both in the OR and in clinic); definitely got something out of it
- Went on a medical mission trip to Panama; we took their histories and assessed their conditions; measured their vital signs as well; proposed possible diagnoses to actual doctors; this was only for 1 week though (~50 hours)

Research:
-Been working in an interventional neuroradiology lab since August 2011; this is clinical research, not bench research; putting in around 5 hours per week; led a couple of my own projects; my abstract got published in the Stroke Journal (supposed to be one of the best), and I presented a research poster for my project at the International Stroke Conference (sponsored by the American Heart Association)

-Circle K International- very involved in this during my junior and senior years; ~400 community service hours and ~1000 administrative/social hours put into this; also held a LEADERSHIP POSITION as an officer for a year
-Habitat for Humanity- went on a Spring Break trip where we built houses in New Orleans; ~50 hours total

Tutoring:
-Been working as a tutor at a tutoring center; most of the students there are underserved/disadvantaged

-Been a part of a fraternity since the beginning of my sophomore year; was the scholastic chair for a year; been putting in ~400 hours per year, although most of it is social; I imagine it would help with well-roundedness
-Been participating in a culture club and club tennis (moderate level of involvement)
-Participated in a study abroad program in Europe through my school; 5 weeks long; definitely a lot of fun, and I can say that I got a lot out of it; program was about European history
-Hobbies- been playing chess and tennis for 10+ years now; I joined club tennis here at my school; we didn't really have a chess club or anything like that

Other:
-I'm an average writer; I'd say my personal statement is good; kind of unique but still generic at times; I do thoroughly explain why I want to go into medicine and why I'm qualified to be a doctor (as most of my essay proofreaders have said)
-Worried about LORs since I don't know my professors that well; I'm still trying to find 2 more professors that will even write me a LOR (let alone a STRONG LOR); my research letter will be good though; considering getting a letter from my volunteer/clinical activities
-I'm OK at interviewing; I do plan on preparing and practicing though so hopefully that improves

So yea, I just wanted to see where I stand, etc, and I want to get an idea of whether or not I can apply to top 40 schools.

You can apply anywhere you want. Whether you get an interview or get in is a different story.

I don't know what you mean by a top 40. We all probably have.different illusions of what that means. If you post the list you are considering appying to or just name a few you're interested in that would be good.

Your grades are ok, mcat good and ecs very good!

With lors I went to a large state school and struggled to get two science letters. One of my letter writers I didn't know that well but he really liked me and was really familiar with Med school admissions and wrote me a really strong letter. I would seek professors who fit that criteria like you and know what this process is like. And get them soon Cuzco you don't want them to hold you up!

Last edited:
The Ivies and Styanford might sneer att he imbalanced mCAT, but I'd say you're rock solid anywhere else. So, aim high. Start with Emory.

As for extracurriculars

Clinical Experience:

Research:

Tutoring:

Other:

Members don't see this ad :)
1. As far as the top 40 I'm not quite sure either. I'm trying to get a sense of where I stand (I want to get an objective/unbiased opinion), and I want to use that to sort of create my list of schools.

2. Yea I was worried about the uneven scores. I'm happy with my PS and BS scores, but the Verbal score (9) is a little concerning. I looked at MSAR and that puts me in the 10th percentile for a decent number of schools...not very comforting.