FRC in Pulm questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleerkalut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay at the risk of sounding like a complete dunce...I can't remember FRC for the life of me when I'm doing UW questions or when this shows up elsewhere.

Basically, can someone just help explain this to me. I read it in text but test day is here and everything just glosses over. Hoping somebody would be willing to step in and explain it in a basic way to help me with my exam.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay at the risk of sounding like a complete dunce...I can't remember FRC for the life of me when I'm doing UW questions or when this shows up elsewhere.

Basically, can someone just help explain this to me. I read it in text but test day is here and everything just glosses over. Hoping somebody would be willing to step in and explain it in a basic way to help me with my exam.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Its the amount of lung volume you have left over after a normal breath after exhaling tidal volume. FRC= Residual volume + expiratory reserve volume. You don't normally exhale to the max when you breath so you have expiratory reserve volume left in addition to the residual volume which you cannot exhale in normal conditions.

Its the amount of lung volume you have left over after a normal breath after exhaling tidal volume. FRC= Residual volume + expiratory reserve volume. You don't normally exhale to the max when you breath so you have expiratory reserve volume left in addition to the residual volume which you cannot exhale in normal conditions.

Thanks. Would somebody care to comment on how different disease states affect this (pulmonary fibrosis, obesity hypoventilation, COPD, chronic bronchitis)? Thanks again.

Thanks. Would somebody care to comment on how different disease states affect this (pulmonary fibrosis, obesity hypoventilation, COPD, chronic bronchitis)? Thanks again.

Down in restrictive diseases (pulm fibrosis, obesity, etc) as with all volumes because of decreased compliance.

Up in obstructive diseases (COPD, bronchitis, etc) due primarily to increased RV and breathing at higher lung volumes.

Up in hypoventilation because of decreased tidal volume (that decreased in Tidal Volume accrues to FRC).