Freaked out and confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just recently got my mcat scores back... got a 23: 5v 9p and 9b...i took physics and bio and genchem at a community college and took orgo, and molecular genetics at a 4 year school...and plan to take biochem next year... i have a 3.61 cum and about a 3.75 sci gpa...

I really want to go to an osteopathic medschool but do i have a chance? should I take the mcat again cuz of my poor verbal score? i've shadowed a DO, have volunteer experience in a hospital and retirement home...(the usual premed stuff). Im just kinda FREAKED OUT AND CONFUSED because my advisors are idiots and they never give the right advice...Would i be competitive anywhere???? plz be honest. Thanks :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I too thought that my verbal was low. I polished that low score by authoring and co-authoring 2 articles for a science journal on my independent research project. Since you already have acceptable science scores,and have done the right things (shadowing...) I would focus on writing and reading science articles. Most interviews have you read a science article and discuss it during the interview. I hope this helps!

If you are interested in any particular schools, contact their admissions people, tell them your story and see what they tell you. If you have not yet applied then they will probably be glad to advise you. If your app is in, then they won't want to give an appearance of favoritism and may not be willing to give you advice. In the end, there is only one way to find out if you can get in, and that is by filing your app and going for it. If English is not your first language, then be sure to emphasize that in your personal statement. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergraduate college provided me with a list of MCAT scores of students who were accepted to COMP. Out of about 20 people who were accepted to COMP from my undergraduate college, the lowest score i saw was a 5, and only one person had this score (which also happened to be on the verbal section). I'm guessing this person must have had something very unique in his/her background that made him/her stand out strongly from the rest of the applicants. So, in my often fallable opinion, I'm thinking you don't really have much of a shot at acceptance to DO school UNLESS you have extremely powerful and unique life-background experiences to make up for the low verbal score. Also, being a URM might increase your chances a bit, but a 5 is still pretty low no matter which angle you look at it from. Once again, this is just my opinion without any strong evidence, so I would take it with a grain of salt. Good luck!

Anyone get in anywhere with a 23?

I know 2 white guys at TCOM that had 23's (they each told me, I didn't ask). I'm sure that there are others.

tcom's avg is 27...did they do something amazing to get in?

Nope, not that I know of,they are just regular guys. Even if the average is 27, it still means that half the people admitted are below that average. It was somewhat surprising since I know people with higher scores and grades that were dissed by that school. Go figure.