freaked out before the 2008 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.kicia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys if this will sound like another what are my chance thread. But i am trully looking for an honest advice.
As some of you may know i am taking 23 credit hrs this semester while trying to study for the MCAT (i do not recomend this approach, though it IS doable with a huge sacrifice of any free time).
So far i am running an A in every single class i am taking, except for orgo. There is a chance i may get even a C in it (not good:scared: ).
If that happens my Overall GPA will end up as 3.25 and my sci 3.05.
I have registered for two classes during the summer (sign language and gen chem1 retake). If these go well i will bring my gpas to 3.36 and 3.31sci.
I am not a sci major and i have not taken any upper level sci classes so i am not sure if that retake is a good idea or if it would be better to take biochem before applying?
My other question is that obviously i will want my summer classes to be calculated into my GPA. Now should i wait till edn of july to send my apps or should i send them asap in june and then update once the grades are in? How long the update takes?
I am also taking may 31st MCAT and the scores on it are released on june 30th. What score should i aim for (i know 45 but seriously LOL).
Am i being really late considering my low stats?
i will have great LORs from ppl who know me well and the rest of my apps info is here http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7201
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Only you know what your EC activities look like, but score well on the MCAT and if you are well-rounded in other areas I think you definitely have a shot. Good Luck on your MCAT.:thumbup:

Oh and I love the dancing cat!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Only you know what your EC activities look like, but score well on the MCAT and if you are well-rounded in other areas I think you definitely have a shot. Good Luck on your MCAT.:thumbup:

maybe it's the lack of sleep playing tricks on my ability to understand written language...LOL...but can you elaborate on this one?

Your extracurricular activities: shadowing, service oriented projects, research, etc.

bottom line is nail the MCAT. Your GPA is low, but not too low (see my profile). Your ECs are pretty good, as long as you get that DO to write your LOR. Finish the app early, and be ready to send it when you get the scores back. Good luck!

I have heard of polaks with 3.25 gpas getting accepted in the past... :D

As far as the MCAT, seriously, aim for 45. What's the point of aiming for a 30 or 32 or 35? Keep working until test day and get as close to 45 as you can. You'll be fine.

As far as the MCAT, seriously, aim for 45. What's the point of aiming for a 30 or 32 or 35? Keep working until test day and get as close to 45 as you can. You'll be fine.

LMAO!:laugh:

Dr. Kicia, I think mid to upper 20's (maybe 25-28) will be fine. Of course, the better you do on the MCAT, the easier it will be for you to get accepted. I would try to apply as early as possible. I think that is the biggest mistake that people can make; they wait too long to apply. What was your gen chem 1 grade? I don't know about retaking it. I think I would get your application in earlier. Even if you retake it, I think I would submit your application first. There are plenty of non-science majors who go to medical school. Don't worry about that. I think you have a very interesting and unique application. When you write your personal statement, send it to me and I will help you edit it. I think you have an excellent shot at DCOM. I don't know anything about CCOM though, so I can't help you with that. I think you will be fine. Just stay focused and keep up the hard work and it will all work out.:luck: :luck: :love:

I just read through your profile. We would really get along great! We have so much in common. I didn't realize that before. You should definitely come to DCOM and then we can ride horses, paint, and write poetry together!:thumbup:

dont hold your primary application until you get your MCAT score back. (This is assuming you have already taken the MCAT previously.) I'm retaking the MCAT in late july and I'm submitting my primary june 1st. They'll update your MCAT later. It's best to get your application finished and submitted as soon as your grades are in. Good luck on the MCAT I know I'm gonna need an ass load.

dr. mom. .... I will pay you $2,007,000 to read my personal statement.

dr. mom. .... I will pay you $2,007,000 to read my personal statement.

LMAO!!! OK!!! I guess that means I won't need to take out loans to pay for med school.:rolleyes: :laugh: WOOT!!!!

If you seriously have one you would like me to read for you, please send it to me. I have done it for several people here now. I have one I still have to do for someone right now, but other than that I am free. :D

My only advice is to reiterate what someone else already said- get it in early!! Of course, I didn't follow my own advice (though quite honestly applying to med school wasn't even close to the forefront of my brain this past summer due to my wedding and father's heart surgery). But from experience can tell you that I am a competative applicant and applying late absolutely has hurt me.

Members don't see this ad :)
LMAO!:laugh:

Dr. Kicia, I think mid to upper 20's (maybe 25-28) will be fine. Of course, the better you do on the MCAT, the easier it will be for you to get accepted. I would try to apply as early as possible. I think that is the biggest mistake that people can make; they wait too long to apply. What was your gen chem 1 grade? I don't know about retaking it. I think I would get your application in earlier. Even if you retake it, I think I would submit your application first. There are plenty of non-science majors who go to medical school. Don't worry about that. I think you have a very interesting and unique application. When you write your personal statement, send it to me and I will help you edit it. I think you have an excellent shot at DCOM. I don't know anything about CCOM though, so I can't help you with that. I think you will be fine. Just stay focused and keep up the hard work and it will all work out.:luck: :luck: :love:

I just read through your profile. We would really get along great! We have so much in common. I didn't realize that before. You should definitely come to DCOM and then we can ride horses, paint, and write poetry together!:thumbup:

:laugh: :love: Yeah i acctually am looking much more into DCOM lately (i catch myself checking their web and DCOM thread here LOL). I also think that Tennessee would be a great place to study. And hell yeah! We would ride horses and hike all day long (if we have brakes from studying LOL). I used to do it every week back in Poland. I am pretty good in it LOL.
Thank you so much:D for offering to read my PS . I want to start writing my PS as soon as i am done with finals (mid may) maybe even during my spring brake (in two weeks) and i will start filling out the available on line secondaries before i even get them to save time. I will also try have all my LORs(for everyone's knowledge i will have very strong LORs, especially the one from a DO i have been shadowing for 8 months now...he is also a professor at the top research Uni) ready in the interfolio at the end of May. The only thing is that i am taking May 31st MCAT and scores won't be in until june 30th. But i think i send my apps without it (as long as i am scoring in mid to upper 20's on the practice MCAT...i tend to do much better under stress so should be ok...i didn't take a FL yet...no time...eh).
I got a C on my gen chem:( (i hate chemistry in general). I was first going to take biochem instead and forget the retake but then when i saw how much it will fix my gpa i thought it could be a good idea.
Geeeez i am so confuzed about this whole process and it didn't even start yet:scared:

p.s thank you all guys for your advice

:laugh: yeah...with my ESL skills i will never score over 10 on the VR. But i guess aiming high works;)

Sorry guys if this will sound like another what are my chance thread. But i am trully looking for an honest advice.
As some of you may know i am taking 23 credit hrs this semester while trying to study for the MCAT (i do not recomend this approach, though it IS doable with a huge sacrifice of any free time).
So far i am running an A in every single class i am taking, except for orgo. There is a chance i may get even a C in it (not good:scared: ).
I have registered for two classes during the summer (sign language and gen chem1 retake). If these go well i will bring my gpas to 3.36 and 3.31sci.
I am not a sci major and i have not taken any upper level sci classes so i am not sure if that retake is a good idea or if it would be better to take biochem before applying?
My other question is that obviously i will want my summer classes to be calculated into my GPA. Now should i wait till edn of july to send my apps or should i send them asap in june and then update once the grades are in? How long the update takes?
I am also taking may 31st MCAT and the scores on it are released on june 30th. What score should i aim for (i know 45 but seriously LOL).
i will have great LORs from ppl who know me well and the rest of my apps info is here http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7201
Thank you in advance.

Dr.kicia..i'm going to PM u in a few minutes :)

:laugh: look close and you'll see that the sum of money resembles this year. Not entire random!

Don't worry, desperation is kicking in already for some ...

Like I told you before, 27+ and you're golden.

should i retake chem1 or take biochem instead?
so confused:confused:

I don't honestly know. Biochem is supposed to be hard. I never took it. Some people are really good at it though. But, there is always the possibility that it would hurt your GPA. Retaking gen chem can only help it provided you don't stop going to the class or something stupid like that. But, I wouldn't wait until you get the grade back to apply. Therefore, it wouldn't be calculated in your initial GPA. I think some schools may also require biochem. So, like I said, I don't know. My vote is....screw the chem and take a bio elective!:love: :laugh: :luck:

Sorry I can't be of more help. :oops:

I was advised not to retake organic and to take biochem I. I made an A in biochem I. I believe that taking biochem I and doing well on it (making an A) helps prove your point that you can probably handle the med school biochem course.

I missed your link to Mdapplicants. From your profile I'd have to agree with others and say that you have a good shot just do well on the MCAT:D

I was advised not to retake organic and to take biochem I. I made an A in biochem I. I believe that taking biochem I and doing well on it (making an A) helps prove your point that you can probably handle the med school biochem course.

It wasn't organic. It was gen chem. Totally different. You couldn't pay me enough money to retake gen chem!:scared: But, organic, well that's another story...:rolleyes:

It wasn't organic. It was gen chem. Totally different. You couldn't pay me enough money to retake gen chem!:scared: But, organic, well that's another story...:rolleyes:

No, it's not totally different. Both Orgo and Gen Chem are Pre-Reqs, why retake and risk not making an A on the 2nd go-round? Take the upper level and kill it.

Thank you in advance.

I don't want to be pessimistic here, but it sounds like you're setting yourself up for failure. Your GPA is on the low side, so you need to do well on the MCAT. There is no way you can properly study for it while taking 23 units of classes. The MCAT isn't about how well you know the material; it's about how well you know the test. To do well, you need to be able to study for a good 6 hours a day for 3 months. I was trying to do what you are doing (with maybe half as many units) but I realized that I couldn't do both in my classes and on the MCAT. So (against everybody's advice), I put the MCAT off for 3 months, and applied late. I don't regret it. My MCAT score saved my application. If I were you, I would seriously consider putting off the MCAT until you're ready.

I don't want to be pessimistic here, but it sounds like you're setting yourself up for failure. Your GPA is on the low side, so you need to do well on the MCAT. There is no way you can properly study for it while taking 23 units of classes. The MCAT isn't about how well you know the material; it's about how well you know the test. To do well, you need to be able to study for a good 6 hours a day for 3 months. I was trying to do what you are doing (with maybe half as many units) but I realized that I couldn't do both in my classes and on the MCAT. So (against everybody's advice), I put the MCAT off for 3 months, and applied late. I don't regret it. My MCAT score saved my application. If I were you, I would seriously consider putting off the MCAT until you're ready.

i disagree, I think the MCAT is everything about how well you know the material (can't be easily swayed to choose a misleading answer.) and deduce conclusions from written word.

I bet if someone studied just material and learned it cold and only had a vague idea of what the MCAT was like, they would still do very very well.

Thank you in advance.

I freakin' love you...sorry...

First of all thank you for the honest advice...secondly, just to set the record straight...my gpa is not low because i was a slacker, lazy or dumb. I had some really bad personal reasons that contributed to two very bad semesters. When it comes to MCAT once i have some time off i fly through the material (i can sit all day long and do 400 problems in chemistry...it's not an issue for me, plus i am always good when i study under preasure, i just work that way and i always get things done).
Taking 23 credit hr is though but i am doing OK. Have 5 A's so far and i am borderline B/C in orgo. I think it is hard to compare ppl to ppl because everyone is different. While you may need 3 moths of hardcore study i may do just fine with 2 weeks.
We will see.
I am not sure if i will be taking any classes during summer because i have no idea how to get funds for them:oops: I may end up taking biochem online via UNECOM since i like to study on my own anyways.
Thank you all for your advice and keep it comming:D :love:

I don't honestly know. Biochem is supposed to be hard. I never took it. Some people are really good at it though. But, there is always the possibility that it would hurt your GPA. Retaking gen chem can only help it provided you don't stop going to the class or something stupid like that. But, I wouldn't wait until you get the grade back to apply. Therefore, it wouldn't be calculated in your initial GPA. I think some schools may also require biochem. So, like I said, I don't know. My vote is....screw the chem and take a bio elective!:love: :laugh: :luck:

Sorry I can't be of more help. :oops:

well i am sure that i would get an A in genchem1 if i retake it. As you know i had some circumstances while taking it so i know that i can do better with certain distractions.
Thank you for advice as always you rock:love:

lol...i guess no talk about defacement of roman figures anymore:p ;)

Oh, they are getting defaced. It is time to break off some noses. Damn Romans and their Greek hatin' ways.

Kicia is going to get a 37. PS 15 VR 7 BS 15. Damn ESL:laugh:

haha. if that happens i will walk on Michigan Avenue without my clothes on:laugh: ;)

u can figure what the chances are...none:D
I will be happy if i get 26.
Though when i took one of the 101 EK verbals i got 8...didn't do more so i have no clue how i will be doing with some practice. I keep on running out of time on most sections except for PS.
Damn ESL!:mad:

Though when i took one of the 101 EK verbals i got 8...didn't do more so i have no clue how i will be doing with some practice. I keep on running out of time on most sections except for PS.

seriously? thats weird about the runnign out of time. Everyone I know, including myself, has a hard time finishing PS on time. But BS I finished with 20+ minutes to spare every time (except test day).

seriously? thats weird about the runnign out of time. Everyone I know, including myself, has a hard time finishing PS on time. But BS I finished with 20+ minutes to spare every time (except test day).

i guess i am very different then.
For PS i had about 2 minutes left but i alwasy try to overthing on the BS (i am not counting VR because this one is different).
It seems like i try to make it more tricky then it is. It's not like i don't know the science...i just approach the q's with a thought in mind it is tricky and sometimes i will mark the wrong answer because i think the right one comes too easy to be the right one...ehhh:(

apply EARLY...and rock MCATS...gluck..you WILL be fine!

Hmmm. I didn't know all people were created equally, nor were the same. Some people have problems with certain things that may be easier for others and vice-versa. Don't stereotype.

hey dr. kicia...i ALWAYS ran out of time on all the sections too except for my last mcat. it took some time, but def practice your sections under timed conditions. For me in verbal, i did not look at the clock after every passage, instead, i made sure i was done or very close to done with 5 passages at the 40 minute mark....for BS and PS i had a marker to be done with half the questions in about 45 min at the latest. it really helped to only get through chunks of time rather than worry about every passage. constantly checking the time after a passage breaks my flow of concentration so this was a better method for me.

i think the time of the mcat has changed since last august so these times may be different (i'm going on a 85 min verbal and 100 min BS and PS). anyways, it takes some time to get down the timing, but if u consistently practicie you will make it :) it starts to get better and better when it comes closer to exam time...i can tell u that i did not run out of time on any of the sections on my last mcat and i did well. u can do it! practice is really the key :luck: :luck:

Hmmm. I didn't know all people were created equally, nor were the same. Some people have problems with certain things that may be easier for others and vice-versa. Don't stereotype.

stereotype?:confused: Did I say "All Polish girls finish their BS sections, but no the PS?" or something?

stereotype?:confused: Did I say "All Polish girls finish their BS sections, but no the PS?" or something?

Kuba: seriously? thats weird about the runnign out of time. Everyone I know, including myself, has a hard time finishing PS on time. But BS I finished with 20+ minutes to spare every time (except test day).

Hmmm, it sure does seem like a blanket generalization. Not everyone may be able to finish BS with enough time to spare and some may consider the PS to be easier. Just because someone doesn't match up to you or "those you know" doesn't give you the right to attack them.

Kuba: seriously? thats weird about the runnign out of time. Everyone I know, including myself, has a hard time finishing PS on time. But BS I finished with 20+ minutes to spare every time (except test day).

Hmmm, it sure does seem like a blanket generalization. Not everyone may be able to finish BS with enough time to spare and some may consider the PS to be easier. Just because someone doesn't match up to you or "those you know" doesn't give you the right to attack them.

Oh, you two are SOOOO CUTE!!!!:love: :laugh:

Ah premed bliss... we're all in for a rude awakening when free time approaches 0 asymptotically over the next 2-3 years...

also:

I had ALWAYS run out of time on every section prior to test day... on test day, I finished VR and PS early... with VR I was almost 10 minutes early. Prior to test day, I had always had to guess on almost an entire passage.

My trick was to read my gf's econ book between sections on test day... read something in the social sciences to switch gears. :thumbup:

I was dead tired by the time i got to biosciences... I was only able to sleep 3 hours the night before the exam. It's too bad... I had been scoring 10's and 11's consistently... oh well, take the good with the bad.

The secret to doing well on the MCAT? Review the material AND, most importantly, TAKE LOTS OF TIMED PRACTICE EXAMS. I fully recommend Kaplan.