Freakin' out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pickaname

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 24 programs and have only received five interviews. I have not heard from four places.
I think that I am an average applicant, but my application went out late.
Do I have any chance of matching? Is there anything that I can do on interview day to make my chances better?:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Picka-

Don't freak out. You have done better than most applicants! How many EM residents do you know had to go down to spot #5 for their match? I know of only one resident who had to go to #6 on his list... other than that, everyone I talk to is around 1-3.

In regards to preparing for the interviews and waht you can do... you should just do what you would normally do. Show interest (if you have it), and be yourself.

Also, it can't hurt to communicate to the places that haven't offered you an interview yet.
Q

....and fire your adviser. If you're truly average, 24 was way too few applications in EM. I was advised 30-50. I thought I was above average and so went with 30. Trust me, it doesn't hurt to have to cancel interviews. But I have friends who are average who applied to 50, and have more interviews than they need. Its like med school applications, you gotta apply to enough that you find someone to like you, just a simple numbers game. As for now, make sure everyone of those programs knows they are on your "short list," in "your top 5," etc. Some PDs have stated that expressed preference does enter into their rank list. Good luck. All you need is one interview. And I agree, call anyone who hasn't outright rejected you yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your thoughts. You're right I should have applied to more programs. I know of a few programs that have app deadlines at the end of this month. Do you think that I ought to apply to some of those?

Thanks again

I don't think it can hurt. What's the worst that could happen? They either tell you its too late or just dont' give you an interview... the best that could happen is they give you an interview and you match there. I think its worth the risk.