freaking out a bit

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by MsPurtell, Aug 28, 2001.

1. MsPurtell

MsPurtell Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi everyone -

My pre-health advisor is dragging his feet about getting out my composite letter of rec. The rest of my app has been completed ages ago. I'm starting to get nervous that his actions are going to impact my ability to get interviews in a timely fashion and will ultimately affect my ability to get into my school of choice (SUNY-Stony Brook). Just how firm (if at all) do you think I should get with him? Do you think this is hurting me? :rolleyes: Luckily, I did get one interview request from Temple so far, but I don't think other schools are as likely to invite me for an interview without the letter.

Thanks, Margaret

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. crimson

crimson What up Smokey!

hey... you should clarify what's holding up your comp. letter. if it is something negative in the letters themselves, then you need to play it cool and give the advisor time and space to draft a letter that gives the best spin possible. if it is 'cause he/she's being lazy, then u need to sound firmer and remind the advisor that it is being unresponsible to hvae all your recommendors send in their letters and then you not to have a composite letter.
    have a chat and insist on knowing the real reason. you have come too far to let such things decide outcomes. :)

4. waiting

waiting Senior Member

Margaret,

I was in the same boat until recently....I sent in my AADSAS app on 6/22 but my committee letter didn't finally go out until last Friday! Like you, I was very pissed off about it and kept calling the committee office to get updates.....I was very firm, letting them know why it was so important to me to get the letter out (I had gone through lots of trouble to get the rest of my app out early since it's to my advantage, etc.) yet at the same time I tried not to be pushy....at my school they wait and send every applicants committee letter off together so that no one has a time advantage over another. Maybe that's what your school is doing? Either way, it should have gone out by now so keep hounding them.....and then make sure to call schools a few days after you know it's been sent out to check to see if they received the letter....

:)

5. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    What is a committee/composite letter? Please get me upto date on this. Thanks.

-DesiDentist

6. MsPurtell

MsPurtell Guest

Hi all,

Well my letter is FINALLY going out today!!! Any idea how long it will take me to get interviews? Since I know I want to go to SUNY - Stony Brook, what do you guys think of e-mailing the dean, letting him know that I truly want to attend there and simply asking to be interviewed early? Can't hurt, can it? I'm really worried that being it's the end of August already that I may not make it into the first round of interviews. I know I'll surely eventually get an interview there because my app is pretty outstanding. Why not just try to get the interview earlier - right?

Thanks, Margaret :D

7. MsPurtell

MsPurtell Guest

Oh, and for Desi Dentist -

Schools require letters of rec as part of the admissions process. Some schools will accept individual letters from profs, but if your school has a pre-health committee, they are likely to want you to have the advisor draft a composite letter based on the individual letters of the profs.
    Let me know if you have any other questions about the admissions process. Margaret :)