freaking out about CV error, all/any input appreciated!

ClinicalPsyPhd

5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2011
  1. MD/PhD Student
    I applied to 16 Clinical Psychology Ph.D. programs before realizing that, on my CV, the citation for a submitted manuscript in which I'm a coauthor was missing other coauthors. I submitted it with the correct primary author (a grad student), and myself only. I didn't include the grad student's mentors, who are also coauthors. The manuscript was submitted to a fairly prestigious journal, but it hasn't been reviewed yet so I don't think it can be tracked. I happened to mention in one line in my personal statement to all programs that I submitted the manuscript with "doctoral candidate ____", so if someone is weary of the names mentioned on my CV and in my statement, they would make the connection that I did not submit it with a PhD-awarded primary author. I also mentioned that the manuscript was completed while working at ___ laboratory, so I'm not sure if that worsens or helps the situation

1) Do you think this error is particularly noticeable? I only have one publication, but multiple posters and abstracts are also included in my CV.

2) If the authors in my citation DO raise red flags, would it be a bad enough situation to be the sole cause of my not getting an interview?

3) Should I send an updated version of my CV to the programs that let me, or would that highlight my mistake?

If anyone has any advice, please let me know! I'd hate for all my time, effort, and money to go to waste because of something like this....

DoctorSiggy

5+ Year Member
    Nov 12, 2011
      I would worry because they will contact the journal. Once they find out, bye bye all 15 sites. You will be blacklisted from the field of psychology..... I'm kidding, they wont even notice it.... Many programs spend a few minutes on application. In my program they receive 100 applications and cant spend hours on each applicant. 5 minutes max

ClinicalPsyPhd

5+ Year Member
      Dec 21, 2011
      1. MD/PhD Student
        I would worry because they will contact the journal. Once they find out, bye bye all 15 sites. You will be blacklisted from the field of psychology..... I'm kidding, they wont even notice it.... Many programs spend a few minutes on application. In my program they receive 100 applications and cant spend hours on each applicant. 5 minutes max

Wow, your post almost gave me a heart attack! Thanks for your input, I'm just in worry mode... like all the other applicants on this site, haha. I appreciate any feedback that could get me back to reality!

About the Ads

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
        Volunteer Staff
        Lifetime Donor
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Dec 25, 2008
          I wouldn't worry as long as your place in the author list is still correct, which it sounds like it is.

This. As long as your position in the author list is still correct, it shouldn't be an issue.

Plus, I dont know how much weight admissions committees really give submitted/in prep manuscripts, tbh, especially if you don't have any publications. Could very well be wrong, though. *shrug*

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
          Moderator Emeritus
          Verified Expert
          15+ Year Member
          Oct 7, 2006
          The Beach
          1. Psychologist
            I still pick up an error here or there when I going over my CV, and I've had 10+ people review it in the past 2 years. A couple of days ago I found a tense error ("demonstrate" instead of "demonstrated"). Not a big deal. If you lied on your CV...that would be a big deal.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.